PDA

View Full Version : Melb show

rsser
24th October 2008, 04:35 PM
Diff ballgame at the Showgrounds (Friday trip).

Good to have more space.

Could see a Lucas mill at work in the outside section; amazing.

Good range of exhibitors.

Great to see a stall at which visitors could try their hand at turning.

A 'left luggage' security area was a darn good idea.

On the downside, food was v. expensive, Richard Raffan's big lathe was dead and he demo'd sharpening, as well as spindle stuff on a small job; no program or map available there.

Mulgabill
24th October 2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Ern!
Anything of note we should look-up? or is it the ususal suspects,. I will visit on Sunday.

rsser
24th October 2008, 04:56 PM
Hi Russell,

Special post for woodturners ;-}

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=81251

Pat
24th October 2008, 07:48 PM
Ern, is it at the Melbourne Showgrounds at Flemington? If so there is a pdf (http://www.workingwithwood.com/melbourne/plans/TWWWMelbourne08.pdf) map of the site, unfortunately it does not list the exhibitors.

rsser
24th October 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks Pat.

Added: yep, at the Showgrounds.

Neil posted a map (and program?) elsewhere.

FWIW the organisers said they'd have them tomorrow .. Sat.

GJ got a free ticket on the basis of a complaint today. So if they don't have 'em tomorrow, rip into 'em.

dai sensei
24th October 2008, 08:33 PM
I heard you were there Ern, but didn't see you :?.

Had a ball today and met up with a heap of forumites from Melbourne and Tasmania. Got to spread the forum word around to quite a few people. I was also surprised to meet heaps of people that admitted to lurking for years - I have to ask myself why would you do that :?, why not just join?

Anyway, great to catch up again, catch you local guys and gals next trip down or when you next come up.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
24th October 2008, 09:14 PM
FWIW the organisers said they'd have them tomorrow .. Sat.

I saw a program late this arvo, so they must have finally arrived from the printers :2tsup:

Stuart
24th October 2008, 09:21 PM
Other than Neil's, there is also a copy here (http://stusshed.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/melbourne-wood-show-floor-plan/)
(Click image for large view)

Great first day - had a blast!

DJ’s Timber
24th October 2008, 09:43 PM
Great first day - had a blast!

Same here as well, love the new venue :2tsup:, better parking, access and neat building with plenty of room.

At the drinks and nibbles after close of day today the organisers said they realised that there is a few kinks here and there but they are working on it and will put what they learn this year into improving it for next year :2tsup:

Oh and yeah, spent way tooooooo muuuccchhhhh money :doh:

Bismar
24th October 2008, 09:57 PM
Someone take pity on the uni kid with exams and post some pictures :P Stupid monash :(

Sturdee
24th October 2008, 10:19 PM
They were handing out the program when I was leaving, although it listed the stall numbers and holders it did not have a map showing the location of the stalls.

Not a problem for me as I found the stands that I wanted to buy my goodies at were easy to find.

Took the tram and train this morning and it was easy enough to get to, less walking to then when it was at the Exhibition centre so the new location is better.

Great to catch up with quite a few (in particular Brendan the sausage man :U ) but I had to leave early as I had run out of money and had to change the brake pads on my car when I got home. :~

Peter.

Stuart
24th October 2008, 10:33 PM
Oh and yeah, spent way tooooooo muuuccchhhhh money :doh:And we know what you spent all your money on!

At least you substituted green for green ;) :D

Groggy
24th October 2008, 11:03 PM
Oh and yeah, spent way tooooooo muuuccchhhhh money :doh:Yep, classic first day overspeed :D

Woodwould
24th October 2008, 11:34 PM
I really wanted to go to the show and purchase lots of good stuff for my new workshop (cupboard?). I no longer drive and the Minister for Transport is working behind the scenes at the Maffra show this weekend which ruled out a visit to the show.

So yes, let's see photos of all the forumites and other spectacles please! Do you all wear a red carnation or walk around carrying a rolled-up newspaper, or how do you all identify each other?

Chesand
25th October 2008, 07:06 AM
So yes, let's see photos of all the forumites and other spectacles please! Do you all wear a red carnation or walk around carrying a rolled-up newspaper, or how do you all identify each other?

All wear our Forum shirts and/or caps.

It was good to catch up again with many others on the Forum stand - it was pleasure to help out spreading the word.

I also had a good day - did not spend a lot - and will be back this afternoon.

gonty
25th October 2008, 08:40 AM
As a new woodworker, I was super keen to get to the show. Had some money to spend on tools and wanted to look at and handle some box making timbers to kick off my interest in hand-cut dovetails.

Then the flu and another condition that doesn't want mentioning runs through our household and I'm stuck at home. :(

Hope y'all have a great time.

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 10:14 AM
All right you lot, here's some snap before the rush :o, first one is of the main entrance where everyone is queuing to get in :;

86756 86757 86758 86759 86760 86766 86762 86763 86764 86765

Big Shed
25th October 2008, 10:23 AM
DJ, nice set of pics. Attachment 86761 shows up as an invalid attachment.

Edit:

Well, b*gger me, now it shows up?

Oh, I see, you deleted it.

(NO, I wasn't imagining it!)

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah, silly me didn't rotate it before I loaded them up :doh:

Pat
25th October 2008, 10:32 AM
Good pics DJ, Pauline still looks as good as ever, Neil & Jim are still the dignified gents, Stuart is still a big lump & is still bloody !:U

Woodwould
25th October 2008, 10:37 AM
Great photos, thanks! What a vast space! I can just smell it all.

Redgy
25th October 2008, 03:38 PM
My first time to the Melbourne show, I normally go to the Adelaide one but as it's 1000k round trip from here either way I thought I'd head East this year. Gotta say it was much better than the Adelaide ones I've been too, a lot more timber on display and it was well laid out. Spent up big too :oo: with Festool, Makita, CMT, Mr Gifkins and LUNCH :(( all getting their share :D

Cheers
Redgy

PS, if someone reads this and goes afterward, could they find out the name of the tall American guy doing demos at the Festool stand....cheers.

Groggy
25th October 2008, 04:37 PM
His name is Eli.

ptc
25th October 2008, 04:49 PM
Tassy missed out this year
as usual.

rsser
25th October 2008, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't say is still the same at all. Appears that he and DJ have swapped some, er, 'presence' ;-}

Peter, next year get over here and I'll put you up. It's a lot of fun. Maybe we could have a turn-fest on the Sunday to make it more worthwhile.

Aaron r
25th October 2008, 05:31 PM
I was this close to leaving with only minimal damage to the wallet....... then I spotted some Rose Mahogany with my name on it, all went downhill from there:doh:

Nice to see my neighbor again to :2tsup:

rsser
25th October 2008, 05:35 PM
:2tsup:

Call in again anytime Aaron.

You too Thumbsucker.

Redgy
25th October 2008, 05:53 PM
His name is Eli.

Thanks Groggy...

Stuart
25th October 2008, 08:38 PM
Who are you calling a lump? ;) :D

Wood Borer
25th October 2008, 08:48 PM
I had problems viewing one of the photos - possibly due to one of Neil's demonstrations or perhaps it is my monitor.

Anyway, if anyone else is having problems I have experimented and fixed the problem.

I won't be at this year's show - too busy with my shed. Say g'day to everyone for me.

Stuart
26th October 2008, 02:47 AM
Nice work there WB - someone has to print them out and frame the before and after for him!

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2008, 10:50 AM
Here's a pic of Stu and Stan from Mullumbimby Timbers sharing an intimate moment :o

Chesand
26th October 2008, 11:05 AM
People will talk

rsser
26th October 2008, 11:21 AM
A tart for a few beers :p

gerpar
26th October 2008, 01:00 PM
Couldn't agree more about the space. I went Friday and didn't get a map either. However on my return visit Sunday at least there was a list of exhibitors available at the front desk.

I purchased a drill press and finding the parcel pick area almost needed a GPS unit. The area is not marked and even the exhibitor's people weren't sure what was happening. New venue I suppose exhibitors and customers have to get use to it.

Other than that I had a wonderful time even though the pocket is a lot lighter.

Mulgabill
26th October 2008, 03:22 PM
Just returned from the show at their new location. I think it is a winner despite some teething problems. Some of my observations were:
Pros: Parking- ease and cost, Plenty of room to walk between exhibitors
Cons: Catering - the lack of & price, "Show Specials" - the lack of & price

On speaking to some exhibitors, the majority were happy with the change despite early reservations. The minority were perhaps just having a bad weekend or expected too much from the changed venue.

Stuart
26th October 2008, 07:40 PM
Bloody hell - you can't even see the sausage roll!

Optimark
26th October 2008, 07:55 PM
I agree, the sausage appears to not move, more or less.

I wonder though about the difference there may be if one used a politically incorrect piece of dead animal, instead of really dead and re-manufactured animal?

I realise that a sausage is about the easiest thing you can use, but sausages are a lot less stiff than a human finger, at least my fingers have more stiffness than the type of sausage they demonstrate with!

Mick.

rsser
26th October 2008, 08:06 PM
Nah, can only see a banner 'Tool preservation society'.

KevM
26th October 2008, 08:17 PM
Bloody hell - you can't even see the sausage roll!
Stu was talking about the sausage roll he & Stan were sharing,t'was the last one left at the table and neither was going to let go.

Good to catch up with the other Melbournites at the show. Spent too much money, but was great hand tool .

Thanks to Brendan for the new blade, cut only 150mm of MDF, complete with a lump of aluminum and electronics attached.

Apart from the increased travelling time and catering, I felt the new shed had some definite advantages.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2008, 08:19 PM
Stan seems to have a nasty growth hanging from his lip. :~

Anyone know if he has seen a doctor about it?

Optimark
26th October 2008, 08:20 PM
Glad I didn't get my sausages mixed up then!

Mick.

Christopha
27th October 2008, 05:00 PM
Contrary to information supplied, as the person who actually took the picture;
A: It was not altered by manipulating the image.
B: There was no sausage actually in evidence.
C: The really scary bit was the long lingering looks after the "contact"
D: ;)

Jim Carroll
27th October 2008, 05:42 PM
Stu was very lucky that stan only slipped the tongue in the mouth as he has been known to tickle the ears as well.

rsser
27th October 2008, 05:47 PM
Roflmao !!

RETIRED
27th October 2008, 06:27 PM
Stu was very lucky that stan only slipped the tongue in the mouth as he has been known to tickle the ears as well.
Oh yeah!:oo:

Stuart
27th October 2008, 07:06 PM
(To the tune of "I kissed a girl")

I 'kissed' Big Stan but didn't like it
The feeling of his hairy top lip
I shared a roll with Big Stan and can't deny it
It felt so wrong, it felt so.....no I was right, it was wrong.....

:D Bloody Doorstoppers timing!

Christopha
28th October 2008, 08:22 AM
Stu.... Maaaaate...... GOTCHA! :D

Waldo
28th October 2008, 10:50 AM
Oh and yeah, spent way tooooooo muuuccchhhhh money :doh:

:no: you couldn't have done, you didn't buy me anything at all. :C