PDA

View Full Version : Turning Chisels are Breeding!

Pat
25th October 2008, 12:10 PM
On the rounds of the garage sales today, I called in to the Illawarra Woodworkers Group's fundraiser. On the table were two Kelton roughers + a spare tip each, 19mm & 12(?)mm @ $50 each and as I was talking to the boys one grabs a P&N 32mm Rougher NIB for $50 and put it on the table. So I walked away with the 19mm Kelton & the P&N. Kelton are a Kiwi mob and it has roughed Wattle, Paperbark and Liquid Amber like no tomorrow. I actually tried the P&N, compared it to the Kelton and put it back in it's tube and put it in a drawer.

Also picked up a lot of turning blanks:)

Edit, I had a look at the handle and it has the moniker of "The Kelton Wood Gouge" . Anyone know more about these toys as the Kelton website is mute.

wheelinround
26th October 2008, 09:53 AM
:o Was down at Kiama yesterday wish we had known about this

:2tsup: well done Pat

Ed Reiss
26th October 2008, 12:25 PM
Pat...I take it that $50 Australian is a good price then!?

rsser
26th October 2008, 01:04 PM
Few years back I picked up a small scraper at the local WW machinery shop. Roughly done handle though hollow and filled with lead shot. Had Kelton HSS stencilled in red on it.

Guy behind the counter said 'you got a good deal there'. For ten bucks it didn't seem to a newbie to be a brilliant deal :doh:

It's performed nicely as a dovetail scraper during the time since.

Haven't seen any ord chisels or gouges of Kel's since.

Pat
26th October 2008, 01:25 PM
For me the Kelton is fantastic for the price I paid. The P&N retails for 150 ish Au as it was NIB. I'll give the P&N a touch up and give it another go :)

I'm starting to think that I should have grabbed both Kelton's:doh:

Had a look on the Kelton site and did not see anything vaguely resembling the roughie.