PDA

View Full Version : Chisels blunting over time, without use?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 12:25 PM
I know it happens with CS chisels, if you sharpen 'em up and then leave them in the rack, given enough time they lose their edge & need a touch up. I've always assumed this was due to oxidation or similar.

But I've several HSS tools that I haven't used for quite some time and they're exhibiting the same symptoms. I know they were sharpened before they went on the rack, I know they haven't been used and yet when I went to grab one today it's... well... not exactly blunt, it's still sharp, but not as sharp as fresh off the wheel.

As it's HSS I doubt oxidation is to blame... so I thought I'd offer this question up to our more learned investigators (Hi Ern! :D) - "Why is it so?"

(Li'l wood fairies, flying around the shed at night, whacking the chisels with tiny wooden mallets perhaps?)

Pat
25th October 2008, 12:32 PM
(Li'l wood fairies, flying around the shed at night, whacking the chisels with tiny wooden mallets perhaps?)

You've got them too! Dunno what is the answer, apart from use them more often:U

barnsey
25th October 2008, 12:40 PM
Funny about that - happens here too - is it an alien plot:?

Your ID doesn't show where you are but in the sub tropics close to the coast here - it's the air. Humidity, salt and time will get at that fine edge. Even a preservative is no prevention. Just the price I pay for living here I've always thought. I don't mind touching up chisels, planes etc but it gets up my frock having to do the buzzer blades cause they seem to go off too. Maybe I need to invest in better grade material for them:?.

Oh and the hand saws are an issue as well. :~

I look forward to those of greater wisdom offering sage advice.

Jamie

Ed Reiss
25th October 2008, 12:58 PM
Sounds like you guys are getting a bit of the Australian "X-Files" syndrome!:think:

Grumpy John
25th October 2008, 01:51 PM
Skew,
What time frame are we looking at here? Not that I know what the cause is, but would it be worthwhile coating the tips with grease or perhaps dipping them in hot wax. This would keep the atmosphere out.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 02:07 PM
For CS I notice the effect in a matter of weeks, the HSS ones were probably last used some 9 months ago. :-

barnsey
25th October 2008, 02:52 PM
For CS I notice the effect in a matter of weeks, the HSS ones were probably last used some 9 months ago. :-

Yeah - I guess it's about that but seems much shorter, Skew ChiDAMN - you in a coastal region too? - just a rough guide 'll be enough in case you feel I'll send the aliens to your place:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah - I guess it's about that but seems much shorter, Skew ChiDAMN - you in a coastal region too? - just a rough guide 'll be enough in case you feel I'll send the aliens to your place:p

Sorry, Barnsey, I keep meaning to change my location but never get around ro it. :rolleyes:

Currently in Croydon/Kilsyth area, SE of Melbourne. So salt's not my problem, although moisture & humidity are potential culprits.

powderpost
25th October 2008, 10:19 PM
It is now 9.15 pm. I have just come up from sneaking down to the shed with a torch. Solved the problem Skew, sprung two elves using a gouge to dig glue off the bench. They claimed they were "helping" me out.
Just wonder if I should change my medication??? :p :D :D
Jim

Sawdust Maker
25th October 2008, 10:30 PM
least it was only the bench
the couple I caught were scraping liquid nails off the cement floor
reckoned it was some sort of OH&S problem :D

PS wonder if it was the same two you caught powderpost? green pointy floppy hats with long pointy ears?

Manuka Jock
25th October 2008, 10:40 PM
Its not the dried up old glue in the bench and the floor thats the problem lads :rolleyes:
its the solvent based stuff in the open tin on the shelf ya gotta watch out for :oo:

Screw the lid back on nice and tight , and then go for a long walk out in the fresh air ok :D

Texian
26th October 2008, 02:28 PM
Could it be the corrosion elf peeing on the tools? Might try a product called Boeshield T-9 if it's available there.

rsser
26th October 2008, 02:51 PM
Skew, it's just an artefact of your rosy memory of times past.

There's prob a forumula out there somewhere ;-}

(Added: nice Freudian slip in the shpellink there.)

Calm
26th October 2008, 08:09 PM
I know it happens with CS chisels, if you sharpen 'em up and then leave them in the rack, given enough time they lose their edge & need a touch up. I've always assumed this was due to oxidation or similar.

But I've several HSS tools that I haven't used for quite some time and they're exhibiting the same symptoms. I know they were sharpened before they went on the rack, I know they haven't been used and yet when I went to grab one today it's... well... not exactly blunt, it's still sharp, but not as sharp as fresh off the wheel.

As it's HSS I doubt oxidation is to blame... so I thought I'd offer this question up to our more learned investigators (Hi Ern! :D) - "Why is it so?"

Skew i think it's called alzheimers - tends to play with the memory about things we have done or not done.:D:D:D:D:p:p

Gra
26th October 2008, 08:13 PM
Stop opening the paint tins with them:wink::p:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2008, 08:17 PM
Skew i think it's called alzheimers - tends to play with the memory about things we have done or not done.:D:D:D:D:p:p

Nar. But with our family history I'm expecting it to set in soon, soon...

That's why I make it a habit at the end of the day to wipe down every turning chisel that's not in the rack and give 'em a quick touch to the wheel.

(The reason I say "aren't in the rack" is 'cos half the time I don't remember whether I actually used it or just got it out of the rack to use and forgot about it... :-:p)

I'm pretty sure it's those mongrel fairies. They've even taken to leaving the lid off my acetone & thinner's tins! :wink: