PDA

View Full Version : Opinions for Emperor Blank

digger
25th October 2008, 10:29 PM
I am after peoples opinions on what colour timber blank would make a classy gold emperor pen. For those not familiar with the emperor here is a sample of emperor

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/enlarge_popup?Args=&imgsrc=/products/large/emporer-pen_l.jpg

So far i am thinking a dark timber such as an African blackwood or Ebony which would also suit the intended recipient due to the country of origin, but these are often relatively plain and a bit too uniform in colour.

The carbatec catalogue has a similar sort of setup as that

http://www.carbatec.com.au/images/hires/EP-4130.jpg

I have some spare tubes coming for the kit so i will have the opportunity to make a few so what does everyone thing

gawdelpus
25th October 2008, 10:48 PM
Personally I think the pen speaks for itself ,if you try and make the wood the main focus then I think you lose some impact, Plain is good when you have such a kit. Elegance speaks for itself ,If you have an ordinary kit ,very plain then the wood can be the focus , in other words don't try and do too much ,it can get lost in the effect you are trying to achieve, some beautiful pens are crafted with so called "plain" woods .Color, grain, and textures all come into play as does personel preferences and historical relevance ,this is why the art is in putting the factors together as much as possible to have meaning and relevance to the new owner .sorry that does not answer your question for you hehe,but input from the new owner or at least some preferences from them will go a long way in the right direction. I have made some to me "ugly pens" but have found loving owners anyway :) cheers JD

JTTHECLOCKMAN
26th October 2008, 02:33 AM
Think white or ivory. Next choice pure black. The kit is the telltale piece there. It is a classy kit. I have seen it in a pearl white that was stunning. Too much grain will detract from the beauty of the kit. This is just my opinion

ciscokid
26th October 2008, 03:06 AM
Here are a couple of shots of differing timbers with that particular kit, ranging from light to dark, plain to fancy. Included are eucalyptus burl, amboyna burl, cocobolo, and afzilia. They may or may not help you decide a direction. Best of luck to you! It's a nice kit. :)

digger
26th October 2008, 09:57 AM
thanks for your replies, i will turn a few samples and do a bit of a mock up

Buzz
26th October 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm with the majority. The timber does not need to be too highly figured with a kit as "loud" as the Emperor. It does need to be finished to the very best of your ability.

funkychicken
26th October 2008, 03:15 PM
The CSUSA example uses Maple Burl and it looks veery nice.

Sam has made one with "White Web" Trustone and it looks stunning

Big Shed
26th October 2008, 03:20 PM
There are a large number of Emperor pictures right here on the forum

http://www.woodworkforums.com/search.php?searchid=3378874&pp=50

You should get some ideas from that lot.

ss_11000
28th October 2008, 12:13 AM
I think alternate Ivory is the way to go. But i also think a plainish Red timber wood look great as well.

digger
28th October 2008, 06:28 PM
There are a large number of Emperor pictures right here on the forum

http://www.woodworkforums.com/search.php?searchid=3378874&pp=50

You should get some ideas from that lot.

that link doesn't work for me:(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2008, 06:57 PM
Just search for "emperor" in the pen-turning section. :wink:

Personally I feel that plain(ish) timbers are generally better, as they show the detail of the kit to full advantage.

However, I've also seen some truly glorious emperor's that have used highly figured grain, so "plain" is really more of a rule of thumb than an inviolable law.

I think that some figured woods are successful because they're "low contrast" colours... ie. at first glance it's the kit detail that attracts the eye and it's not until you closely scrutinise the timber do you realise just how complex the grain is.

The very best, most "WOW!" pens that I've seen are the ones that break all the rules and that most people would say "bad choice of timber" if asked for advice before the turning started... :shrug:

Sawdust Maker
28th October 2008, 08:19 PM
I agree with plain, nearly monochromatic colour but with depth of grain or fiddleback in the timber
gidgee?
try a few and fit the one you like best. ie get extra tubes

which one of cisco's do you like?

crow400
29th October 2008, 11:46 PM
Queensland blackwood might be OK for a lighter colour. Maybe Tasmanian blackwood would suit for a darker finish. Both timbers have subtle figure.
Bruce