PDA

View Full Version : Free Segments Software

fiddlehead
4th April 2004, 10:31 PM
Check out my software on www.fiddlehead.biz - free download. It calculates segment dimensions for multi-ring bowls with a freehand mouse sketch of the outside profile of the piece. Let me know what you think of it, good, bad, or indifferent.

Thanks,

Keith

Barry_White
23rd May 2004, 05:19 PM
Hi Keith

I saw this site when you first posted it and was very interested in what you do with segmented bowls.

I am a patternmaker by trade and we used to make patterns using the segmented process. We used to make patterns for pulley drums and also the patterns for the castings to make the socket and spigot ends on the moulds to spin cast concrete pipes and these were any thing up to 8 feet in diameter.

The point that I am getting to here is that when we made our segments we would make a template out of 3 ply or hardboard of the segment with both the inside and outside diameter scribed plus some extra for cleaning up on the lathe and we would cut these out on the bandsaw and just cleanup the end faces on each segment on the face sander and when the pattern was built up it was in a basic circular shape.

Rather than trying to rough down all those protruding corners there was less tendency for the gouge to dig in especially when turning the inside of the pattern.

Hope this is of some help.

I am impressed with your software.

rgranger
25th October 2004, 06:50 AM
Check out my software on www.fiddlehead.biz (http://www.fiddlehead.biz/) - free download. It calculates segment dimensions for multi-ring bowls with a freehand mouse sketch of the outside profile of the piece. Let me know what you think of it, good, bad, or indifferent.

Thanks,

KeithI am unable to access your posted web site. Can you provide any assisstance or additional information, Thanks

graemet
25th October 2004, 09:00 PM
I am unable to access your posted web site. Can you provide any assisstance or additional information, Thanks Likewise, my browser can't find you
Graeme

JackoH
26th October 2004, 09:20 AM
Me Neither!