PDA

View Full Version : Segmented pot

Ad de Crom
27th October 2008, 01:33 AM
Spend the last two weeks my time with sawing and planen old beech shelves into segmented rings for this pot. The bottom part is oak. Made decoration dots on the top of the pot, 26 in total, turned for that bankirai into 8mm sticks.
The surface of the pot is not sanded inside or outside but I smooth the surface with a multifacenet scraper. I made this type of scrapers from a blade of an icespeed skate, these blades are 2mm thick, and grinded under an angle of about15 degrees. Works perfectly.
The pot is 200mm in the largest diameter, and has a height of 150mm.
Finished with three layers blanc colorless lacquer.
Anyway this job keeps me off the street, and was one big fun.
Thanks for looking.
Ad

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 05:01 AM
Way to go...sure beats sanding!!

Nice turning:2tsup:

wheelinround
27th October 2008, 08:38 AM
Ad very nice :2tsup: LOML walked in just as I clicked on photo said when am i going to do a segmented piece :doh: I said when she rushes out and buy's me that Bandsaw :U

Ray

joe greiner
27th October 2008, 08:58 PM
Well done, Ad.

Two weeks, eh? That's more like my pace.

Neat idea about using ice skate blades for scrapers too. And, believe it or not, I might have a set around here someplace, probably from a garage sale. We had a hockey team here for a while, and the civic center made the rink available for skaters. When the hockey team went walkabout, so did the ice.

Joe

powderpost
27th October 2008, 09:58 PM
Looks real nice Ad. Well done.
Jim

Ad de Crom
28th October 2008, 05:05 AM
Well done, Ad.

Two weeks, eh? That's more like my pace.

Neat idea about using ice skate blades for scrapers too. And, believe it or not, I might have a set around here someplace, probably from a garage sale. We had a hockey team here for a while, and the civic center made the rink available for skaters. When the hockey team went walkabout, so did the ice.

Joe

Joe I bought these skates a couple of years ago on the free market with Queen's day for one euro, knowing that it was good steel.
Here a picture of the scraper.

hughie
28th October 2008, 08:22 AM
Ad,
I always admire those who segmented work, as I have done a bit myself and know what it takes to get it looking good.

great job. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
28th October 2008, 08:37 AM
Guys, thank you all for your nice and inspiring comments.
Ad :2tsup:

Rum Pig
28th October 2008, 08:47 AM
Well done AD :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Wow 2 weeks I do not have that sort of patience yet. but I do like a segmented piece:U