PDA

View Full Version : What glue for timber toys?

Billy
27th October 2008, 05:39 PM
Hiyall, I'm new to the forum and I've been looking at Aussies beaut looking car.:2tsup: Thats the sort of thing I'd like to make, especially the Toys and Joys type. One thing I am not sure of ( amongst many ) is what sort of glue are you guys using, I guess in the long run I'd like to use glues only and never use a nail or screw again. Is that possible? Anyhoo, I'd like to find out what experience you've had with glues and what you're using now. It could save me a lot of trial and error. I fing the PVA type glues adequate but they do tend to bleed out a bit went clamping down pieces and when I put stain or varnishes on if theres a bit of glue I've missed there's an obvious mark.:no:
Also, is there a shop like Toys and Joys in Oz?
Cheers, Billy:roll:

glock40sw
28th October 2008, 08:17 AM
G'day.
You can't go wrong with Titebond Ultimate III.
We use it by the tonne for laminating hardwood and after pressing, you can't see the glue line.

It doesn't show thru stains either.

Billy
28th October 2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Glock, my mission today is to track some down.
cheers, billy

Ozkaban
28th October 2008, 02:17 PM
Titebond III is awesome stuff, though I tend to use it only when the joint is likely to be exposed to the elements or water, etc. For general stuff, I use titebond I or II depending on how I'm feeling... They're cheaper and are likely to be plenty strong enough for toys and the like.

Cheers,
Dave

keju
6th November 2008, 11:53 AM
The only shop kind of like Toy's and Joys over here that I know of is Aschis Workshop. He sell plans for all sorts of toys.... he draws them up himself and they are to scale, but still meant as toys for kids ( or grown ups) to actually play with.
There is also a free plan on his site and instructions on how to make wheels.

Juvy

Aschis Workshop (http://www.aschisworkshop.com/)

Billy
13th November 2008, 05:52 PM
yes indeedy, titebond I seems to be the go. I got some at the lumber bunker at West Gosford, nice tools and timber there too, I'll definitely be spending more time and $ there.

AUSSIE
28th November 2008, 08:14 PM
Hiyall, I'm new to the forum and I've been looking at Aussies beaut looking car.:2tsup: Thats the sort of thing I'd like to make, especially the Toys and Joys type. One thing I am not sure of ( amongst many ) is what sort of glue are you guys using, I guess in the long run I'd like to use glues only and never use a nail or screw again. Is that possible? Anyhoo, I'd like to find out what experience you've had with glues and what you're using now. It could save me a lot of trial and error. I fing the PVA type glues adequate but they do tend to bleed out a bit went clamping down pieces and when I put stain or varnishes on if theres a bit of glue I've missed there's an obvious mark.:no:
Also, is there a shop like Toys and Joys in Oz?
Cheers, Billy:roll:
Hi Billy
Havent long been back from holidays.Checking through forum and spot your thread
There is a couple of places selling plans for cars etc.But I like the full size plans from
Toys and Joys .
I have looked at others form other suppliers and also purchased books with plans to compare.
I have learned a lot from making that car.The next one hopefully will have opening bonnet,boot and doors.
Also thinking off head and tail lights along with interior and dash lighting.
At the time I built the 34 Chev.I didnt have a large bandsaw,I had to get another person to resaw the Jarrah for the sides.I built the car using cheap basic tools.Nothing fancy at all.
Give one ago ,it is easier than you think.They are not toys for little kids though,big kids maybe (us).
As for glue used on car,it is all done with epoxy and different grades off CA glue.
Mainly because it is quick and /or strong making life easy.I didnt want to use PVA for the reasons you mentioned and others.But that is just me.I am a relative beginner to woodwork
PM me if you want
AUSSIE