PDA

View Full Version : I've got the missus turning

jefferson
27th October 2008, 08:53 PM
Not sure whether I should have said missus or wife. Political correctness.

But I got her onto the VL300 yesterday, what better place to start. And I had some (we think) Huon pine offcuts for her to play with.

I'm not the teacher that is, but I had Anne following the golden rules.

First, tool on the rest, then rub the bevel, then lift.....

I had her standing on a riser board to accommodate her lack of height. Problem will be to set the new VL 100 at the same height, so the riser board is the same.

After 20 minutes or so, I left her at it. Got a coldie from the fridge, to return to absolute glee - curlies with the roughing gouge. Now what more can I say? I think she's addicted already.

Just got to find a business name for a bodgy hubbie-wife combo that can turn a little.....

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
27th October 2008, 08:58 PM
:worthless:

tea lady
27th October 2008, 09:07 PM
's fault.:D

woodwork wally
27th October 2008, 09:46 PM
's fault.:D
I second the above motion and remember SWMBO has only let you think you have got her turning so that she gets to use the lathe:D . in actual fact you have been out "whatever it is" and snookered and that there Vicmark is about to become HERS:)
and I think maybe a new forum member is about to happen:2tsup: . Good luck and cheers Wally

Papa
27th October 2008, 09:49 PM
BIG MISTAKE!:roll::roll::roll:

My shop is my get a way.:C:C:C

RETIRED
27th October 2008, 09:58 PM
's fault.:DHehe,(evil snicker):-:cool:

powderpost
27th October 2008, 10:05 PM
Does this transgress the woodies code of conduct. :p :D
Jim

thefixer
27th October 2008, 10:47 PM
Does this transgress the woodies code of conduct. :p :D
Jim

Nope, can't find anything in the code that refers to SWMBO using a blokes tools. But care must be taken to ensure that said SWMBO does not breech the rules.:p I.E wanting to install window coverings, (see section 5.13 of the code of practice) or clean the cobwebs, (section 5.6) or, heaven forbid, install a second seat (section 5.3) so she can sit and watch while you do your blokely thing:( grrrrrr.

Cheers
Shorty

robyn2839
27th October 2008, 11:15 PM
dangerous stuff jeff, look who,s going to be cooking tea while wifey is finishing off a bowl or pen, at least you get to jump up and down when she walks dust into the house and sawdust over the washing(which you will be doing by the way) if i were you i would think this right out first before you loose your shed,...........................be carefull........bob

jefferson
28th October 2008, 08:51 AM
I think I'll be alright. I'm retired, but the missus has got another 10 years to go. So I'll retain ownership of my shed and gear for at least that long.

I've got her turning both hands, ala 's way. She's doing roughing cuts, planing with the skew, v-cuts and some rough hollows. Not too bad a start. And she's not gripping the chisels too hard either.

As for sharing tools.... Guess I'll have to acquire some for her as well! No idea what tools turners use for pens, but she seems keen on the idea.

And DJ, if I ever find my connection from the camera to the computer, I will flood you with pics!

Jeff

hughie
28th October 2008, 08:59 AM
Ho Ho it wont extra tools but an extra lathe to boot. Then the shed maybe too small.......

wheelinround
28th October 2008, 09:07 AM
Jeff I sympathise :doh::roll: LOML is wrapped hooked almost enough to give away her woollen crafts:no:

rsser
28th October 2008, 01:35 PM
Good for Anne, and Jeff, despite all the doomsayers, you're lucky to have a missus who is taking an interest.

Will give you something else to talk about over dinner.

Grumpy John
28th October 2008, 05:45 PM
My wife said she'd turn for Jennefer Hawkins or Elle McPherson :D. Now that I'd like to see :2tsup:.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2008, 06:01 PM
Isn't it amazing what we'll do to get new tools? :D

Woodwould
28th October 2008, 06:33 PM
I've got the missus turning

What sort of chuck did you use? I presume it's not a copy lathe.

Rattrap
28th October 2008, 06:38 PM
Don't go crying to us when she kicks u outa your own shed! rofl.

Robomanic
28th October 2008, 10:51 PM
My wife said she'd turn for Jennefer Hawkins or Elle McPherson :D. Now that I'd like to see :2tsup:.

hahahaha

I spent 30min going crazy looking for a screwdriver few weeks ago. LOML (still) sheepishly admitted to 'tidying'. :~ First and last time :no:

We did make a coffee table for her parents a few years ago though. I guided her through the first leg and turned the other 3 to match. Lots of fun had by all, and the in-laws still have it so good on ya Jeff (and :; ).

La truciolara
29th October 2008, 07:18 AM
That is great Jefferson
And congratulation to Anne.
I must say I'm always surprise to see how easily ladies start turning. They never fight the wood, it looks like they are slow, but when finally the piece is turned they start sanding with the 320 grit while men (at least some) start with the 140 grit to correct some turning mistakes.
Only for huge and large pieces they find it is fisically demanding.

Jefferson, please show us a picture. I'm trying, with not much success I'd say, to convinced laidies to come and learn turning, in fact on my web site I only have laidies turners... but I'd love to see more of them embarking on that fantastic trip.

rsser
29th October 2008, 01:13 PM
My missus has never shown an interest in turning herself, but gawd bless her, when she saw me struggling with my first chuck - cheap Chinese - gave me the dough to get a decent one.

She cares little about technique but will share my enthusisam for a piece that's come up well with interesting figure.

She just emailed from Plymouth UK about a big thin-turned Oak burr bowl she saw in a gallery there.

And it makes giving me pressies easy: a gift voucher for a tool or turning blank.

She's perfectly happy when I spend hours in the shed.

(Prob. not simply a matter of sharing my pleasure in a nice bit of wood!).

lubbing5cherubs
30th October 2008, 08:55 AM
yeehaa another woman in the ranks.Cool.
Toni

PS as for me stealing tools in our house it the other away because if I need anything I buy it but my hubby won't he just borrows never seen again. HE drives me mad leaving them where he finishes it and once I even found my skew out in the yard where he opened a paint can. That made me mad enough but it had a nice blue end as well where he used it as the paint stirrer. Well it takes a lot for me to really angry but this did it. I got a brand new good quality that he shouted so perhaps should let him wreck more of mine

Manuka Jock
30th October 2008, 11:37 AM
Toni ,
if ya leave ya crappy old cheap chisels laying about within easy reach ,
who knows what the tool fairy may bring eh :D