PDA

View Full Version : Some more cups and saucers.

tea lady
27th October 2008, 10:09 PM
Hand thrown and decorated cups, with turned blackwood, tassy oak stained blue, jarrah and spalted tassy oak. (I think.:hmm: )

RETIRED
27th October 2008, 10:13 PM
Some of those look familiar.:wink::D

Claw Hama
27th October 2008, 10:13 PM
Ahhh look what can we say, such a talented Tea Lady and so veratile. Your work, both in wood and ceramics is just great. Keep up the good work.

ss_11000
27th October 2008, 10:54 PM
Nice :2tsup:

what did you dye the platter with?

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 11:01 PM
Yay....more frisbees!!!

Good work TL:2tsup:

tea lady
27th October 2008, 11:06 PM
Nice :2tsup:

what did you dye the platter with?
Feest and Watsons timber stain. Then satin wipe on polly. Might have been better to use water based stain as WOP picks up the stain, but worked OK. Rubbed back to an even colour. Maybe mix the stain in the WOP?

RufflyRustic
28th October 2008, 09:18 AM
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!! :):2tsup:

Woodwould
28th October 2008, 09:34 AM
I particularly like this one:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87054&d=1225105716

OGYT
28th October 2008, 11:26 AM
Beautiful work, TL! You're a very talented lady. :)

hughie
29th October 2008, 01:07 PM
an excellent result. :2tsup: good shape and form

Ad de Crom
30th October 2008, 12:49 AM
Tea Lady, first your ideas are great, I like it a lot, and for all you have the right feeling in your fingertips.
Have to try that by myself to surprise my LOML, I know she'll love it.
Keep em going.
Ad :2tsup:

underfoot
30th October 2008, 05:40 AM
simple, elegant and really compliment your pottery TL, (you have "the eye") very nice indeed :)
watching your progress may convince me to 'turn' yet :oo:

Sawdust Maker
31st October 2008, 10:18 PM
v v nice , superb :2tsup:
I like the last two
I might have to put in an order for a special coffee cup

tea lady
31st October 2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys. I know you always say nice things here.:cool: Still making more variations on the theme for the Pottery expo. Might leave the blue experiments for a bit though. :rolleyes: Just put them on the back burner, The tassie oak as looking a bit boring that's all. Was good to turn though. :shrug:

Calm
1st November 2008, 06:31 AM
Very classy & elegant TL :2tsup::2tsup:

corbs
1st November 2008, 07:32 AM
I love how the Tassie Oak looks stained blue:2tsup:. Might have to try that one on a pen:wink:.

JDarvall
1st November 2008, 08:59 AM
I particularly like this one:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87054&d=1225105716

I'm fond of that too. staining looks good. Maybe have a range of stained saucers TL in different colours....probably already thought of it though.

NeilS
1st November 2008, 03:30 PM
The tassie oak as looking a bit boring that's all. Was good to turn though. :shrug:

As one potter/woodturner to another (probably the only two such hybrids on this forum), nice work there.

As for the Tasmanian Oak saucer, it looks just fine to me but perhaps not with the cobalt blue. Just keep that for when you get into your wood fired period... look out Gwyn Hanssen Pigot!

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=349289

BTW - the only other potter/woodturner I know of is Simon Raffan, Richard Raffan's brother, who works in Nth Tassy. Your are in rarefied company there!

Neil

springwater
1st November 2008, 06:11 PM
They look good Tea Lady, just a thought though, I'm not sure if it's possible but can you turn a saucer from this aspect:
I would expect problems with cracking but maybe there's a wood that may handle it.

tea lady
1st November 2008, 06:19 PM
As one potter/woodturner to another (probably the only two such hybrids on this forum), nice work there.

As for the Tasmanian Oak saucer, it looks just fine to me but perhaps not with the cobalt blue. Just keep that for when you get into your wood fired period... look out Gwyn Hanssen Pigot!

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=349289

BTW - the only other potter/woodturner I know of is Simon Raffan, Richard Raffan's brother, who works in Nth Tassy. Your are in rarefied company there!

Neil There is also Patsy Healy, Although she doesn't turn her own I think.

So where are the pics of yours?:?:D

They look good Tea Lady, just a thought though, I'm not sure if it's possible but can you turn a saucer from this aspect:
I would expect problems with cracking but maybe there's a wood that may handle it.

Am going to try that soon. Just looking for the right log to find me. :rolleyes: There are japanese ones done like that. Just don't go for really thin I guess. :shrug: :cool:

springwater
1st November 2008, 06:45 PM
Am going to try that soon. Just looking for the right log to find me. :rolleyes: There are japanese ones done like that. Just don't go for really thin I guess. :shrug: :cool:

So how many logs have found you before? Is it a telepathic thing of sorts?

pugwash
1st November 2008, 06:54 PM
Beautiful work TL.
How about a turned cup on a thrown saucer? :)

tea lady
1st November 2008, 10:37 PM
So how many logs have found you before? Is it a telepathic thing of sorts?

I think the count is currently five. :rolleyes: But they are a bit big for saucers. Maybe trays.:hmm:

Oh yes, there are also those branches off the wattle tree. :shrug:

Beautiful work TL.
How about a turned cup on a thrown saucer? :)Hmmmmmmmm. :hmm: I was thinking of making a cup that had a wood sleeve on it. Don't know how tea would go in wood.:hmm:

WoodJunky
1st November 2008, 11:22 PM
I agree, Beautiful work, and as OGYT says " TL! You're a very talented lady"

Had a thought about about the turned cup on a thrown saucer idea and as you say you don't know how tea would go in wood, well would it be possible to turn a cup and make a liner that would fit inside it ??

oops !! Just re read your last post and what I said is basically what you were thinking.

I guess what the main problem would water or tea getting in between the wood liner and the cup

NeilS
2nd November 2008, 01:16 PM
So where are the pics of yours?:?:D

Hmmm.... this thread is about your work, but as you asked.... just for you :)

Although I have both potted and woodturned, I have never combined the two. The nearest I have come to combining pot and wood would be the cane handles that I made for my teapots....see attached.

As for my woodturning, as you might expect, it has been influenced by my potting background which in turn was influenced by the Leach/Japanese pottery craft tradition, mainly through my teachers Col Levy, Peter Rushforth, and Carl McConnell. A few recent woodturning samples also attached.

Neil

tea lady
2nd November 2008, 02:38 PM
Hmmm.... this thread is about your work, but as you asked.... just for you :)

Although I have both potted and woodturned, I have never combined the two. The nearest I have come to combining pot and wood would be the cane handles that I made for my teapots....see attached.

As for my woodturning, as you might expect, it has been influenced by my potting background which in turn was influenced by the Leach/Japanese pottery craft tradition, mainly through my teachers Col Levy, Peter Rushforth, and Carl McConnell. A few recent woodturning samples also attached.

Neil
Nice. Finding an alternative to cane was what got me here in the first place. I now use laminated veneer (as in my avatar ) Where did you study? SA? Also where do you exhibit? My hubby comes from Adelaide, and still has sis and dad there, so we come over there a bit. His friends live near Mylor. Are you near there?

NeilS
2nd November 2008, 05:48 PM
Nice. Finding an alternative to cane was what got me here in the first place. I now use laminated veneer (as in my avatar ) Where did you study? SA? Also where do you exhibit? My hubby comes from Adelaide, and still has sis and dad there, so we come over there a bit. His friends live near Mylor. Are you near there?

I was wondering if you had made those handles yourself... they go very well with your work.

Studied at National Art School, East Sydney Tech..... a long time ago now!

Mainly exhibit at Bamfurlong Gallery in Hahndorf, just a few minutes from Mylor and about 10 mins from my place.

Look me up some time when you are over this way with hubby.

Neil

rsser
2nd November 2008, 06:48 PM
FWIW there's a UK turner who produces cups, saucers and teapots that are a dead spit for bone china.

And you might ask yourself, why bother??

Apart from the technical challenge.

tea lady
2nd November 2008, 07:06 PM
Look me up some time when you are over this way with hubby.

Neil Will do.:2tsup:

FWIW there's a UK turner who produces cups, saucers and teapots that are a dead spit for bone china.

And you might ask yourself, why bother??

Apart from the technical challenge. I always wonder at things like that too. When they are totally useless. But heh! there are lots of things in this world that are totally useless. There is a tradition in pottery to make things pretending to be other things too. Like a leather boot, or hand bag. :shrug: And exactly what use is a pottery or wood bowl that teeters on a tiny foot that could not even hold your keys? :doh: Aren't humans strange.:C:D

Sawdust Maker
2nd November 2008, 07:50 PM
. . .

I always wonder at things like that too. When they are totally useless. But heh! there are lots of things in this world that are totally useless. There is a tradition in pottery to make things pretending to be other things too. Like a leather boot, or hand bag. :shrug: And exactly what use is a pottery or wood bowl that teeters on a tiny foot that could not even hold your keys? :doh: Aren't humans strange.:C:D

Yep, why turn a piece of wood when it's perfectly good for the fire :o