PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne T&WWW - What did you SCORE?

Eli
28th October 2008, 08:27 AM
I didn't see a score thread, and it was one of my favorite things after the show last year, so I thought I'd start one. Post a list of scores, brags, gifts, whatever. .....

This year I came home with (in no order whatsoever) :

Taunton press guide to Trim carpentry by Craig Savage (one of the best on that topic I have now but a little bit dated for technique)

a Stiletto titanium cat's paw bar (I know it sounds like a joke but for reals)

a Stiletto cold shrink handle wrap for my hammer

a set of Benchdog Featherboards

a Festool T15+3 set (you didn't think I could spend all weekend in Anthony's booth and not leave with something didja? This is what's known as "going broke working")

a Festool Centrotec set (see above)

a Festool sys1 screwbox (above again)

I didn't get a chance to look for a better blade for my low angle Stanley Block plane, and thankfully I didn't get a chance to hang around moon eyed at the Lie Nielson booth and replace it altogether. It's a good hobby when you always have something to look forward to.

Thanks to every single exhibitor that gave me a bit of money off whatever I bought without asking, even though it was a tough year for some. I had a great time, despite the fact that I'm no salesman (I worked in the Ideal Tools booth) , and I already can't wait for next year. It was great meeting F2F the forumites I hadn't, and seeing again the people I knew from last year. :2tsup:

joez
28th October 2008, 09:43 AM
Bought a Hammer Bandsaw :2tsup: But i actually didnt get a chance to go to the show:doh:

joez

Waldo
28th October 2008, 10:32 AM
'cept for a Metabo Duo Tec for someone else, nothing except for a coke. Sad but true, maybe next year if it's safe to do so.

The Bird
28th October 2008, 06:24 PM
a very fine Gidgee long block plane :2tsup: Fabbo

Redgy
28th October 2008, 06:31 PM
CMT dado set :)
Gifkins dovetail jig :)
Woodsmith binders :)
Domino :D
Lunch :oo: the most LEAST value for money thing I bought :((

Cheers
Redgy

Jim Carroll
28th October 2008, 07:01 PM
Panasonic 14v cordless drill with the lithium batteries.
Metabo 115mm angle grinder
Bosch rotary hammer drill.

It is amazing how tools die at the same time. Should be right now for a couple of years.

DJ’s Timber
28th October 2008, 10:49 PM
Hmm let me think :think:

A few bits of timber, some Purpleheart, Sheoak for Box making, Candleleaf Banksia and Gidgee for Pens

a Domino

VM90 Chuck

Dovetail Jaws for chuck

HNT Gordon Palm Smoother in Ironwood

HNT Gordon Smoother in Gidgee

Think that's all, still recovering as I finished up late yesterday afternoon

Groggy
28th October 2008, 11:18 PM
Well, I got free entry, got to be happy with that :2tsup:

Managed to get a great little esky from Mr Ideal Tools and a lapping plate (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=59752&cat=1,43072)from Timbecon who both did a very good deal for me - thank you!

Other than that, I helped DJ empty his wallet, bought three Frontline Engineering clamps (http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au/frontlineclamps.htm)for a friend and had a great chat with Richard Raffan about my lathe and some of its fittings (he was the original owner). He also gave me some great turning tips before the doors opened on Saturday.

I worked out that I spent more on coffee during the show than almost anything else :oo: Next year I'm wearing a camelback.

haosiliu235
3rd November 2008, 06:49 PM
well nothing much this year, $7 of timber for box making, camellia oil, and a LN La plane

Tiger
5th November 2008, 01:39 PM
A few bits and pieces. Best buys were a pen mill from McJings for $13. A set of 3 vix bits for about $10 from a retailer I hadn't seen there before. Worst buy was a Stanley whittling knife also from McJings, difficult to put an edge on it and doesn't keep an edge as it's stainless steel.

Eli
5th November 2008, 06:05 PM
Are you sure it isn't a 'Stanrey' knife?:U

Could you tell which one was Scottish at McJing's?

Tiger
6th November 2008, 05:08 PM
Are you sure it isn't a 'Stanrey' knife?:U

Could you tell which one was Scottish at McJing's?

The knife is made in China and I feel like sending it back there.

And I thought they were all Scottish :roll:.