PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Rhino Watchguard Alarm?

craigb
5th April 2004, 03:09 PM
I'm planning on getting an alarm for home and these Oz made wireless alarms that Dick Smith sell look like they could fit the bill.

Does anybody on the board have one installed and if so, what do you think of it?

I thought about a back to base alarm system, but apparently you have to commit to a fixed term contract like a mobile phone and then pay $30 to $60 dollars a month.

Then all they do if the alarm is triggered is ring you up to tell you that it's gone off unless you pay extra for them to send someone around. :(

Thanks
Craig

davo453
5th April 2004, 03:22 PM
Don’t know the alarm you describe, but there is however no reason why you can’t pay to have an alarm installed or DIY and have the alarm dial your mobile. You can also have a GSM alarm which has a mobile SIM card installed eliminating the need for a fixed line and meaning that the line can't easily be cut.

When you sign up for a monitoring service they often include all or part of the cost of the alarm system installation and hardware in the contract hence the fixed term.

Most security companies will attend an alarm activation but charge $70+ for the privilege.

I reckon having it dial your mobile is the best option as a local alarm is of little use these days, unless you are on the premises.

Cheers

Dave

ozwinner
5th April 2004, 04:58 PM
Hi Graig
I installed one of these little beautys 2 months ago.
So far so good, with no false alarms.
I does scare the crap out of you if you forget to disarm before entering the shed though.
Being all wireless is a real help, you can put all the bits exactly where you want them.
I installed the main box inside the shed for added noise.

Cheers, Allan :)

journeyman Mick
5th April 2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by craigb

Anybody have a Rhino Watchguard Alarm?
Thanks
Craig

Haven't had any problems with marauding rhinos in this neck of the woods but it sounds like I may need to look into the matter further,:D (sorry, couldn't resist)

Mick

Strom
8th March 2005, 07:58 PM
Ive heard good things about Spearmint Rhino !!!

(If that helps)

kiwigeo
9th March 2005, 03:23 PM
I'm planning on getting an alarm for home and these Oz made wireless alarms that Dick Smith sell look like they could fit the bill.

Does anybody on the board have one installed and if so, what do you think of it?

I thought about a back to base alarm system, but apparently you have to commit to a fixed term contract like a mobile phone and then pay $30 to $60 dollars a month.

Then all they do if the alarm is triggered is ring you up to tell you that it's gone off unless you pay extra for them to send someone around. :(

Thanks
Craig

Shop around Craig...

My system cost $2700 to install but it has features which many probably wouldnt use (eg. remote keyfobs, paranoia level coverage etc). Running costs are $20 a month plus $50 for any security patrol call outs. When the thing goes off phone calls go out to a list of people who then have choice of responding to alarm or authorising a patrol call out. If nobody can be contacted then the patrol goes out automatically. Any technical problems with the system or the phone line also get detected by the monitoring people and responded to appropriately.

If youve got neighbours you trust and theyre always home then you could get away with a simple un-monitored system. If you havent and you have a workshop full of lovely portable tools then go for a monitored system....if it prevents one break in then its paid for itself.

On the subject of wireless systems. The installer I talked to reckoned hed only use them if it was impossible to get cabling into a house....theyre generally not as reliable as wired sensors.

jackiew
9th March 2005, 03:34 PM
There was a choice article on this in recent history and if memory serves me correct it indicated that DIY was more than acceptable.

I did some research on this some while back and you can get all the bits from a number of places. you can even mix wired and wireless sensors with some systems ( you may have to insist that they open the box so you can read the instructions).

I found that some of the boxed sets didn't actually meet my needs when I looked at where I would want to put sensors. You also have to be careful about zoning - can you turn the alarm off in the house but leave it on in the garage. Will you be able to have the back door alarmed but not have the sensor activated which you need to pass to go to the loo in the middle of the night. I found that with some systems if with their minimum number of sensors and standard zoning then, owing to the layout of my house, I would need to keep a bucket in the bedroom if I wanted the alarm turned on at night at the perimeter :(

Monitoring companies don't have to do your installation, they might charge a small fee for checking out your system before they agree to monitor it ( I know the RACV do this )

DanP
10th March 2005, 12:31 AM
Quote me from another post.

"In relation to alarms, get the loudest, most piercing alarm that you can. One that comes on after about 20 secs after you walk through the door. Just enough time for you to disable it when you get home, not enough for crooks to have more than a quick look around. The plan is that the crook will cra p when the alarm goes off and do the bolt.

Monitered silent alarms are basically useless. By the time the security company calls 000 and the job then gets given to the police and then the police have to get there from wherever they are, the crooks are well gone with your TV and VCR. Or worse still with your other half's jewellery box or THE WORST of the lot, your tools"

IMO you want an alarm that is so loud, you can't stand to be in the house with it.

Dan

DanP
10th March 2005, 12:37 AM
Quote me (again) from the same other post:

"If you set your own alarm up, might I suggest that you position your sensors in such position that they face likely points of entry (windows and doors) but put them in such a position that is away from any windows or doors. They are vulnerable from underneath - If the crook can get under them he can cover them without setting them off. So don't put them above windows or doors either (If you can help it)."

Dan

Harry72
10th March 2005, 03:50 AM
"Anybody have a Rhino Watchguard Alarm?" (showthread.php?p=128145#post128145)
No but I got a Rhino thicknessor!(and its a POS)

kiwigeo
10th March 2005, 10:31 AM
Quote me (again) from the same other post:

"If you set your own alarm up, might I suggest that you position your sensors in such position that they face likely points of entry (windows and doors) but put them in such a position that is away from any windows or doors. They are vulnerable from underneath - If the crook can get under them he can cover them without setting them off. So don't put them above windows or doors either (If you can help it)."

Dan

Ive tried this with my system..it doesnt work. The process of covering the sensor sets it off.

kiwigeo
10th March 2005, 10:42 AM
FYI, some features of many installed systems which which may not be available with the Rhino system (dont know much about the latter).

1. Most important IMHO are anti-tamper switches on the control unit(s) and internal and external siren/lights. If someon tries to knobble or tamper with these the alarm goes off.

2. A panic feature where you can manually set off the alarm and initiate a police call out via the monitoring service control room.

3. Ambulance and fire callout.

4. A phoney PIN number. If intruder forces you under duress to deactivate the system... you type in the pre programmed phoney PIN and it deactivates the alarm but at the same time triggers a police call out.

DanP
10th March 2005, 12:50 PM
Ive tried this with my system..it doesnt work. The process of covering the sensor sets it off.

Maybe it doesn't with your system. But trust me, I've seen it time and time again. I have demonstrated it to people who have been burgled on systems worth $500 and systems worth $10,000. It really isn't that hard.

Dan

kiwigeo
10th March 2005, 02:53 PM
Maybe it doesn't with your system. But trust me, I've seen it time and time again. I have demonstrated it to people who have been burgled on systems worth $500 and systems worth $10,000. It really isn't that hard.

Dan

When youre bordering on paranoia like I am then you tend to give your security system a good workout as soon as its installed....have tried sneaking up to sensors and slithering along the floor. In one room I can get past the sensor if I move slowly enough but it would take me 6 months to get across the room at that speed.

kiwigeo
10th March 2005, 02:56 PM
Dan, Ive just noticed the police car on your posts. That suggests youre youre either a police officer, in the security business or a burglar.

ozwinner
10th March 2005, 05:15 PM

Dan
Sooo thats how you can buy new tools all the time, part time burgular??

Al :D

ozwinner
10th March 2005, 05:16 PM
Dan, Ive just noticed the police car on your posts. That suggests youre youre either a police officer, in the security business or a burglar.Thats what the "P" in DanP stands for, plod.

Al :p

Iain
10th March 2005, 06:29 PM
Wow, sharp as a bowling ball, read a few more posts (very light hearted sarcasm :D :D :D )
Plod, Walloper, Gendarme, Copper, Johhny, Peeler, Victorias Finest et al :rolleyes:

ozwinner
10th March 2005, 06:43 PM
Hhhmmmm Iain.

I know, Ive met Dan.
And a very nice chap he is indead.

Al :D

Iain
10th March 2005, 09:28 PM
NOt you Al, this time, a lighthearted shot at Kiwigeo, too much time looking at rocks :D :D :D :D

craigb
10th March 2005, 09:40 PM
The worry is that I posted this query almost a year ago and I still don't have a burgular alarm :eek:

Don't tell any crooks where I live o.k.

Craig (the procrastinator :o :o )

kiwigeo
11th March 2005, 07:07 AM
NOt you Al, this time, a lighthearted shot at Kiwigeo, too much time looking at rocks :D :D :D :D

Light hearted shots always welcome...

Actually I dont see many rocks in my job...only time would be when we pull up a core which doesnt happen much these days. Its all paper shuffling and watching wiggly lines on computer screens these days.

jackiew
11th March 2005, 11:02 AM
The worry is that I posted this query almost a year ago and I still don't have a burgular alarm :eek:

Don't tell any crooks where I live o.k.

Craig (the procrastinator :o :o )

procrastination on this issue is normal :o

Iain
11th March 2005, 01:17 PM
I was contemplating procrastinating!