PDA

View Full Version : SWAP ancient kauri for ancient Redgum

The Bird
28th October 2008, 06:29 PM
I have a heap of Ancient Kauri but for my collection I really desire a descent sized piece of Ancient Redgum ????
will swap

karl164
29th October 2008, 08:03 PM
I have a great deal of redgum .What do you mean by decent size . Regards karl

Ivor
2nd November 2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Bird,

PM sent

Eldanos of KDM
8th April 2009, 07:50 PM
Can someone explain what "ancient" means when referring to timber?? Cheers

The Bird
9th April 2009, 12:58 PM
Can someone explain what "ancient" means when referring to timber?? Cheers

Well in this context it means that its been carbon dated at a minimum of 30,000 years old.
Ancient Redgum is a mere 5000

Eldanos of KDM
9th April 2009, 01:27 PM
Wow! Any how does this affect the timber? Sorry for hijacking the thread but it seemed to be over anyway. Cheers for the reply!

The Bird
9th April 2009, 03:22 PM
Wow! Any how does this affect the timber? Sorry for hijacking the thread but it seemed to be over anyway. Cheers for the reply!

Isn't it obvious??? its old ;)

In the case of Kauri its the oldest workable timber in the world, best quality material I ever worked with.
Regum just gets harder and more difficult to work.

Eldanos of KDM
9th April 2009, 06:25 PM
Cool, good to know:) Thanks for your help

Ivor
9th April 2009, 08:59 PM
The bit I got from Bird was great, but not quite what I was expecting.

Ancient redgum is pretty close to dark brown even black, the bit of Kauri I got from Bird was figured with dark bits. Maybe hardwood softwood difference in ageing.

The stuff has been buried for a long time in river beds and is recovered from mining, it is obviously ripped out in a big flood and then covered in the river by sediment

dai sensei
9th April 2009, 09:17 PM
Ancient Redgum is a mere 5000

I thought it was a bit older than that for Bog Red Gum like this piece was made from. What size are you after?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=87528&d=1225599525

I also have some older black Aus timbers I stabilized but I'm not sure what species. They are both black, one carbon dated to 15 million years old but pen blank size, and a few 50mm dia slices x 15mm max thick from a bore hole dated to around 400 million :o - Sorry, not available for swap or purchase.

Eldanos of KDM
9th April 2009, 11:21 PM
I thought it was a bit older than that for Bog Red Gum like this piece was made from. What size are you after?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=87528&d=1225599525

I also have some older black Aus timbers I stabilized but I'm not sure what species. They are both black, one carbon dated to 15 million years old but pen blank size, and a few 50mm dia slices x 15mm max thick from a bore hole dated to around 400 million :o - Sorry, not available for swap or purchase.

It'd be a lot cooler if they were for sale:) I could make a jewellery box outta some. Anyone with anything interesting?

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 05:50 PM
I don't have any ancient redgum. I have some new redgum. :)

I'd love to buy some Kauri if you were interested in selling a few pen blanks though!

DJ’s Timber
10th June 2009, 06:01 PM

I'd love to buy some Kauri if you were interested in selling a few pen blanks though!

Don't hold your breathe on waiting for a reply as The Bird is currently away on Holidays for a month and he is only into his first week away so far.

Would suggest that you send an email to The Bird's workplace here ([email protected]) and one of the staff should be able to help you out

The Bird
16th August 2009, 05:10 PM

Yeah, back from the hol's.
UUmmm put timber brain back on.... I pretty much only have turning blanks in a wide variety of sizes, all rootball material so lots of figure.
try the web
www.bowerbirdtimber.com

The Bird
16th August 2009, 05:11 PM
The bit I got from Bird was great, but not quite what I was expecting.

Ancient redgum is pretty close to dark brown even black, the bit of Kauri I got from Bird was figured with dark bits. Maybe hardwood softwood difference in ageing.

The stuff has been buried for a long time in river beds and is recovered from mining, it is obviously ripped out in a big flood and then covered in the river by sediment

So Ivor waddid ya do with it, give us a look.
The Bird

Ivor
16th August 2009, 11:31 PM
I am not sure how this photo will work, but here is what i have done with some of the ancient redgum (the black bits on the box). I am still looking for inspiration for the bit of kauri I go from Bird. Sorry but I am obsessed with parquetry right now and it seems a shame to cut the kauri up into little bits. The bit of kauri I got from Bird is still sitting on the benchtop and keeps on calling me.