PDA

View Full Version : Long Linear Slides.

Ch4iS
29th October 2008, 03:38 PM
I've been trying to find some linear slides.

2500mm length

Just got a quote back from TEA about some supported rails, almost $1000 per rail, rang up linearbearings but I think the price would be around the same as it is a special order.

Overseas import I think is out of the question.

Where does everyone get their rails? Or are their any import options for me?

Looking for a option ~ $500 "2x 2500mm" I was hoping to go supported shafts was expecting around $250 each.

WillyInBris
29th October 2008, 04:40 PM
I've been trying to find some linear slides.

2500mm length

Just got a quote back from TEA about some supported rails, almost $1000 per rail, rang up linearbearings but I think the price would be around the same as it is a special order.

Overseas import I think is out of the question.

Where does everyone get their rails? Or are their any import options for me?

Looking for a option ~ $500 "2x 2500mm" I was hoping to go supported shafts was expecting around $250 each.

Mate for this length I would be going the MechMate route using Duelvee and angle don't bother trying to get prices for them from Tea they are shocking for those as well but they can be got cheaper OS link on the mecmate forum.

I guess you coud also try our ebay mate he may be able to source the DuelVees as well if rails are expensive from overseas I think freight will be the killer.

Hope it makes sense.

Willy

Ch4iS
29th October 2008, 05:08 PM
After the price I was thinking of using the V bearings.

Get some Alu, run a router V bit over each side and make a slide, not too hard to do but needs to be accurate. (got the idea from the TEA catalog)

I'll have a look at the mechmate site later tonight, thanks for that :)

QUOTE from LinearBearings

Module 1 Rack

2.5m @ $181.25ea + gst (Delivery 2-3 weeks)
2m @ $145.00ea + gst + machining (ex stock)
0.5m @ $40.80ea + gst + machining (ex stock)

20mm Dia. Supported Shaft @ $364.00 / mtr + gst

Its a let down when you look at US prices all day :P

WillyInBris
29th October 2008, 05:38 PM
This should wet your whistle a bit
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Pricing on DuelVees when I was looking at buying them they were a 3rd what TEA quoted me.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

I am a bit unsure how long alu angle would last would probably need to use steel and would get a quote from the people who do guillotine sharpening for the printing industry or something along those lines.

appiwood
29th October 2008, 08:22 PM
Hello Blueray

I have attached some photos of an earlier machine I built.

If you look carefully you will see an answer to long linear rails, The X axis is made up of ( from memory ) 6mm by 40mm flat with a 10mm by 40mm flat on edge with 20mm shafting bolted through both sections of Aluminum. I used Dave Kush's site for inspiration but changed the bits to suit me, the photo of th eX axis bearing shows the 4 grub screws that can be tightened against the shaft to elimate slop, the desigh uses skateboard brarings which can be brought here for around AU$2.00 each or .50cUS.

You can also see the two versions of the Y axis and single Z axis bearing.

The downside with this approach is you either have to fabricate it all or have someone do it, the bearings worked well but as the shaft is soft compared to the ball bearings over time a flat was worn in the rails, it wasn't a problem as the design allows to the bearings to be adjusted easily.

One thing in it's favour is it is a cheap way to go, for example, the gantry sides are just poured aluminum, 2 16mm steel sides with a bent steel bar ( 25mm by 10 - I think ) bent into the shape I wanted, molten metal poured into the mould, so each one has <$3.00 of metal in it.

Why did I stop using the process?, I found a way to bring in linear rails from the States and it was easier to do.

Before you ask, the first time I did it I brought in about AU$2000 worth, the cost to do so was fairly reasonable (guessing $300.00 - US ) but then Mr Costello got involved, the worst cost was for Customs to walk 50-60m look at the pallet for <3 seconds and walk back to the office - $113.00, all up the cost was around $1000.00.

I did it myself but would use a broker if I did it that way again - I won't.

I also understand that sea freight rates have collapsed so it may now be economic to try.

Ed

Ch4iS
29th October 2008, 11:16 PM
WOW Nice work. But importing there has to be a limit on length right?

With the gantry sides, $3 worth of material? did you recycle your scrap?

I have a little design that I want to give a go, involving some V bearings but I want to wait till I get the V bearings and ill mock up a demo to be told the faults in it :D

WillyInBris
30th October 2008, 05:30 AM
WOW Nice work. But importing there has to be a limit on length right?

Coming via Aus post it may but via courier it could be done and via Sea Freight could make it even cheaper.

Get in touch with our ebay guy and see what he can work out it cant hurt ask him to get both air and sea freight quotes also ask him about DuelVees maybe he can get those or something along those lines as well.

Sean

appiwood
30th October 2008, 06:34 AM
Hello Blueray

Yes there is a length limit, from the States via USPS ? Aust Post it is 1167mm ( 46"??? ) couriers can be a little longer.

Sea freight it is what will fit into a container, could be deck cargo but that would be a big machine 8-).

One thing I was going to try but never did was to use a combination of homemade and commercial, the stumbling block is the actual linear rail not the linear bearings, using bright shaft you could make a supported rail but use the LMUU type bearings, from VBX they are about US$25.00 each, if the rail marked you couldn't adjust the bearings though, maybe hardening the rail would be needed.

I used the lost foam process to cast the ( yes, I did re-cycle the waste from all my casting - must be cheap ) parts, some were hot wire cut by hand, the successful ones were cut with a cnc hot wire cutter,if you have a CNC router could can use that, mount the bow where the router goes.

The type of bearing in the photo was cut using a normal two flute router bit, from the photo you can see how one axel is adjustable, to build one of these would be much less than the $40.00 or so for one of the bearings from VBX or even sourced locally.

If casting the part yourself put you off if you have any foundaries near you give them a call.

Ed

Ch4iS
30th October 2008, 08:31 AM
Sea freight it is what will fit into a container, could be deck cargo but that would be a big machine 8-).

Ed

I run a little business myself selling stuff on the internet, last time I looked at sea freight the cost of sea freight was no problem (was about $300 for 140KG worth of goods). I was planning to import a bunch of arcade equipment from china, 140KG of the stuff wouldnt have even been 1 pallet.

The problem is finding a broker to sort out all the paperwork, the ones I talked to said it would cost me too much I dont think I even got a price. From what I have read a individual cannot bring a package via seafreight on your own unless you have importation rights of some kind, cant quite remember. GST doesnt bother me for the goods as I can write it all off on my business.

BTW appiwood I was thinking you did the melting of the aluminium in a home built furnace ect. :D, ive been looking to build one for ages (wood fuel based) for aluminium. Then again ive wanted to build alot of things, mainly because the commercial versions are so expencive.

twistedfuse
30th October 2008, 11:57 AM
Have you emailed rods supplier? The rails i got were square profile rails and they were 2.2m long. Didn't seem to be an issue and wasn't overly pricey either. I know the round supported rails were nearly half the price of the profile rails. Only downside now is the currency exchange.

Daniel
P.S In regards to brokers, TNT couriers will do most things but the price is a little dearer.

appiwood
30th October 2008, 02:21 PM
Hello Blueray

I used a web based shipper ( CargoTrans ) who used CargoTrans Oceania P/L at Port Botany as the Broker, they were helpful and would have acted for me again.

As for melting the Aluminum, yes it was a homemade gas powered furnace, I used scape cast metal, engine blocks ect, I haven't had any " moments " but would advise being more than careful, even Aluminum melts at a temp that burns are fairly quick to happen.

When you mean wood, are you thinking charcoal?? there is a bloke in the UK ( The Artful Bodger ) who is selling a book on how to make a waste oil furncae, with that he is even melting cast iron, it isn't supposed to be smokey because of the temps'.

Ed

oldbob13
30th October 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi appiwood
Just googled CargoTrans Oceania P/L at Port Botany but got CAROTRANS OCEANIA - NSW BRANCH is this them and how did they operate I have just got a quote from LEP and I am still in a state of shock.:oo: 88kg door to door Aus$1700
BobT

Ch4iS
31st October 2008, 12:15 AM
damn they estimate 9 days from hong kong to sydney, thats pretty fast, Ill give em a ring tommorow and see what they can do.

They have 3 ships going off in november so thats good to know. (regular departures, multiple ships)

Ch4iS
31st October 2008, 12:19 AM
When you mean wood, are you thinking charcoal?? there is a bloke in the UK ( The Artful Bodger ) who is selling a book on how to make a waste oil furncae, with that he is even melting cast iron, it isn't supposed to be smokey because of the temps'.

Ed

One of them was saying if you run out of charcoal use wood, so I was thinking wood would be fine for the lower temperature metals like aluminium?

I know charcoal would burn hotter but wouldnt wood still suffice?

appiwood
31st October 2008, 06:07 AM
Hello Oldbob

I'll check my docs later this morning and re-post, my fees weren't anywhere near that from memory,

Hello Blueray,

I guess we are all " tinkerers " so I'm not going to say wood woodn't ( can't help myself ) work, I like gas as it is easy and clean, there is lots of designs on the net for burners and it was easy to modify than to start again, all I wanted to do was to make parts for my CNC machines, not melt aluminum. The attached photo shows a melt, the crucible is just a length of pipe, the furnace is some sort of potting mix and cement, the crucible I am using now is 150mm in dia. from a cold start the burnew will melt it with a full load in 35 minutes, re-melt additional loads in about 15 minutes.

Ed

Zoot
31st October 2008, 08:01 AM
I just thought I should throw my 2 cents worth in!

I recently bought the 2 x 1800 long rails plus lots of other goodies from Rods China supplier and the freight cost was only USD$230 for delivery via TNT.

The impression I got was that length up to 2500 would not be a problem, but you would need to check this with the supplier.

The rails are great and the linea bearing carriages work perfectly.

Cheers,

Alan

rodm
31st October 2008, 10:59 AM
Ed,
Love your work and the furnice. :2tsup:

WillyInBris
31st October 2008, 11:54 AM
Zoot what was the approx cost of your rails I am looking at Jan for my next build looks like we may have found a house well three of them that is just need the wife to make a decision :- I keep saying I need the one with the big shed :D but she is only worried about the kitchen and bathroom for some reason I do all the bloody cooking anyway I don't understand whats wrong with cooking evey meal on the BBQ anyway :D.

You got some links Ed maybe another project :oo:

Opps back to topic

The charges for TNT seam very reasonable I wouldnt expect much less for sea freight by the time you finish with all the stuufing around, is that the same as the ebay guy?

Ch4iS
31st October 2008, 04:25 PM
Hello Oldbob

I'll check my docs later this morning and re-post, my fees weren't anywhere near that from memory,

Hello Blueray,

I guess we are all " tinkerers " so I'm not going to say wood woodn't ( can't help myself ) work, I like gas as it is easy and clean, there is lots of designs on the net for burners and it was easy to modify than to start again, all I wanted to do was to make parts for my CNC machines, not melt aluminum. The attached photo shows a melt, the crucible is just a length of pipe, the furnace is some sort of potting mix and cement, the crucible I am using now is 150mm in dia. from a cold start the burnew will melt it with a full load in 35 minutes, re-melt additional loads in about 15 minutes.

Ed

Nice work Ed.

Reason for wood is its free, charcoal (looked to see how they make it at home) seems like alot of work?

This is a long long way away, + its a bit more safe than oils, or gas.

I'll get in contact with rods supplier and see what he can get me.

Zoot
31st October 2008, 07:19 PM
Zoot what was the approx cost of your rails

I have filed my invoice in a very safe place ... in other words, I can't find it! But I do remember that the overall invoice cost was USD$397.00 for 2 x 1800 rails, 2 x 1200 rails, 2 x 600 rails, 12 x linear bearing carriages to suit rails, 1 x 16mm ballscrew & nut 1200 long (or thereabouts) and 1 x 16mm ballscrew & nut abt. 600 long. Both ballscrews machined at the ends to Rod's drawing.

Hope this helps.

Alan

rodm
31st October 2008, 07:55 PM
His prices are very good and so is his service. The guy is trying hard to get a foot in the door and I will support him as much as I can. No I don't have any association with him and only discovered him through ebay. I do encourage others to use him as his survival means we all get cheaper CNC parts here.

If you have a look at the list of parts Alan got then think I have paid that much for only two ballscrews of similar spec and freight cost so you can see where I am coming from.

Daniel got 2.4m rails from him and also seems pleased.

Newcomers probably get a bit of a shock at the CNC prices but those that have been around for a while expect much higher prices for the components.

Alan my filing system gets emptied every week with the potatoe peelings into the much larger archiving system. A truck collects it from my verge and it goes to a storage facility. It's a good system and they have as much chance of retrieving it as I would have if I filed it at home. :D

Ch4iS
31st October 2008, 08:27 PM
I have filed my invoice in a very safe place ... in other words, I can't find it! But I do remember that the overall invoice cost was USD$397.00 for 2 x 1800 rails, 2 x 1200 rails, 2 x 600 rails, 12 x linear bearing carriages to suit rails, 1 x 16mm ballscrew & nut 1200 long (or thereabouts) and 1 x 16mm ballscrew & nut abt. 600 long. Both ballscrews machined at the ends to Rod's drawing.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Are these supported rails?

Zoot
31st October 2008, 08:39 PM
Blueray ... yes they are fully supported rails ... tried to upload a photo for you, but you may have to follow these links ... hopefully you will be able to see the drawings.

Cheers,

Alan

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/06/3c/849f_1.JPG
http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/06/3c/82f1_1.JPG

Ch4iS
31st October 2008, 08:57 PM
Blueray ... yes they are fully supported rails ... tried to upload a photo for you, but you may have to follow these links ... hopefully you will be able to see the drawings.

Cheers,

Alan

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/06/3c/849f_1.JPG
http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/06/3c/82f1_1.JPG

Nice, I have to wait for his email, probbally around lunch tommorow ill get a answer.

Someone should organize a bulk buy :)

I'll buy some extras if the price is great as I am expecting :D

Ch4iS
1st November 2008, 04:09 PM
Got the prices happy with them, courier postage is 432USD for a bunch of stuff.

Its about 50% of the value of the goods, I dont mind this as aussie prices I wouldnt even get 1 rail for the postage amount.

Only problem was

"The rails are too heavy for carry by air!"

So hoping he can split the order and ship via courier for not much more.

Will probbaly cost me $1100USD for

6x supported rails + 14 carrages and a spindle with VDF.

After the spindle its about $700-$800 AUD for all the rails post included.

Ch4iS
6th November 2008, 08:16 PM
My rails are on their way :)

Ill post some pics when they come, $1800 after this ???? exchange ratio.

WillyInBris
7th November 2008, 06:36 AM
My rails are on their way :)

Ill post some pics when they come, $1800 after this ???? exchange ratio.

Was that just the rails what did you end up purchasing?

Sean

Ch4iS
7th November 2008, 10:45 AM
Was that just the rails what did you end up purchasing?

Sean

2x 2600mm 20di supported rails
2x 1400mm 20di supported rails
2x 300mm 12di supported rails

14x 20di slides
4x 12di slides

1x 1500watt water cooled spindle
1x VDF

$1800 makes it sound like alot :P but its not just the spindle ect bumped it up and the long lengths (+ weight) cost more for the courier.

Ch4iS
10th November 2008, 12:43 PM
Rails arrived today.

It was like it was Christmas :D

4 of the slides were from a previous buy (wide base ones), but I might be using them instead of the standard ones for the Y axis.

Also thats a 1500watt, water cooled spindle, never used one before but being a large machine I thought 1500 would be more suited.

rodm
10th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Nice :2tsup:

Zoot
10th November 2008, 02:05 PM
Always exciting when a parcel arrives from China.

Cheers,

Alan

twistedfuse
10th November 2008, 04:36 PM
Look forward to seeing that collection come together into a great machine. Well done.

Daniel
P.S Just curious, how much was it(if you dont mind) for the VFD and Spindle?

Ch4iS
10th November 2008, 05:12 PM
Look forward to seeing that collection come together into a great machine. Well done.

Daniel
P.S Just curious, how much was it(if you dont mind) for the VFD and Spindle?

1x 1500 watt water cooled spindle : 310.00 USD/PC
1x VDF (aka Inverter) : 220.00 USD/PC

Direct from the quote bought out of ebay. (I think ebay is a bit more expencive I havnt checked as I was happy with it from the beginning)

appiwood
10th November 2008, 06:13 PM
Hello Blueray

It all looks good, I guess the pig in !@#$ applies to your happiness now??

How long do you think before you are cutting with it??

Ed

Ch4iS
10th November 2008, 10:11 PM
Hello Blueray

It all looks good, I guess the pig in !@#$ applies to your happiness now??

How long do you think before you are cutting with it??

Ed

Gota wait for the Rack and pinions which should be here in a week. (2 for the X axis and 1 for the Y axis). Probbaly will scrap my first cnc router and use the Z axis from it as its a good Z axis. Will just cut some bits of aluminium for the new build before I pull it apart.

Electronics I am still up in the air about, either going Nema 34 with gecko or a 4 axis xyoltex setup the xyoltex setup is cheap but the gecko + Nema 34 is more powerful.

Going with a steel base with heavy alu gantry or steel depending on the motor sizes.

3 Weeks to cutting I am hoping. All depends when I can get the space at my dads work to build it.

First thing I will be cutting is a Mame Cabinet :D

Estimated Price = 4.5k