PDA

View Full Version : What is this

JSDGOLD
29th October 2008, 05:53 PM
Hi all
I am very new to this forum and I need help in identifying what this is it is from about the 1837 to the 1907 era and it has been suggested that it was for crimping dowel to help in the gluing and fitting on chairs etc, does anyone know for cirtain.
thank you
JSDGOLD87186

Papa
29th October 2008, 06:31 PM
I assume it is metal?, It looks like it might have been used to
size the end of chair rungs??

JSDGOLD
29th October 2008, 09:42 PM
I assume it is metal?, It looks like it might have been used to
size the end of chair rungs??
Hi Papa
Yes it is cast steel and complete
thank you for the reply
JSDGOLD

Woodlee
29th October 2008, 10:01 PM
I've seen an identical tool that a friend found in an old mining camp .The one that my friend has is also very ornate and made from cast iron and is designed to be fixed to a board.
We asked an old Chinese lady (Grandma Petersen)that lived in our town who has been around forever if she knew what it was .
She told us it was a tool for squeezing corks so they could be sized for pushing into bottle necks.The corks are soaked in water before squeezing .
The old lady was a gold mine of information ,and was an advisor to the local museum , unfortunately the old darling passed away about four years ago .The museum still has a heap of unidentified objects that she never got around to identifying.

Kev.

Buzza
2nd November 2008, 10:11 PM
For my 2 bucks worth, it looks like some sort of crimper. Screwed to a board, and used the way it is, it would crimp something such as end bindings for ropes, steel or hemp. Being ornate though, it smacks of household. Having seen manual and machine corkers, it does not even appear to be remotley like any corking machine I know of.

When I think of a kitchen gadget, it seems to be too heavy for any foodstuff.

Thereby, I go with crimper. :)

joe greiner
3rd November 2008, 12:25 AM
I'll vote for a dowel squeezer. Wine-bottle corks are typically all the same size, whereas this tool has three different-size chambers. It also has ribs in the chambers, which could create slots in the dowels, for excess glue to escape.

The ornate character doesn't necessarily relegate it to household use. Some olde-tyme woodshoppes have such decoration on otherwise ordinary tools.

Joe

pugwash
3rd November 2008, 01:04 AM
Its a cork sizer. Corks are first immersed in water.
Corks are then progressively squeezed down to size, first in the large bit , then the medium and finally the small. They are the inserted into the neck of the bottle with a "corker" a wooden device, often beautifully turned. with a plunger mechanism. The cork then expands to fit the bottle perfectly.

JSDGOLD
3rd November 2008, 05:36 PM
Hi ALL
Thank you for your help I have found out what it is:U

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/troopy_01/CastIronCorkSqueezer1.jpg

tomnewby
3rd November 2008, 09:12 PM
this thread reminds of a hilarious Saturday Night Live skit involving cork soaking... if you google "SNL cork soaker" you'll find it.

its a bit rude but hilarious. features Janet Jackson trying not to lose it!

Woodlee
3rd November 2008, 11:55 PM
Hi ALL
Thank you for your help I have found out what it is:U

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/troopy_01/CastIronCorkSqueezer1.jpg

Bingo !
A mandraulic cork sizer .

Kev.