PDA

View Full Version : Garden Arbour

HotChips
31st October 2008, 08:30 PM
Well, this certainly must qualify as a big project......
I got the plans from plansnow and also Woodsmith magazine. I enjoyed making this and wish I made another one for another area on my section.

flynnsart
31st October 2008, 08:49 PM
Good job:2tsup:

Donna

Claw Hama
31st October 2008, 10:55 PM
Yes HC, that is truely a fine looking erection you have there. Was it straight from the plan or have you modified it at all?

HotChips
1st November 2008, 08:16 AM
Yes HC, that is truely a fine looking erection you have there. Was it straight from the plan or have you modified it at all?
Being a newby at this, followed the plans closely. Having said that, I would change the design slightly next time, perhaps the top cross members don't need three layers, and the trellis part I may make finer, but it was tricky getting it upright and put together by myself, shouldhave asked a neighbour, especially moving it into place, nearly put my back out! weighs a ton.

Stryker223
7th November 2008, 09:48 AM
That is fantastic HotChips, very nice!!!!!
I'm going be making one for the front yard over the winter and I'm sure it won't turn out that nice!
How did you do the arch?
Is it two sections of wood or more and did you use half lap joints or biscuits?
I'm going to put the arbor I build in the middle of a walled circle and plant a wysteria on each side. I was thinking of putting a bench in the arbor and still might, not sure though, it might not be the best place for a seat.
Did you build the arbor out of redwood?

HotChips
7th November 2008, 10:40 AM
Why thanks for your kind compliments Stryker.
I built the arch in 2 pieces, followed the plans (as I wouldn've had a clue otherwise!). I used half laps for the trellis sides, quite strong really as I put a piece of timber across these and hoisted it on my back into place, not a smart thing to do but as I was keen to get it done couldn't wait for help. Not advised I can tell you, damn heavy! I biscuited the top joins for the arch, hope that it'll hold over time, should do as there are plenty of screws as well to secure it all. It's only done in treated pine, but then I used Kwilla stain for the finish. A nice red colour. I have since tidied up around the bottom and framed it in now so happier now thats done too. Yes a seat would be nice for your idea and I can visualise it in my head , sweet as. As this arbour opens up the back garden for me, I may leave it but tempted to add a small wooden gate in it. I plan to plant something like white roses to the trellis sides in the near future and that will add more colour contrast eventually and soften the look a bit perhaps. It was a fun project to build, and I wish you the best for yours when you start.
thanks