PDA

View Full Version : Pottery tools

Sawdust Maker
2nd November 2008, 08:25 PM
My son has been asking (nagging:C) for pottery tools
I said I'd make some. tea lady, thanks for your advice (always go to a renowned expert I say :2tsup:)
His first request was a knife (what is it with boys). I also made an awl and a wire cutty thingy (a garrotte?)
The knife is a piece of old fence post and hacksaw blade, awl is myrtle and a nail, garrotte is brushbox and some picture wire. All finished with the dictator's shellawax :2tsup:
[If this should be in the tools and jigs section then apologies to the mod whom moves it.]
cheers

tea lady
2nd November 2008, 08:31 PM
Ooooooh! :oo: Makes mine look very poor.:C But then I didn't have a dad to make me such nice tools. :doh:My next project I think.:D

Ad de Crom
2nd November 2008, 09:02 PM
What can be nicer than doing this for your own son.
It looks good, it's great!!!
Ad :2tsup:

springwater
2nd November 2008, 09:08 PM
special, very special!

Manuka Jock
2nd November 2008, 09:18 PM
Looking good there Sawdust , great timber and finish .
:2tsup:
Nice metal work too mate .

Its woodturning , so its gotta stay here eh :p

Ed Reiss
3rd November 2008, 01:38 PM
Ooooooh! :oo: Makes mine look very poor.:C But then I didn't have a dad to make me such nice tools. :doh:My next project I think.:D

Bat your eyelashes at him TL and maybe he'll adopt you ...then get him to make the tools for you.:B:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
3rd November 2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for your positive comments.

Nice metal work too mate ...

that's about the limit of my expertise. Can use a grinder:D except for sharpening turning tools :?

His pottery teacher also commented favourably. She said that I even managed to get the materials right - copper ferrules and stainless metal. I had to come clean and confess that the nail is normal bright steel. Can you get stainless nails?

Bat your eyelashes at him TL and maybe he'll adopt you ...then get him to make the tools for you.:B:2tsup:

If I adopted TL, I'd have grandkids :C And I reckon I'm too young (and my oldest is merely 11)

Manuka Jock
3rd November 2008, 10:06 PM
Can you get stainless nails?

Yep , sure can ,
and heavily galvanised masonry (Ramset / Hilti type) nails too ,
I use them for brad-awls .
The heads are best ground off , too tough for nips .

tea lady
3rd November 2008, 11:35 PM

Nah! I can make my own now. I'm a Jill of all trades.:cool:

Yep , sure can ,
and heavily galvanised masonry (Ramset / Hilti type) nails too ,
I use them for brad-awls .
The heads are best ground off , too tough for nips .

I hope don't have to buy 500 of them.:C

Manuka Jock
3rd November 2008, 11:49 PM
I hope don't have to buy 500 of them.:C

TL , just ask the next carpenter you see working on a house , or a shop fit-out .
He may have one or two in just laying in the bottom of his nailbag , and be happy to give them to you .
Get the longest ones , 4 inch.

joe greiner
4th November 2008, 12:55 AM
Nice work.

A second copy of the knife can be made into a narrow parting tool. I think Gil Jones has a few like that.

And the wire thing, with or without different wire sizes, can be used for burning rings in turned wood.

Joe

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2008, 08:18 AM
Nice work.

A second copy of the knife can be made into a narrow parting tool. I think Gil Jones has a few like that.

And the wire thing, with or without different wire sizes, can be used for burning rings in turned wood.

Joe

Had thought of that - may very well do so

my wire thing is nowhere as fancy as the one I made my son :no:

thanks

Gil Jones
4th November 2008, 08:52 AM
Nice work on the pottery tooling for your Son.

After I broke the first 1" off my SS 6" fish fillet knife (see link)>> http://www.joessports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=967908 << it then became my very thin parting tool (after a bit if re-grinding, and blunting the cutting edge).

As for stainless steel nails, I do not know, but you can buy SS round bar stock, reasonably priced, in 72" sticks of various diameters >> http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=325-4548&PMPXNO=5810914&PARTPG=INLMK32 <<
I would think it is also available in Australia.

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2008, 01:40 PM
Gil

have you a photo of the parting knife?
or is it a lot like the son's knife

Gil Jones
4th November 2008, 03:47 PM
When it was new, it looked just like the knife in the link on my post.
Here is a pic of it now. I use it very often as a parting tool for small work. The blade is fairly stiff stainless steel, and is 1.36mm thick at the tip, and 1.6mm thick where it enters the handle.

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks

Gil Jones
5th November 2008, 03:46 PM
Welcome:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2008, 04:29 PM
Love the garrote! :D

I can see I'm gonna have to replace the electrical connectors on the ends of mine with "real" handles now...