PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Reno 80s House

Pablo
6th April 2004, 08:33 PM
SWMBO is planning to renovate the kitchen in our 80s house. We are looking at resurfacing the breakfast bar that was laminate and then was coated with a ceramic finish. That hasn't lived up to expectations - only lasting a couple of years.

We are thinking granite or a mate is importing Italian laminate that looks really durable e.g. some of the metallic finishes ARE METAL!! I find that exciting in this world where even Imogen Bailey is plastic.

Cupboard doors are in her sights too. As is the exposed brick wall in the kitchen and on the other side of the breakfast bar (facing into the family room).

I visited the Ikea site where you design your own kitchen, but I'd really appreciate any comments from anyone!!:confused:

Cheers
Pablo.

Greg Hudson
7th April 2004, 01:01 AM
G'Day.
One option for a new benchtop is from a company called Granite Transformations. They supply a product (imported from Italy) which is granite, crushed up, then glued back together with some kind of resin. This is then polished to give a genuine 'Granite' look - which it is, being real granite.

The main advantage it has over real granite, is that it is non-porus (unlike real granite). You might think this is not important, but just wait till you spill something nasty.

We had this stuff installed into our kitchen, and some time later I bought 'she who should be obeyed' some flowers in a pot, wrapped in purple tissue... They were left on ther bench for a few days, and when we went to move them, found the water in the pot had leached the purple pigment into the benchtop (or so we thought). A bit off rubbing with sparay & wipe, and the stain was gone... Simply not possible with a 'real' granite (or marble) benchtop - they would have been permanently marked.

BTW, I have no affilliation with the company - just a satisfied customer.

Only drawback was during installation... HUGE amounts of dust as the edges were ground (onsite - in the kitchen. Could not be dome any other way!).

Check them out - well worth a look.

Regards, Greg.

Pablo
8th April 2004, 12:23 AM
:D
Thanks for the info!! While you were composing your reply, SWMBO was on the 'phone to, guess who??

Granite Transformations here in the West!! They're coming to see us after Easter. The product looks good and your advice was most welcome.

Many thanks

Pablo