PDA

View Full Version : Reeves Pullies and where to find them?

houck1355
3rd November 2008, 04:34 PM
Hello folks, Ive been having a real hard time tracking down a good place to purchase a Reeves Pulley for a Delta 46 545 Model Wood Lathe. I know it will also accept the 544 and 546, uses the same size pulley, bore is the same etc.

Does anyone happen to know a good website to purchase Reeves Pulleys? I was amazed at a couple sites I saw and...WOW the price! Its almost 1/3rd of the cost of the lathe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, The delta part number is 434-04-406-5002, if that is of any help in tracking one down.

Thanks,
Tim
<!-- / message -->

INVENTOR
3rd November 2008, 08:59 PM
Tim, most of the reeves pulleys in variable speed drives ( other than used in lathes) are used in industry and so will be very expensive. Do your pulleys interlock? Or just tapered sides. If they are simple in shape, have you considered getting new ones machined by a small engineering shop?
As you are probably aware the belts for the vari drives are often very expensive as well. often approaching $50-$100 each.

Sorry I can't be more help.
:)

woodwork wally
3rd November 2008, 10:09 PM
Gidday a mate of mine had the motor pulley on his Delta disintergrate and used a motor pulley set from an mc1100 ex hare and forbes Machinery house which had to be drilled and the keyway recut but was cheapest way to do it Yes Invetor the pulleys do interlock on the Delta and MC1100
but they do use a cheaper grade of alloy Also another mate has a Delta with the same mod because his flew apart under warrantee and Delta had been taken over by B&Decker and service is was good as T/T has been for Toastee ie non existant and dealers had to fix that one any way it can be done . My MC1100 has just had its new set fitted after 5 years of hard yacker so I am not bitching . I believe there is a bit of a problem with speed ie. a loss of about 800 revs at the top end on the modde Delta but lathes are still usable . Other option is a pair of step pulleys ah lah Vicmarc Vemec and some T/Tool and other proprietry lines Your choice mate but I have thrown all that I know for the moment at your feet to sort out Feel free to pm me if you need further info Regards WW.Wally

houck1355
4th November 2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks so much for the information fellas, Ill take a look at the idea of a conversion. And Ill second the whole Black and Decker thing there. I use to work for Delta/Porter Cable as a machinist in the U.S. before B&D bought them out. 90% of everything is made in China now and I think we can all agree that means poorer quality. But at least they sold everything dirt cheap to the employees instead of shipping it over! I got some equipment, and got more than a lifetimes supply of sawblades and router bits for a few hundred dollars.

Thanks again!

Tim

Mobil Man
4th November 2008, 12:41 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/qa_support.aspx Try this co. My Grizzly has the same pulley system & I had to replace them. They didn't have the same diameter pulley but sent me a replacement real fast. The new ones are a bit smaller & when trying to use the highest rpm the pulleys touch at top, slinging the belt off. So, just not use the highest speed. Call tech. support & give them the size & maybe they can get you up & running.

woodwork wally
8th November 2008, 08:59 PM
Gidday Mobil Man Just a thought on your problem could you maybe use a 10 mm. shorter belt to keep the pully from closing so far Just a thought cheers Wally

Mobil Man
12th November 2008, 01:21 AM
That might work, Wally. Have also kicked around the idea of a small diameter spacer to go between the pulleys to keep a 1/2" gap, but it's a lot of work taking it out of the cabinet & doing it. So---I just don't use high speed. Thanks