PDA

View Full Version : Green Woodwork

castle
4th November 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi All
Just signed up to the forum. Have been interested in green woodwork for few years. Was given a copy of Mike Abbots book and that got me started. Worked with a few different timbers with varying success. Still in the proces of collecting a good tool kit. Second hand and ebay are good if you have the time to browse.

Twinnie
4th November 2008, 12:23 PM
welcome aboard

derekh
4th November 2008, 03:43 PM
Hi from a wannabe Green Woodworker. I get my tools from the local markets, drawknives, adze, froes, etc and I've made myself a Shave Horse and Pole Lathe. I'm still learning how to use the tools correctly and what straight grained timbers to use. Pls post some photos of your work when you get a chance.

cheers
Derek

castle
5th November 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Derek
Good to hear from you. I have knocked up a pole lathe as per Mike Abbotts book. I use the two poles and bungy cord method rather than a single pole. I am still chasing a reasonable froe. I have found Ron Edwards' books to be excellent sources of information regarding broad axes,adzes and other traditional tools.
Cheers
Jamie

Twinnie
5th November 2008, 10:39 PM
the froe is easy i had my local welder knock one up for $30 and i just made the handle and sharpened it with an angle grinder.

Claw Hama
6th November 2008, 07:53 AM
What green projects have you guys been making? Chairs, tables etc