PDA

View Full Version : Review - Projecta 7-Stage 12v Battery Charger

Dean
4th November 2008, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

Just finished a review of this fancy 7-stage battery charger from Projecta.
Read it online here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/genreviews/reviews/ProjectaIC1216.htm

Hope it helps! ;-)

NCArcher
4th November 2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks Dean,
Looks like a nice bit of gear. The price is pretty good for what it is capable of.
It seems to have one short coming however. Where is the dedicated setting for removing rust from a plane body in an electrolysis bath? :doh:

abitfishy
4th November 2008, 03:33 PM
Fantastic review, and from the sounds of it, fantastic charger.

I was ready to drop dead at the end waiting for the price - chargers can be hideously expensive, but considering its features, I reckon this is on the money.

I'm just wondering though how it would go charging a 7ah SLA battery on the lower amperage since it mentions 14 +. I use one (occasionally) for a fish finder on a kayak.

Dean
4th November 2008, 04:50 PM
Yep its a nice charger! As for the 7Ah battery... no problem. I have the same size 12v battery I use for my boat sounder and lights. (well 7.2Ah). I charge it using this charger on the 2 Amp setting. It has worked fine for me with no problem.

Dean
4th November 2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks Dean,
Looks like a nice bit of gear. The price is pretty good for what it is capable of.
It seems to have one short coming however. Where is the dedicated setting for removing rust from a plane body in an electrolysis bath? :doh:

Yep i think that is the only thing missing :p

abitfishy
4th November 2008, 04:54 PM
Excellent.

In that case I assume the $150 price I can get one for is pretty darn reasonable. :2tsup:

Dean
4th November 2008, 05:02 PM
Excellent.

In that case I assume the $150 price I can get one for is pretty darn reasonable. :2tsup:

Yes! Very good price if you can get it for that. Just check if it is the 16Amp max version or the 8Amp max. There is another model that only goes to 8 Amp max, but is identical looks and feature-wise. Of course you might only want the 8 Amp model, and if so, save some $$ buying that one instead.

abitfishy
4th November 2008, 05:10 PM
Yep, 16,000mA.

You're right about the 8000, I assume it would charge all the batteries I'd ever need it for, so maybe it would be cheaper still. But then again, at $150 would you bother? :)

Dean
4th November 2008, 05:22 PM
Yep, 16,000mA.

You're right about the 8000, I assume it would charge all the batteries I'd ever need it for, so maybe it would be cheaper still. But then again, at $150 would you bother? :)

Nope for that price I'd go the 16,000mA because you never know when you might need that extra charge current :), plus it has an 8A setting anyway :D

Where have you found it for $150? If you don't mind me asking? I might get a second one at that price! :2tsup:

abitfishy
4th November 2008, 06:52 PM
Here ya go, I just bought one, from good old fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROJECTA-7-STAGE-AUTOMATIC-12V-16-000mA-BATTERY-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ320315212465QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30862QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He has the 8000mA model for $140.....like you'd bother to save $10. :no:

abitfishy
6th November 2008, 03:05 PM
I must say, what fantastic service from ebay user '4wdextreme'. Purchased and paid 6.45 Tuesday night, parcel sent Express Post on Wednesday (from SA), received today in Sydney.

This guy has renewed my faith that there are still good ebay sellers. :2tsup: