PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Red Gum Burl

Shedhand
4th November 2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know much about turning but today I came across a large Sydney Red Gum burl. Its been cut :oo: from the bark surface to the sawn face in slices about 3" (75mm) thick. It is REALLY nice to look at rough sawn even. If any turners are interested PM me and I'll get the guy who has them to give me some pics to post or a contact so you can deal directly with him. I/m on the NW Coast of Tassie.
Cheers

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2008, 10:09 PM
why not get some pics for all of us to see :;

Manuka Jock
4th November 2008, 10:13 PM
Its been cut :oo: from the bark surface to the sawn face in slices about 3" (75mm) thick.

Bugga , no chance of coring it out for some big bowls then eh

tea lady
5th November 2008, 09:37 AM
why not get some pics for all of us to see :;Yes! We like wood here.:rolleyes:

rsser
5th November 2008, 01:32 PM
A squillion clockfaces ... what a waste.

Manuka Jock
5th November 2008, 02:14 PM
There are times when the Sawmiller is the Woodworker's greatest enemy huh :((

switt775
5th November 2008, 02:21 PM
Here's (http://www.graysonline.com.au/catalogue.asp?SALE_ID=70408&SALE_TYPE=THUMB)another one to make the turners cry (scroll down to the bottom to see the mutilated burl).

rsser
5th November 2008, 02:36 PM
There are times when the Sawmiller is the Woodworker's greatest enemy huh :((

Not to mention local authority tree loppers.

Over my way they usually woodchip on site, or else cut into short lengths for burning, ffs.

Manuka Jock
5th November 2008, 02:42 PM
Same here .
Even it there is an agreement to give the suitable logs etc. to community organisations , it gets tossed into the too hard basket by the on the job supervisors

Shedhand
5th November 2008, 07:04 PM
Here's (http://www.graysonline.com.au/catalogue.asp?SALE_ID=70408&SALE_TYPE=THUMB)another one to make the turners cry (scroll down to the bottom to see the mutilated burl)....and they'll stick one of those god-awful plastic clock in the hole and call it art. Philistines..:((

Shedhand
5th November 2008, 07:05 PM
I'll drop round to the guy tomorrow and take my laptop with me so he can transfer the pics direct and I can then post them. At 3" thick i'd imagine there would be scope for shallow (platter type) bowls. Anyway, what do I know. I'll post pics termorra.

Cliff Rogers
6th November 2008, 08:46 AM
It would make nice platters, pity it is so far away from me. :(

hughie
6th November 2008, 11:24 AM
..and they'll stick one of those god-awful plastic clock in the hole and call it art. Philistines..

Are! Philistine art, a venerable art form to many no doubt........:U

Manuka Jock
6th November 2008, 11:34 AM
Philistine art , out of the same school as Kitsch , eh :oo: