PDA

View Full Version : new saw

Qldr
8th April 2004, 10:53 AM
Hope I am doing this right am a new member at present am using a delta q3 but looking for a parallel arm saw as find the c arms a bit vicious on the really fine stuf tossing up between a dewalt or hegner price is a bit of a turn of in regards to hegner would be very interested in your comments:D :confused:

oges
8th April 2004, 02:08 PM
I really must look up one day what the difference is between an parallel arm and c arm saw is.

Where have you managed to find a seller for the Dewalt in Australia? I didnt think they sold them here anymore since moving operations to Korea.

Like you said the Hegner can be expensive depending on the model you get, have tested one out and they are a nice saw.

I myself am looking to get the Delta P-20 which is just under $1k at Carbatec.
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=929

AlexS
8th April 2004, 04:13 PM
I have a Hegner about 10 years old, and am very happy with it, but I tried out a DeWalt a few years ago (only briefly) and quite liked the following features:

Cheaper
Deeper cut
Table tilted both ways.
Mimimal vibration - comparable with Hegner
plenty of grunt - cut through 25mm blue gum with no problems.

I don't know if the De W is still around, but if it is it's certainly worth having a good look at.

I think that whichever you buy you'll be happy.

fxst
8th April 2004, 11:26 PM
As a hegner owner I am biased but yep they are worth the $$ in my view
Pete

Iain
9th April 2004, 09:24 AM
I have a DW788 which I think is brilliant, still available at BUnnies, Total Tools and I know that Carba TEc used to carry them.
The price varies enormously between $1K and $1400.
My own view is that the DW is a bit more advanced than the Hegner but then I am biased as I used to demo them for DW at shows several years ago.

Qldr
9th April 2004, 10:09 AM
Many thanks for your help:D I got the information for a dewalt from Glenfords tools up here in Qld that Delta p20 sounds interesting Dewalt might not be a good idea if availability is going to be tricky:mad: must go and see if I can have a go with a Hegner if possible you hear so much for and against what ever I get must have a quick blade change as do lots of interiour cuts:rolleyes:

Iain
11th April 2004, 12:04 PM
I forgot to mention, have a close look at the DW788 and the country of manufacture (Canada) the head mechanism, then have a close look at the ultimate scrollsaw (Excalibre by Sommerville), country of manufacture (Canada), head mechanism (same) and draw your own conclusions.
It's also about half the price of an Excalibre too.
Fast blade change, all controls up front, a blower that actually works and huge throat (I was going to say deep but that would start a whole new topic:rolleyes: )

Gumpy
9th May 2004, 11:01 PM
Qldr

I am another Hegner fan, as a secondary school teacher we only buy tools (funds permitting) that the students cannot break and the Hegner has proven this to be the case. Its been going strong for 14 years now but cannot afford to buy another one :( . A gmc is the backup but this will only last about 2 years from what I am told.

Daniel