PDA

View Full Version : Progress on grandfather

Swifty
6th November 2008, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

Progress has been slow :( but enjoyable:U. It seems like months since I started...that's because it has :rolleyes:. Anyway, a few snap shots shown below. It's an HB905 plan, I have altered the foot and the pediment a lot from the plan. It stands a lofty 7' 3". I still need to finish the foot, put mitres on the pediment and actually fit the clock.
Blackwood is a nice timber, tends to burn easily when routered but gives a really beautiful finish. I have used Minwax wipe on polyurethane, for the first time.
I am hoping to get it finished before Christmas, even sooner if I can.

ravlord13
7th November 2008, 01:27 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
G'day Swifty,
Looking GOOD mate, I thought you had dropped the ball there for a while as we hadn't heard from you.
With the blackwood and the router try slowing down your speed a bit, it also helps to stop any splintering on the end grain especially in Fiddle back.
How did you go with the Wipe on Poly ? That is about all we use now, The wife has got it down pat and even had a furnish maker offer her a job, I had to refuse for her though cause I would be buggered with out her.
Catch ya
Andrew

Hobbyhorse
7th November 2008, 08:15 PM
Swifty that is a fine piece of work. Congratulations

When I built my one it seemed to take forever too....I always was poor at estimating hours in a job!!

Rhys

Swifty
16th November 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys.
Brought the clock inside yesterday to do an initial fit to find out dimensions for my dial frame. The movement is a Hermle 471, nice with brass tubes for the chimes.
Still haven't mitred the hood - as it's so wide (200mm) I'm a bit stumped as to how to do it...:C
Some more piccies below...

ravlord13
17th November 2008, 09:37 AM
G'Day Swifty,
Its looking good Mate.:2tsup:
You have chosen one of the best contempary movements avaliable !
The cost puts a lot of people off the tubular chime movements but they have a very mellow sound and are (as you would know ) the top of the range avaliable.
Will we see it finished by christmas?
Catch Ya
Andrew

Wongo
17th November 2008, 01:21 PM
That is a nice piece of work. Well done.

patrickdt10
23rd November 2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks guys.
Brought the clock inside yesterday to do an initial fit to find out dimensions for my dial frame. The movement is a Hermle 471, nice with brass tubes for the chimes.
Still haven't mitred the hood - as it's so wide (200mm) I'm a bit stumped as to how to do it...:C
Some more piccies below...
thats an absolute beauty swifty! ah what sort of money would the clock mechanism set a guy back?

artme
28th November 2008, 12:30 AM
Lovely clock Swifty! Great workmanship! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Caliban
23rd December 2008, 08:55 AM
Why do you guys keep making me feel so inferior?
My clock mechanism is sitting nice and safe in the packing crate on the top shelf in the shed. Strewth that looks good and it's the exact case I'm planning on making.
To borrow a phrase from a tv show called Fat Pizza, "that is fully sick, Habib!"

GoGuppy
23rd December 2008, 02:27 PM
thats an absolute beauty swifty! ah what sort of money would the clock mechanism set a guy back?
Patrick, on ebay see the following link. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6612043954
Cheers

Swifty
7th March 2009, 03:52 PM
Seems like there is no time to get this done, I'm 99% of the way there just need to get some time off work for the final bits now - dial frame and clock supports, glass fitting and finial seat on top, everything else about done. I'm so glad I did my finishing as I went along, would be terrible to have to do the whole lot in one go:o.
Latest thing I did was cut the bevels for the hood and glue it in place. I used my new 10" table saw for that, a marvelous piece of equipment which replaced my tiny Triton compact saw table. :2tsup:
Anyway a couple of more pics showing the gluing up of the hood and the finished hood on the clock as it stands inside the house. Also put the foot on at the same time.
Cheers

ravlord13
7th March 2009, 07:02 PM
Getting there Swifty, slow and steady as they say.
My next one is still in the planning stages, well not quite I have the wood, Movement , Dial but no time to seem to start.
Like you I will get there.
Keep at it Mate it is looking GOOD:2tsup:

Catch Ya
Andrew

Dengue
26th April 2009, 11:38 AM
This is absolutely beautiful, Swifty, congratulations. Have you got photos of the final product?

Swifty
26th April 2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your kind comment Jill:). The finished product on another post in this section.
Regards