PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tools Collection

Scribbly Gum
7th November 2008, 09:24 PM
Here is just a quick heads up for next Friday night's episode of Collectors on ABC TV at 8:00pm
Tonight's preview showed what appeared to be a serious collection of old woodworking Tools - not sure where, or even if, it is a group collection or a museum.
However it does look like one not to be missed.

Regards from Tele Point
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Slow6
8th November 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Tom, It would have slipped past me.

Should be good :)

lightwood
9th November 2008, 11:13 PM
Here is just a quick heads up for next Friday night's episode of Collectors on ABC TV at 8:00pm
Tonight's preview showed what appeared to be a serious collection of old woodworking Tools - not sure where, or even if, it is a group collection or a museum.
However it does look like one not to be missed.

Regards from Tele Point
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

SG,
That was the filmed at our Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia's 25th anniversary convention last April (http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/coming_up.htm). I did a presentation on plane making at the conference, and because I was talking about making "new old tools" hopefully I missed out on getting my ugly mug on the screen. These conferences are held every 2 years, and are terrific to attend, go to the HTPAA website (http://www.htpaa.org.au/conf.php) and you will find some pictures of the previous one in 2006. (I gave a talk on Chaplin's Patent planes at that one, which has ended up as this page on my website (http://www.petermcbride.com/chaplin/).

Also the program for the one they filmed in April is on the HTPAA site...no pictures there yet.

I hope they show how good that conference was, and how much valuable information can be got at these events. There was a huge amount of work put in by a really enthusiastic group to make the one in April 2008 a great success.

Regards,
Peter

Scribbly Gum
10th November 2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks Peter,
It looks like it will be a most interesting program.
Often some presentations are so heavily edited that interesting bits are left out, while others seem to go on forever.
I hope that the coverage given on this occasion is substantial and includes the bits that real world tool collectors will enjoy, not simply what looks like good film copy.
We shall see.
Regards from Tele Point
SG:C:C:C

Slow6
14th November 2008, 08:34 PM
well that was disappointing :(

Scribbly Gum
14th November 2008, 10:22 PM
well that was disappointing :(

...yep, not a very stimulating report was it?
We've seen more in-depth reporting on tea-pots than was shown tonight on hand tools.
Saw Paul(?) Ham speak a couple of times on the show but not about his areas of expertise.
Looked in vain for Peter McBride but couldn't see him, even in the background.
I think I am going to have to join the Hand Tool Preservation Association and go to the Conference in person to get to learn something.
Damned video editors!!
Disappointed in Tele Point

Slow6
14th November 2008, 10:39 PM
Damned video editors!!

I actually got the impression that not only had it been badly edited but that whoever went along to do the interviews did so with little enthusiasm.

Maybe a member who was there could pipe up and confirm? it didn't seem as any one on film was particularly at ease.

did get some brief drive by's of some pretty nice kit though.

Tie press was too easy:doh:

lightwood
15th November 2008, 08:41 AM
...yep, not a very stimulating report was it?
We've seen more in-depth reporting on tea-pots than was shown tonight on hand tools.
Saw Paul(?) Ham speak a couple of times on the show but not about his areas of expertise.
Looked in vain for Peter McBride but couldn't see him, even in the background.
I think I am going to have to join the Hand Tool Preservation Association and go to the Conference in person to get to learn something.
Damned video editors!!
Disappointed in Tele Point
SG,
I couldn't watch the show last night, we were celebrating baby Jack's 1st birthday last night, with amber fluid and burnt offerings to the BBQ gods.
So just went and looked at the segment on line (http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s2420085.htm)...
I managed to avoid the limelight, but my new old planes got the last still shot of the segment, almost as quick as subliminal advertising though.:U
Hopefully what Laurie said about not throwing old tools away is heeded, but then again it is a show for collectors, who aren't likely to throw anything away anyhow. Preaching to the choir perhaps?
Had to go back and take another couple of looks at Frank Ham's Pike & Dean's Patented Plane with the circular cutout in the side wall...that is a particularly nice one.
Regards,
Peter