PDA

View Full Version : Pink Acrylic needed - help

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2008, 08:01 AM
morning
A young lass at work would like a pink pen - fuschia pink (whatever that is?)
She doesn't want swirls etc. Doesn't want glitter either:no:
I've had a look at Addictive, Carrolls, AustWoodcraft and a couple of US sites
Anyone got any ideas please

KevM
8th November 2008, 08:13 AM
How about this one from GPW (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136754&product_id=1107448478).
http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/persistent/catalogue_images/products/pink.jpg

corbs
8th November 2008, 08:41 AM
SM,
Fuschia should be a light subtle pink and without swirls I am not sure you will find what you are after in Australia. There are a few guys on the forums doing their own casting and they might be able to do a custom job for you or you could purchase from the states? Cotton Candy Pink (http://cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146681&product_id=1107452216) from Carrolls would be closer to your target colour but its got swirls so not going to help you out there.

Good luck with the hunting,
Corbs

gawdelpus
8th November 2008, 08:50 AM
Maybe one of the "pink Ivories" in timber would be close,it can vary from pale pink to quite a dark pink , If you do go for an acrylic make sure you paint the tube and inside the drilled hole white, to lighten the color of the acrylic. Good luck in your quest :)

BoomerangInfo
8th November 2008, 08:57 AM
morning

Hey mate,

I'm up for an experiment. I'll go and do up a casting and post a piccy later today or tomorrow when it's out of the mould, and see if it's kind of like what you're after. Fuschia is a hot pink/purple similar to the colour Kev posted. My biggest problem is I still have limited colours, but am expanding my range this week hopefully.

Russell.

schaf
8th November 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Sawdust,

Here is a photo of the cotton candy made up.

Terry

corbs
8th November 2008, 09:07 AM
Ok then... just googled Fuschia and Russell/Kev are correct, it is vivid. I always thought it was a light pink (I am not overly upset I didn't know what colour Fuschia was:;)

BoomerangInfo
8th November 2008, 10:14 AM
Mine's in the pot setting. I know you said no glitter, but I had to add a little pearlex red to tone down the pink colour I had. The white has basically overridden that though, except for a subtle highlight in bright light - that's in the unset resin anyway. Mine may be a little off fuschia though.

Now just gotta watch the clock for a few hours, then you can judge for yourself.

Russell.

timberbits
8th November 2008, 03:57 PM
morning

Have you thought about just going to a plastic sign making factory and buying Pink Perspex? you could probably get an off cut off a 20mm sheet.

I will be pink and plain, if you think that perspex is not hard enough then just put a CA finish on it.

Timberbits.

PenTurner
8th November 2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=51908

May be of help, Amos:)

BoomerangInfo
8th November 2008, 04:31 PM
Well, here's what came out.

Unfortunately not quite Fuschia, but it is a nice pink. Until I get more pigments, that's the best I can do.

That's my standard single blank size - approx 140mm x 22 x 22. If you're interested let me know, otherwise I'll turn it into my next Streamline :D

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks all

KevM
I couldn't get onto GPW when I tried earlier - looks like the link in my "bookmarks" is wrong - so found it now thanks. Not sure it's pink enough but I'll show her on Monday. thanks

corbs and schaf
thanks - I showed her that blank and she scoffed - said I knew nothing about girls and pink - I agreed (been married 18 years and still don't understand women :o)

timberbits
not a bad idea - mob around the corner sell all types - might see what they've got.

Woodenink
Amos - thanks. distinct possibility. if all else fails ...

BoomerangInfo
Thanks heaps - I'll show the young lady on Monday and maybe we can deal

billym
8th November 2008, 05:34 PM
Gday sawdust maker you could try Adelaide Moulding and Craft Supplies [email protected] good luck billym

BoomerangInfo
12th November 2008, 09:49 PM
BoomerangInfo
Thanks heaps - I'll show the young lady on Monday and maybe we can deal

So how'd you go? Make the sale?

I put a big order for pigments in last weekend, but they won't even have them in until tomorrow, so another weekend's experimenting shot :( There's stil a lot to be said for the traditional "walk in the door" shop.

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
12th November 2008, 10:09 PM
Not yet
but I'm still hopeful
I'll let you know tomorrow evening one way or the other

petersemple
13th November 2008, 01:28 PM
One thing that I have done before is to use a white blank and then painted the brass a colour to show through. It is a bit hit and miss though where there is a distinct colour in mind. You would probably paint the tube a shade darker than you are after as the white blank will lighten it up a bit. I have done this before to get a pink blank, but I was shooting for baby pink.

Peter

BoomerangInfo
13th November 2008, 01:55 PM
When you say white, I take it you mean transparent white? Opaque white wouldn't let any colour through.

Does the colour diffuse through the whole blank in that case, or is it a coloured middle & white outer?

Russell.

petersemple
13th November 2008, 03:38 PM
In my case it was a white pearlescent blank, but in the OP case where no swirls are desired then I guess a more even white would be better. It would only work if you were leaving the acrylic fairly thin. A slimline turned straight with approx 1mm of acrylic thickness will show through the underlying colour pretty well, even in a fairly opaque blank, just because it is so thin. IMO even the opaque colours start to become quite translucent if they are thin enough.

Peter

Sawdust Maker
13th November 2008, 08:47 PM
Russell and everybody
thanks for all your help and offerings and opinions :2tsup:
She's decided that she doesn't need a pen at the moment :doh: bugger :C
No doubt in 3 weeks time it'll be urgent and I'll have to produce an exquisite pen within a day or two :roll:
In any event the ideas have been eye opening and I hope somewhat useful to others

cheers

Nick

BoomerangInfo
13th November 2008, 10:20 PM
Cool,

That means I get to make two resin pens while I'm home for the weekend :P

Now just to decide - Sierra, Streamline or Executive? Decisions, decisions...

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2008, 08:59 AM
Russell
Post a piccy so I can make her jealous:o

BoomerangInfo
16th November 2008, 04:57 PM
Well you asked for it, here it is

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2008, 08:40 PM
Russell
great effort :2tsup:
I'm not a pink person but that looks good
I'll show her on Wednesday - I think I gave her the day off tomorrow

BoomerangInfo
23rd November 2008, 07:53 AM
Well, my son saw it, and loves pink - which I have no problem with - and asked if he could have it, so I said yes. It matches his Nintendo DS colours anyway :)

Russell.