PDA

View Full Version : Galbert Caliper

JDarvall
8th November 2008, 10:59 AM
Thought someone here be interested in this....

I got mine recently in metric, and have become fond of it for copy work between centres.

Basically its a tool for sizing your work quickly without having to mess about with several regular calipers. Uno, how you may have a few setup, and it can be fiddly keeping track of which caliper goes where etc. Well, you can sidetrack all that, and just use his caliper.

You just press it into your work as you push your parting tool in and it gives you ongoing reading of the spindle size at that point. And just pull off when you hit the size you want. Go through all your sizes real quick, just refering off your sizes on your drawing.

A guy in the states came up with it. Peter Galbert. He's a top chairmaker. Came up with the idea from his own personal frustration with calipers. here....
http://www.petergalbertchairmaker.com/caliper.html
He's got videos in there I think, that probably describe it better.

Jake.

Groggy
8th November 2008, 11:24 AM
Handy looking gadget. Spanners work for small stuff but that would be handy for larger diameters. Does he make it in metric?

JDarvall
8th November 2008, 11:35 AM
yep, I got mine in metric. You can calibrate it as well, to make sure its reading right. Which I did initially.

rsser
8th November 2008, 11:38 AM
Nifty - thanks for the post.

... didn't watch all the vids but it would be nice to have a stop for repetitive depth work.

Ed Reiss
8th November 2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the 411 Jake....seems to be a real asset:2tsup:

orraloon
8th November 2008, 08:25 PM
Looks like something that is usefull or should I say something I need.

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2008, 08:55 PM
Beauty, another gadget I need :D
thanks for the addition to the tool acquisition list. hmm seems to be getting longer

TTIT
9th November 2008, 01:24 AM
:~:~:~ Why oh why do I see these things as another challenge to make my own - grrrrr!

rsser
9th November 2008, 01:08 PM
Who was it who said 'man is a tool-making animal'? :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th November 2008, 04:29 PM
Any SWMBO. :rolleyes:

rsser
9th November 2008, 04:50 PM
Over to you Vern ;-}

woodwork wally
9th November 2008, 07:44 PM
Go for it Vern Only the lazer set up needed on my now and the brass rubbing cover for the cutter
That cover should have been finished but my shed took charge of the brass and wont give it up yet
Cheers for now Wally