PDA

View Full Version : New Toys!

Paul39
10th November 2008, 10:37 AM
Went to look at an 8 inch wheel 1725 no name Taiwan grinder.

Came home with the grinder, with installed Wolverine Grinding Jig, and new Vari-Grind attachment, and new diamond truing tool.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBIGDAD%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Hegner HDB 175 lathe, big faceplate, Oneway Talon Chuck, drive center, ball bearing live center, big stout bench, and a wheelbarrow full of dry black walnut crotch wood.

A woodworker bought the above six years ago from a yard sale thinking he might want to do some turning. Never used any of it. Lathe and grinder look like new and run smooth and quiet.

All for US$ 500.

I had to tell someone. I'm so pleased I can barely stand it.

Do any of you use one of these lathes? Anything I should watch for?

Paul

OGYT
10th November 2008, 11:14 AM
Paul, I've never used that lathe before, but it should give you years of service. Hegner is the manufacturer of the VB lathe, I believe. I don't think they ever made any junk. The walnut crotchwood sounds like a good deal, too. Congratulations!! If you're pleased, that's the most important part! :D

Pat
10th November 2008, 12:56 PM
:worthless:

hughie
10th November 2008, 12:57 PM
Paul,
What you have got is 175 which was the forerunner of the 200, see link below if your 175 is built the same way as the 200. Then you have got a damn fine lathe that will give you good service for many years to come. :2tsup: good pick up!

http://www.hegner.co.uk/pages/Hegner_Machines/HDB_Lathes/Specifications/specifications.html

Ed Reiss
10th November 2008, 01:16 PM
Paul, Paul, Paul...didn't anyone ever tell you about the Hegner lathes??:o:doh: You really don't want to know....tell you what, I'll make the sacrifice trip down to the Carolinas and won't charge you a cent to take that equipment off your hands:2tsup: lol

Seriously, sounds like you got a great deal for all that equipment...enjoy!!!:U

tea lady
10th November 2008, 03:07 PM
Paul, grinning makes you talk funny.:doh::D

At least you came back with the thing that was on your shopping list.:cool: Have fun with your new toys.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
10th November 2008, 08:57 PM
US$500 grinder with a lathe thrown in - priceless :2tsup:
well done - we could see your grin all the way over here - thought the sun was coming up early :o

and I agree with Pat - we need piccies:! - in fact there is little belief around this forum without piccies

joe greiner
10th November 2008, 09:27 PM
Paul, you've made a very serious mistake in acquiring this equipment. You could even be accused of theft.

It's said that a poor mechanic blames his tools. Now, you'll have to blame yourself when you post some pictures. We'll be kind, though; maybe; sort of.

All kidding aside, very nice score.:2tsup:

Joe

orificiam
10th November 2008, 09:40 PM
:2tsup:Way to go Paul. congrats. and Happy turning.Cheers Tony.

Paul39
11th November 2008, 11:33 AM
Did not unload the car last night as it was almost dark and I had to build fires in the wood stove and boiler or I would be uncomfortable by morning. 32 F last night.

I didn't have room to bring the bench, so first thing this morning unloaded everything into the back yard, put the lathe on a couple of saw horses, mounted the piece of spalted maple the previous owner had put on the screw, gave my high carbon steel gouge a freehand swipe on the new grinder and had a go.

Wind blowing from the north, 50 degrees, hat, jacket, bare hands - rotating machinery.

Working at the slowest speed, 800 rpm, knocked off the out of round, bark, rot, etc. Using the Wolverine jig, I did a more careful sharpen and started contouring. I do not have a lot of experience turning, but very quickly I had the angle and twist right and was getting that sweet hissing sound and stream of wood flying off the soon to be vase.

Even after seeing very accomplished turners demonstrate and extol the virtues, I have been sceptical of claims and rituals attending grinding jigs, and would not buy the setup, (maybe make a shop made one someday).

I needed a decent slow speed grinder and when this whole outfit fell into my lap, I did it. The grinding jig does work nicely, I'm not sure it is worth the retail money. Very much worth what I paid.

I shaped the outside with a couple of catches and unintentional grooves, which I then took out with freshly sharpened gouge and scraper. I 60 - 120 - 220 sanded and flooded with tung oil, wet sanded a bit with 220 a couple places, rubbed with my bare hands and polished with a strip of rag on the lathe. I took this with me to show the previous owner when I went to get the bench and wood. He was impressed.

By this time I was shaking from the cold, so stopped and had lunch. I then stuck a piece of green wild cherry that I had roughed out on my 10" swing metal lathe. It is about 9" in diameter and will be a bowl. It was an almost perfect Y crotch so that when turned it has three bulls eyes and three rough bark inclusions with a random hole or two. It was a bit out of balance but the lathe took that without shaking or vibrating. The turning was: end grain, nothing, endgrain, nothing, endgrain, nothing, each revolution. I had a couple of good catches, which caused the belt to slip, and a couple of tearouts when the tool got dull. The lathe was just sitting on two saw horses and stayed in place. I have an old 12" swing Delta with angle iron type bed that I chase all over the shop.

I would like a lower speed when I turn the max diameter or outboard. I might have to make a smaller motor pulley.

It is supposed to be overcast tomorrow, nicer for detail in the shadows. I will take photos and post them.

The lathe was built in 1985. It does have the through hole on the tailstock ram. The spindle has the metric 33mm outside thread and a partial internal thread. The Oneway chuck has the screw attachment and a 4 prong drive, so I'm covered there.

The bed is two rectangular steel tubes, head and tailstock, cast iron along with the banjo and tool rest. I would prefer cast iron bed, but so far this is so stable I don't think it will make any difference.

I found one other reference to the Hegner 175 other than here, from a man in South Africa. He posted information about getting parts from Germany. If there is any interest I'll post that.

I am most pleased so far.

Yes, photos coming. Rain predicted tomorrow, I have to find a place for this lathe.

Paul

Ed Reiss
11th November 2008, 01:13 PM
...and how sweet it is! Good times to come:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
11th November 2008, 09:38 PM
... still no photos ! :no:

could be fiction :o

Manuka Jock
11th November 2008, 10:16 PM
nah , a good fiction writer would nick photos from somewhere ,

they just forgot to throw the digital camera in with the other Taiwan Grinder attachments :D

Paul39
12th November 2008, 11:13 AM
88417 Grinder

88418 Lathe overall

88419 Lathe close Up

88420 Spindle Nose

88421 Lathe Acc

TTIT
12th November 2008, 11:24 AM
Didn't know Hegner made smaller lathes like that but it looks like a good unit :2tsup:
The bit that has me baffled though is the Morse taper drive dog when the headstock spindle appears to have an internal thread ????:confuzzled:

Paul39
12th November 2008, 12:00 PM
The Morse taper drive dog came with the extra bits. It will not be wasted. My Delta has a No 2 MT Spindle.

P.

Paul39
12th November 2008, 12:16 PM

Paul39
12th November 2008, 12:56 PM
The spalted maple is my test piece. I made the shape and then resharpened my carbon steel gouge and just took off dust, then sanded and put on tung oil.

I'll make a bigger spigot on the bottom and grab that with the chuck before I hollow it.

The other two are the cherry crotch that I had roughed on my South Bend and tidied up a bit on the Hegner. It is still wet and about an inch thick with a stalk up the middle to grab with the chuck.

I have had too many hunks of wood come after me, so I like to have the tailstock on a piece as long as I can.

Is this enough to satisfy those crying for photos? After taking these, I grabbed a hunk of wood my daughter brought from Hawaii and knocked out a little bowl in only 5 hours. I will post that in a day or so.

Paul39
18th November 2008, 02:44 PM
Several years ago my daughter brought me two chunks of wood from Hawaii that were drilled for clock movements. They started to shed sawdust from little holes, so I microwaved them. I could do without the holes that showed up as I turned.

Below are photos of the blank, second completed bowl I'm willing to sign, and the set up for photographing. The diffuser is frosted drafting Mylar, but plain shower curtain liner works as well.

Paul