PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Kauri roughout

rsser
11th November 2008, 04:30 PM
A score at the WW show here in Melb. Bowerbird imported and milled it.

It's about 26cm wide.

There's a few interesting white flecks and one section of nice swirl figure.

It was very wet and soft and the fur on the end grain is testimony to that.

Thanks to Groggy for the heads-up about checking. I then double dipped the blank in wax and still had to wrap it in plakky.

B/bird advise to wrap the rough-out in plakky too and that it shouldn't grow mould cos all the sugars have been leached out ... over something like 45,000 years.

I'll bring the blank cut-offs to DJ's turnfest. Unfortunately they're too small for pen segments (sorry Stirlo) but would do for a small finial or knob. Let me know if you'd like one... first in best dressed.

tea lady
11th November 2008, 04:38 PM
:oo: He's hoed into it. :D I'll swap teeny offcut for a bit of my desert wood.:cool:

I'm going to hoe into the silky on Friday. :cool:

Grumpy John
11th November 2008, 04:49 PM
Well done Ern, I meant to ask about the ancient Hawaiian when we spoke the other day. A bowl saver might have come in handy, it's a shame to lose beautiful/costly timber as shavings :C. How long do you think you'll have to leave it wrapped in the placcy before it's ready for finishing?

rsser
11th November 2008, 04:56 PM
TL, done.

Have fun with the silky. Also take care with the drying. On the other hand a free f-up is no drama. A $90 f-up ... :oo:

Yeah, GJ, a corer might have yielded another bowl. Oh well.

Plakky for 2 - 3 months apparently. I'll be sneaking a look only slightly less often than I did with my (human) babies :-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th November 2008, 05:00 PM
Double-dipped and plastic wrapped? :oo:

I've a feeling that rough-out is going to be sitting on your shelf for a loooooong time before it's dry enough for final sizing.

I'll bring the blank cut-offs to DJ's turnfest. Unfortunately they're too small for pen segments (sorry Stirlo) but would do for a small finial or knob. Let me know if you'd like one... first in best dressed.

Too late to put my hand up?

Groggy
11th November 2008, 05:16 PM
Good point you raise there Ern, before gouging out the guts of it, it would be best to find a bowl saver to do the cut.

Nice looking bowl too, you can detect the translucence already :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
11th November 2008, 06:08 PM
Well done Ern, I meant to ask about the ancient Hawaiian when we spoke the other day. A bowl saver might have come in handy, it's a shame to lose beautiful/costly timber as shavings :C. How long do you think you'll have to leave it wrapped in the placcy before it's ready for finishing?

What does this ancient Hawaiian wood look like , how is it for turning ?
I have never heard of it , does anybody know what it is called .

rsser
11th November 2008, 06:23 PM
How's your bit going Groggy?

Skew, no 2 bit is yours.

MJ ... shame! ... it's your Kauri. Just been sitting in a bog for a while.

Groggy
11th November 2008, 06:27 PM
I soaked mine in wax and it seems to have stabilised. I can wait for it to dry out evenly, it is currently project MXVIII.

Manuka Jock
11th November 2008, 06:27 PM
How's your bit going Groggy?

Skew, no 2 bit is yours.

MJ ... shame! ... it's your Kauri. Just been sitting in a bog for a while.

I know what kauri is .

What was this crack about then ?

'ancient Hawaiian '

rsser
11th November 2008, 06:41 PM
A weak joke MJ from another thread.

Groggy, I'm not even going to try to decode those numerals ...

Expect they might match my roughouts from last year's show.

Manuka Jock
11th November 2008, 07:02 PM
A weak joke MJ from another thread.

Ah I see , I thought for a moment that my country's Taonga was being stolen by another and labeled as theirs .

dai sensei
11th November 2008, 07:11 PM
Double-dipped and plastic wrapped? :oo:

I've a feeling that rough-out is going to be sitting on your shelf for a loooooong time before it's dry enough for final sizing.

Good point, how can it dry out at all?

rsser
11th November 2008, 09:43 PM
Ah I see , I thought for a moment that my country's Taonga was being stolen by another and labeled as theirs .

No mate.

I hope I can honour your Taonga with my modest skills, and dedicate this work to the Maori.

Manuka Jock
11th November 2008, 09:56 PM
No mate.

I hope I can honour your Taonga with my modest skills, and dedicate this work to the Maori.

Ern ,
Kia-ora ehoa ,
pai to mahi rakau ,
tinopai to ipu kauri :2tsup:

Toka

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=88339&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1226381340 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=88339&d=1226381340) http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=88340&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1226381353 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=88340&d=1226381353)

orificiam
11th November 2008, 10:03 PM
That wood looks great Ern what was it like to turn?
can't wait to see the finished bowl.cheers Tony.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
12th November 2008, 01:14 AM
Beautiful swirling grain pattern showing up....looks like its going to be great when finished!:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
12th November 2008, 07:47 AM
Yes it has got good figure eh , its' going to glow when the chatoyance effect emerges :)

rsser
12th November 2008, 04:00 PM
Tried to translate your Maori MJ ... interesting language.

This is as far as I could get:

Kia-ora ehoa ,
Kia-ora - welcome, ehoa - ?

pai to mahi rakau ,
pai - agree, acceptable; to - the or your?; mahi - action; rakau - arms, ie weapons

tinopai to ipu kauri
tinopai - ?; to - the or your?; ipu - flagon; kauri

Toka
boulder??

Tony, it was pretty easy turning as most green wood is. The only risk was crushing the tenon plus ripping out chunks as I both trued and shaped from the bottom up. The tool was running brown water but there was no tannin in it.

Manuka Jock
12th November 2008, 05:27 PM
Tried to translate your Maori MJ ... interesting language.

This is as far as I could get:

Kia-ora ehoa ,
Kia-ora - welcome, ehoa - ?

pai to mahi rakau ,
pai - agree, acceptable; to - the or your?; mahi - action; rakau - arms, ie weapons

tinopai to ipu kauri
tinopai - ?; to - the or your?; ipu - flagon; kauri

Toka
boulder??

Kia-ora ehoa
Good health friend
Gidday mate :p

pai to mahi
good your action
nice gesture

tino-pai to ipu kauri
excellent your kauri bowl ( my mistake/aroha mai , ipu should be oko :- )
great piece that kauri bowl of yours

Toka
Jock :D

thefixer
12th November 2008, 09:35 PM
Hmmmm, 4500 years old. How much longer do you have to wait for it to dry out:oo::D.

Cheers
Shorty

rsser
12th November 2008, 10:12 PM
LOL.

It's making up for lost time.

robutacion
13th November 2008, 02:35 AM
The interesting thing about green turning is that, we all think about the time that it takes to dry, or the time that we all have to wait for finishing but, after start doing it, in no time, the number of pieces to finish in a matter of a couple of years, will become surprisingly hight. Then, is the difficult decision of either stopping turning any other dry blanks or any green timbers, and concentrate on the ones waiting to be finished, some by now, a few years old or older!:o

Is maybe only me but, I've got some some blanks that were green turned, were supposed to be finished a year ago, and I haven't had the chance to touch them, and I do a little bit of turning...!:D yeah, I know, I got to stop extending the work shed and the building of more shelves, huh?:wink:

Is most certainly, a nice chunk of timber, and I'm certain you will make it look proper but for the price you mention it did cost, you better be. You don't want to make any major mistakes or have something bad happening to it, it would hurt, huh?:-

So far, so good...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

rsser
13th November 2008, 12:15 PM
True.

There's 12 rough-outs sitting on the shelves now.

Time to get off the butt.

rsser
15th November 2008, 04:45 PM
Kauri post-natal bulletin:

Have reversed the bag twice and both bag and wood were dripping wet.

No checking, but an interesting line. Compression line?