PDA

View Full Version : EBO Inc lathes

hughie
12th November 2008, 09:12 AM
How about this lathe for bowls. :o How about the in built crane :U

Gil Jones
12th November 2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Hughie.
From the phone number, they are in, or near, Jacksonville Florida, which is about a 4 1/2 hour drive east of us.

TTIT
12th November 2008, 10:52 AM
I always admire those thinking outside the square and that lathe is definitely in that category.
Couldn't help thinking the tailstock would be a PIA though - and I see he doesn't use it himself either - a bit of over-engineering on that point 'cos it would be a drama to install/remove (IMHO) :U

:oWhere do you find the time to find all this stuff Hughie :o

hughie
12th November 2008, 01:44 PM
Joe, you gonna get one? :U might come over to borrow it if'n you do :2tsup:

TTIT well I used have a job researching the net and a old habits die hard :U

Anyway this would not be a hard lathe to copy. If you look at its all made from standard steel sections, RHS 200 or 300mm sq, parallel channel, heavy wall angle iron etc. The winding screws are readily available from any good eng supply outfit and so on.

I have saved the pics will go over them later to see what would be useful to incorporate into my next lathe.

Gil Jones
12th November 2008, 02:05 PM
Hughie, I had the very same thought.
It looks like relatively simple construction (Strong, but not overly complicated), right down to the pillow block bearings. I suspect that the only truly complex part is the inverter drive controller, and that piece is bought as is. I think I would opt for at least 3 hp, 60” long ways, and maybe a deeper footprint. It looks a bit teetery, even if bolted to the floor.
When are we going to get started???……grin.

edit:
I just sent off a request to Ray Peck (at EBO, inc.) for a complete price listing of the lathes and accessories, and will post when I get them.

joe greiner
12th November 2008, 09:38 PM
I probably can't afford one, nor find space in the sliding block puzzle. But only about 3 hours away, it'd be worth the trip just to see it, fondle it, and take a bunch of pics. Geez! Variable swing, variable length, variable speed! What more could you ask for?

Google reports a few other hits for [ebo inc] in other locations besides Jacksonville. USPTO reports no applications (generally > 1 year old for reporting), but 4 patents issued; mostly for aquarium heaters, it seems. Oops! Three of them are for Ebo-Jager in El Segundo California, and the fourth is EBO Group in Ohio. Whatever.

Gil: Next time you're scheduled for Tally, let's arrange a field trip and do some drooling. Heaven help us on the prices.

Joe

Gil Jones
13th November 2008, 05:48 AM
Joe, not sure a JAX field trip would do us any good with these prices, other than the drooling part. Just received an email from Ray Peck (President of EBO) with the lathe and accessory price list (in US dollars). While it is a nice looking lathe, it is a bit out of my price range having just bought the Powermatic 3520B a few months ago.

texx
13th November 2008, 07:47 AM
just looking at those pics and straight away my tight a#*se in me said that would be very easy to build

rsser
13th November 2008, 10:47 AM
Good to see some more lateral thinking in lathe design. Give the Stubbies a run for their money perhaps.

Not sure though how much of an advantage this unit would offer over a VB36 with bed extension/tailstock. ... only avoids the need for a rest post on the floor?

hughie
14th November 2008, 08:07 AM
I suspect the VB36 will have the edge due to the design and construction. Still it will be interesting to read any reviews that turn up.

prozac
21st December 2008, 03:30 PM
I have just read hughie's blog about building a lathe, and it being not too far out of the abilities of many forumites to do. Would be even easier if a few members got together and knocked out 2 or 3. Some members would have greater strengths in certain parts of the construction whilst others might have complimentary strengths for other parts of the build. Interesting looking lathe.

prozac
21st December 2008, 03:53 PM
Oops, just read through hughie's other thread about the lathe build. Some of us might have difficulty achieving that level of quality.

hughie
21st December 2008, 04:11 PM
Prozac not if they read your first post and got it organised. :U :2tsup:

Its my intention to put the lathe plans [ 2 so far ] up on the net in pdf form or some such similar in 2009 along with a comprehensive E-Book manual on how to go about it.