PDA

View Full Version : Little Pressure Pot.

tea lady
12th November 2008, 09:33 AM
Saw these in Kmart marked down to $5. They work like a hand pumped pressure pot. At that price I thought it might be worth experimenting with.:cool: Diameter is only 13-14 cm though. Short pens, or half pens.:hmm: Bottle stoppers? :shrug: I'm going to also try dying wood with it so the dye goes deeper than the surface. Buy one for the wife too perhaps? :rolleyes:

PenTurner
12th November 2008, 03:36 PM
Off to Kmart we go!!:) Amos

NewLondon88
14th November 2008, 06:00 AM
Saw these in Kmart marked down to $5. They work like a hand pumped pressure pot. At that price I thought it might be worth experimenting with.:cool: Diameter is only 13-14 cm though. Short pens, or half pens.:hmm: Bottle stoppers? :shrug: I'm going to also try dying wood with it so the dye goes deeper than the surface. Buy one for the wife too perhaps? :rolleyes:

If you can find it on closeout, there's a unit by Black & Decker that would likely work
better for getting stuff INTO the wood (like dyes) It is some sort of vacuum sealer that
comes with three containers. You put your stuff in it,connect the hose and suck out the
air. The hose fits into a plastic cover with a good seal. I use it for coffee, but I've also used it to soak oils and dyes into wood.

I'd pour the oil/naptha/poly into the container and then put in the blank, turn it on and
watch the bubbles come out. When you release the vacuum, something has to replace
the air that was removed from the wood, so the oil mix gets sucked into the wood.
It will pull enough of a vacuum to crack the container, though.. so don't turn the pump
on four or five times in a row like I did.

I haven't found any replacement containers yet. They must be around, just haven't
spent any time looking. I think I paid $9.95 on sale, so I went and got another one. One
for home/food and one for the shop.

I think the largest container is about 8" across and the smallest is around 5 or 6"