PDA

View Full Version : CD Condition

clubbyr8
12th November 2008, 10:09 AM
Has anyone had any issues with the condition of their CD's?

I have over 800 CD's and as my new Pioneer receiver is capable of streaming files over a network I decided to rip all my CD's to a network drive. I like quality over lossy compression so I decided to rip them to the FLAC format.

What I've noticed is that a lot of my CD's condition has seriously deteriorated. As if they are rotting :((:((. I have always looked after them. They've always been in a cabinet and always in their cases. Some of my CD's are over 20 years old.

Anyone had similar problems?

Terry B
12th November 2008, 10:25 AM
I certainly have a few CD's that have mould on them and wont play. They were bought in ~1990 in the UK.
Not sure what the longevity of the CD is.

Master Splinter
12th November 2008, 07:09 PM
If it's a surface condition, I've had good luck recovering CDs with a cotton buff on the grinder and multishine (the blue coloured stick) - taken out quite a few child assisted surface modifications.

The 'original' lifetime of the CD was said to be 100 years +. But they said they were indestructible, too.

Just pop into your local CD shop and see if they will do an exchange (after all, the music industry likes to think it isn't selling a physical product, but a licence to listen...so since you have already paid your licence, you just need replacement media!)

wheelinround
13th November 2008, 08:47 AM
life expectancy of CD's was dropped to 10 years a while ago :(( this is for Pre recorded CD's
Scratch the surface of the painted side and kiss the CD good bye :~

Recorded CD's depending on where they are manufactured can last even less painted surfaces that get hot and stick to things like plastic sleaves, stuffed when paint comes off