PDA

View Full Version : Template Tom Does it again

Jerryj
13th November 2008, 12:17 AM
I just like to say a big Thank you to Tom for the course he ran today down at the Perth woodwork school. I enjoyed the course very much and was able to learn what many things you can make with your router. Once you have your jigs and templates its easy to reproduce the same item again and again. Learnt many things especially on how to construct jigs. I recommend for anyone to go on the course.

Cheers Jerry

martink
13th November 2008, 12:23 AM
I just like to say a big Thank you to Tom for the course he ran today down at the Perth woodwork school. I enjoyed the course very much and was able to learn what many things you can make with your router. Once you have your jigs and templates its easy to reproduce the same item again and again. Learnt many things especially on how to construct jigs. I recommend for anyone to go on the course.

Cheers Jerry

Shame I live in Sydney:(

John Saxton
21st November 2008, 10:41 PM
I have heard Tom say many times over the years that you're only limited by your imagination when it comes to opening up the range of possibilities of the router and employing templates.

To not consider using your router to its full potential is doing yourself and your capabilities a disservice.

The excitement of not only designing a template to suit a project, but to see that project to fruition is tantamount to self satisfaction beyond belief.

Tom's unselfish mentoring in this craft wakes the rest of us mere mortals to what can be achieved by the thought process's we were born with.

Cheers:)

Template Tom
25th November 2008, 07:17 PM
I have heard Tom say many times over the years that you're only limited by your imagination when it comes to opening up the range of possibilities of the router and employing templates.

To not consider using your router to its full potential is doing yourself and your capabilities a disservice.

The excitement of not only designing a template to suit a project, but to see that project to fruition is tantamount to self satisfaction beyond belief.

Tom's unselfish mentoring in this craft wakes the rest of us mere mortals to what can be achieved by the thought process's we were born with.

John
I am in the final stages of putting together my CD-ROM in DVD form and I need your expert advice. So if you will forward me your snail address I will post a copy (2) of the DVD for yor comments.
Tom

Woodlee
26th November 2008, 08:57 PM
Good to hear Tom , Please in form the forum when you start marketing them.

Kev.

Template Tom
28th November 2008, 06:49 PM
Good to hear Tom , Please in form the forum when you start marketing them.

Kev.

Hi Kev

It is quite some time since I posted "The introduction to the use of template guides" as a PDF file outlining how to rout a picture frame from solid material. It was and still is only an introductions as there are many more projects that can be achieved with the use of the guides. This file was available free to anyone who may wish to use it.
I have been advised by a number of routing enthusiasts that it would have been better if there was some action so I purchased a camcorder and a number of programs for the computer and set out to produce my CD-ROM as a DVD. It has been a lot of work and I am at the finnishing stages all I have to do is add each topic onto one or two DVDs.
I have also produced the introduction to the use of the guides on DVD but unfortunately I am unable to set it up as a free publication. Should you be interested please contact me and I will have some information on the cost for you.
Tom

John Saxton
4th December 2008, 09:32 PM
John
I am in the final stages of putting together my CD-ROM in DVD form and I need your expert advice. So if you will forward me your snail address I will post a copy (2) of the DVD for yor comments.
Tom

Tom,received the DVD today with thanks ...will look at it hopefully tonight.

Template Tom
5th December 2008, 09:09 PM
It has been some time since I began making my chairs and I am pleased to announce that they were completed today all eight chairs and all 'Carvers'. What I have to report on the construction is that at least 90% of the processes were completed with the router in the Plunge mode with the aid of template guides and constructing my own Jigs and Templates. I even applied the upholstery which was another first for me.

I read a great deal of postings to the forum on how the router should be inserted under the table such as the Triton table, and also how others are constructing their own router table. I would just like to say that there is more that can be achieved with the router in the hand held position and also with the aid of the template guides. (The eight chairs is an example)

There was some interest in my article I had written on the 'Introduction to the use of the template guides' well at least I sent out a large number to those requesting the information. I have not had a great response to the article so I wonder if those who received it actually tried it out. Maybe the Rectangular frame was not interesting enough to give them a go. Or maybe I did not explain it clearly enough in the article. (I would still like to hear from you on the matter). To this end I have produced a DVD of the same material. This can be made available to those who would email me and I can provide some information on the DVD and also the two other DVDs I have produced, I had released a number of CD-ROMs in the past and this is the same material in DVD format.

Superbunny
5th December 2008, 09:32 PM
Template Tom
I had no idea that you could do so much with a router and templates. The chairs are great and I thought it could not be done with a router. Thanks for opening my eyes to this world of routing I didn't know existed. I look forward to the DVD's when released.:D:D
SB

Template Tom
6th December 2008, 10:39 AM
Template Tom
I had no idea that you could do so much with a router and templates. The chairs are great and I thought it could not be done with a router. Thanks for opening my eyes to this world of routing I didn't know existed. I look forward to the DVD's when released.:D:D
SB

I can only reply, you will surprise yourself more if only you take up the challenge and learn how the template guides are used.

Send me an email for information on the DVDs if you wish to proceed to learn new routing techniques. I have read somewhere else that "90% of all routing processes can be achieved with the use of the router table". I have responded to the comments as I would say a great deal can be certainly be produced with the router in the table mode but many processes can be achieved with greater safety awareness if the router is used in the plunge mode. How could I have taught people with vision impairment how to use the router without introducing new routing techniques?

Tom

John Saxton
8th December 2008, 09:41 PM
"Template Tom Does it again" was the title to the original posting that started this thread off and he certainly has after viewing his DVD on template routing.

This man continues to inspire, with his considerate forethought in the application of employing templates in expanding the use of the router to not only create artistic design but also to apply templates to woodworking with a router that almost beggars belief.

This DVD is a necessary tool to all of us that have a router and wish to use it with thought to potentially expand our capabilities and increase your comfort zone with the router.

Easily followed with clear explanation of templates that pursue across the woodworking medium, whether it is thru embellishment of cabinetry or of those small decorative items that do catch the eye in any household.

This if you already have Tom's previous CD's, add an intelligent approach to router craftsmanship and I thank Tom for his generosity in allowing me a not only a view of this DVD but also of his past and informative approach to routing with templates ...to open my mind.

Thank-you Tom

Cheers

Johncs
10th December 2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Kev

It is quite some time since I posted "The introduction to the use of template guides" as a PDF file outlining how to rout a picture frame from solid material. It was and still is only an introductions as there are many more projects that can be achieved with the use of the guides. This file was available free to anyone who may wish to use it.
I have been advised by a number of routing enthusiasts that it would have been better if there was some action so I purchased a camcorder and a number of programs for the computer and set out to produce my CD-ROM as a DVD. It has been a lot of work and I am at the finnishing stages all I have to do is add each topic onto one or two DVDs.
I have also produced the introduction to the use of the guides on DVD but unfortunately I am unable to set it up as a free publication. Should you be interested please contact me and I will have some information on the cost for you.
Tom

Tom
Take a look at some videos on youtube. There you will learn how to (and how not to, if you think about them) make instructional videos. Some of my favourites are thewoodwhisperer (he also writes for one of the US magazines), jdn6863, Joe Schmidt at the homeremodelworkshop.

Joe (and family) videos are about two minutes long. He outlines the problem, identifies the tools, goes through the procedure and then summarises.

I feel it's important to address the audience (camera) at the beginning, and Joe usually does that when outlining the problem.

Others, jdn6863 included neglect this and he also doesn't prepare well. The result is his videos aren't any where near as good as they could be with just a little more care.