PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one

robyn2839
13th November 2008, 10:09 AM
i got thinking this morning after barking my arm on the tool rest that was pushed to the right of the lathe out of the way thus receiving my newest scar,does anyone else do this ,or is it just me ?.i now have about forty scars from 10ml to 50 ml long on my right arm,most were from the toolrest and some from the live centre,so after going to round off the corners of the toolrest for the last three years i finally done it ,am keen to hear from others............bob

rsser
13th November 2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, hit your funny bone on it and it's no laughing matter.

I've learned to take the rest out of the banjo and put it away when sanding etc.

RETIRED
13th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Only once! :DI take both out now.

OGYT
13th November 2008, 11:02 AM
Me too. Take the rest out of the 'banjo' when sanding. Some experience pays off. :D

Chipman
13th November 2008, 11:45 AM
Same as ... if I am not using the rest or tail stock I take them out. You almost have to on a midi lathe anyway if you are turning a bowl.

But then there was the matter of a small block of wood that flew out of the jaws and hit me right between the eyes.... no stitches they used super glue to hold it together! As they say it missed my Eye by "that much"!!!!!!!!!

Now I always use my face shield

Also watch out for chuck jaws and trying to sand "square turnings" best thing is to use sacrificial strips... safer and stops the edges splintering/chipping out. Sometimes I will run tape over the jaws if I HAVE to get close to them.

Cheers,

Chipman

Gil Jones
13th November 2008, 12:35 PM
Nah, yer not alone. How about puncturing the back of yer arm or elbow on the sharp point of the live-center which is still in the tailstock quill. Hurts.:)

rsser
13th November 2008, 01:23 PM
Blood helps clean the tip though :-{

Ed Reiss
13th November 2008, 01:46 PM
Now what kind of turner would you be if you didn't have any battle scars?!:o

Manuka Jock
13th November 2008, 02:45 PM
nasty little buggas those tailstocks eh :D

welcome to the club :2tsup:

DavidG
13th November 2008, 02:50 PM
nasty little buggas those tailstocks eh

:tears: :bandaid:

Robomanic
13th November 2008, 07:05 PM
Recently put a good scratch in my arm with the new and very sharp live center point. I do move everything out of the way out of habit, sadly this time just not quite far enough...

robyn2839
13th November 2008, 07:17 PM
with the blood pressure tabs i take ,bash the live centre or toolrest i bleed like a stuck pig for hours,whats good on the chuck is those sweatbands that tennis players put around their wrists works like a charm ,bashed my arm again this afternoon,much better now i rounded the edge off only took a bit of skin off................bob

Manuka Jock
13th November 2008, 08:06 PM
with the blood pressure tabs i take ,bash the live centre or toolrest i bleed like a stuck pig for hours,whats good on the chuck is those sweatbands that tennis players put around their wrists works like a charm ,bashed my arm again this afternoon,much better now i rounded the edge off only took a bit of skin off................bob
Nifty idea , what colours do they come in ? :U

BobL
13th November 2008, 08:13 PM
Nifty idea , what colours do they come in ? :U

I prefer red then you can't see the blood!

rsser
13th November 2008, 08:53 PM
Bob, you need to ask your doc for low blood pressure pills, not high ;-}

scooter
13th November 2008, 09:00 PM
Gday

I turned up a little cup type doovah out of pine that is a neat fit over the live centre, after jabbing the right elbow a few times.

Does the trick. :)

Cheers......................Sean

thefixer
13th November 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm also on blood pressure pills amongst others.( bleeding is such a long process these days) I never leave the live centre in the tailstock when end hollowing and always move the toolrest when sanding. Once bitten, twice shy.

Cheers
Shorty

robyn2839
13th November 2008, 10:47 PM
i am sorry for exaggerating ,whilst finishing the end half of a rum bottle tonight i decided to count my scars on the offending arm, only 37 ,i thought it was much worse than that....bob

robyn2839
13th November 2008, 11:05 PM
Gday

I turned up a little cup type doovah out of pine that is a neat fit over the live centre, after jabbing the right elbow a few times.

Does the trick. :)

Cheers......................Sean now thats a great idea i will make one of those....bob