PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: English Ash, Melbourne

rsser
13th November 2008, 11:47 AM
Bowl blank size, dry or green. Turning spindle blank size also of interest (say up to 4x4).

Can swap for similar in Norfolk Pine or Silky Oak.

quercus
24th November 2008, 05:33 PM
Desert ash I have plenty of bits and pieces of. I think this is probably what you are thinking of?
Most of it is in firewood size chunks.

I also cut plenty of these down from time to time, as they are a bushland weed around Melbourne. Groggy got the last batch. I will have a sniff around the pile.

Problem is, if it is out in the weather, it seems to stain, so some of what I have may not be suitable.

rsser
24th November 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks Quercus. Appreciate your responding.

Umm, it was English Ash I was wanting ... cream colour, little diff between sapwood and heartwood, often found in parks and gardens. Only scored one load locally so far and there was no bluestain - and I didn't take any care with it. Different species?

quercus
24th November 2008, 05:58 PM
98 % sure it is the same species. Fraxinus angustifolia is the botanical name and is generally found in parks and as street trees. It drops a lot of seed, and hence appears in creeks , as the seeds get washed away.

As you say, white wood all the way through. It has a bunch of common names - desert ash, english ash, european ash.

rsser
24th November 2008, 06:03 PM
Excellent.

PM sent.