PDA

View Full Version : Thumbsucker's first bowl

rsser
13th November 2008, 08:47 PM
Pretty fast work .. Silky Oak felled and cut into half-logs; roughed out at 's turn-on.

Then dried over a globe by TS.

Cracks filled with CA and wood-dust.

We finish turned it today .. most of it done by the man himself.

Shaped the outside with a 3/8" HT Superflute using pull cuts; hollowed the inside with a Proforme slighty-bent shaft and a Sorby multi-tool tear-drop scraper.

Lots of CA and dust fill on the way. As we worked it finished drying in front of us.

TS showed excellent tool handling.

Finished with n/c sanding sealer, EEE, and ubeaut Trad Wax.

The colour balance of the result in the pics is not good; misses the pink stippling on the rim and the stripes in the bowl.

weisyboy
13th November 2008, 08:56 PM
looks good to me:2tsup:

tea lady
13th November 2008, 10:04 PM
:2tsup: I'm having a go at mine tomorrow.:cool:

thumbsucker
13th November 2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks to Ern for having me over today, it was a great learning experience, using a variety of tools and tool rests. I definitely prefer bowl turning to spindle work. The bowl has come up very nicely and has stayed remarkable stable considering when it was cut down. I am more then happy with my first attempt turning a bowl and only my forth attempt at turning in general.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th November 2008, 11:28 PM
I definitely prefer bowl turning to spindle work.

And another turns to the darkside. :rolleyes:

TTIT
13th November 2008, 11:29 PM
Way to go Helmut :2tsup: - so is there a lathe planned for the little room out the back now??:;:U

thumbsucker
13th November 2008, 11:34 PM
I have no space to even swing a plane let alone a lathe. I will be moving from my current place in 30 days and leaving my laundry workshop behind. It is small but served me well.

I will see what the new place offers.

I do very much like the Stubby lathe Ern has. One of the nicer machines i have used. However at $6000 its a little beyond my price range. :C

hughie
14th November 2008, 08:14 AM
All in all a darn fine effort. :2tsup: I like the lip treatment, nice definition.

As to lathes look around at the second market.

Manuka Jock
14th November 2008, 08:34 AM
I have no space to even swing a plane let alone a lathe. I will be moving from my current place in 30 days and leaving my laundry workshop behind. It is small but served me well.

I will see what the new place offers.

I do very much like the Stubby lathe Ern has. One of the nicer machines i have used. However at $6000 its a little beyond my price range. :C

Ah well , if 6 grand is only a little out of reach , go for the one that is within your grasp ,
a DVR XP :D

Grand bowl there TS , shape , balance , finish , a beautiful work , cheers

Rum Pig
14th November 2008, 09:17 AM
Nice bowl TS I can see that one becoming a family air-loom:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

As for the lathe just buy the best you can afford.

rsser
14th November 2008, 11:25 AM
Just a few comments about the drying mentioned in another thread and how we responded to its consequences.

Helmut wanted to speed the drying at the rough-out stage and did so with the help of a light globe ... as he posted, the bowl developed some checks in the bottom outside which he filled with sanding dust and CA.

As we worked it yesterday it was clear that the bottom was dry but the top was still a little damp. The bottom grain had also opened up a lot and felt 'brittle' which I'd attribute to the drying process.

We'd not had time to leave a spigot inside at the rough-out stage so had to remount in the bottom recess. It mounted surprisingly true so we were able to get a spigot and then reverse the bowl, true up the recess and form a foot. At this stage the checks' fill got turned away and a deal of refilling was needed.

We refined the form, with Helmut deciding at this stage that instead of going with the original idea of a decreasing radius curve from foot to rim, an extended Ogee was the goal, and that was done.

He was doing all the toolwork btw and as I said it was excellent, using slicing pull cuts on the wing of the bowl gouge.

To get a bit more stretch in the Ogee we reduced the foot diameter. Ideally we would have done more but the filled checks gave cause for caution. As a result, the line had more 'belly' near the foot than was preferable but prob a necessary compromise. Helmut had a reason not to take risks with this piece.

We also looked at undercutting the rim. With a sound piece of wood or with the original form it would have worked and looked great. But again, with this piece it was a risk as in cleaning out the epoxy from the bowl inside old checking was evident (and as we worked new stuff emerged) and there remained the threat of drying-during-the-working throwing the rim out of true. (The Thompson bowl gouge made light work of the epoxy btw).

We only sanded to 240 - 320 as time was running out.

The n/c sanding sealer was chosen as it does minimal darkening, some grain filling, and works with damp timber. Two coats, knocked back with 0000 steel wool. The EEE did an excellent job of polishing the resulting surface. Then a couple of coats of Trad wax.

Thinking about it, the ubeaut Waxstik could also have been a good choice for the finishing with nothing else. Designed for open grain timbers like Oak and Elm, I've had terrific results with it on English Elm.

Ed Reiss
14th November 2008, 01:01 PM
I am more then happy with my first attempt turning a bowl and only my forth attempt at turning in general.

You should be...damn fine work!:2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2008, 08:00 PM
Thumbsucker
are you allowed to use anything connected to electricity :o I thought you were a darksider through and through.

good effort bytheway

OGYT
15th November 2008, 10:17 AM
Nice Bowl! Welcome to the abyss! Nice shape and finish too!
Can one attach a face plate to a Ute Wheel? It turns.... Never mind. :)