PDA

View Full Version : toys for xmas

Garell
15th November 2008, 01:17 PM
Hi there people

Well xmas in coming and although we have already gone shopping for the 4 kids, I have allways made them a toy of some kind. I have a 12 year old girl, an 8 year old girl, and twin 3yr old boy's. The boy's are easy. The girls i'm stuck on. The eldist is into her music and drawing and the like. The other well, i just cant tell she tries allsorts of things.

Is there any sugestions that you may be able to help with. I'm stuck on what types of things to make girls. I'm a bloke, so hey, boys are easy. Girls for me arnt.

Any way lookforward to replies.

Regards Jamie

Chipman
15th November 2008, 01:40 PM
Hi there people

Well xmas in coming and although we have already gone shopping for the 4 kids, I have allways made them a toy of some kind. I have a 12 year old girl, an 8 year old girl, and twin 3yr old boy's. The boy's are easy. The girls i'm stuck on. The eldist is into her music and drawing and the like. The other well, i just cant tell she tries allsorts of things.

Is there any sugestions that you may be able to help with. I'm stuck on what types of things to make girls. I'm a bloke, so hey, boys are easy. Girls for me arnt.

Any way lookforward to replies.

Regards Jamie

Hi Jamie,

If your girls are into soft toys (most are) eg Teddy Bears then why not make teddy bear furniture....rocking chair....swing......see-saw.....bed or rocking cradle.....park bench..... table and chairs...... lounge furniture.... etc

or one I haven't made yet but must do is a love seat (two chairs back to back and side to side)

If you do a search on these forums, you should find some pictures of some of my things. (http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=74603)

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
19th November 2008, 07:51 PM
Now I know everyone's going to say I'm just trying to flog my musicboxes..... but really... I've watched kids... hey grown ups too..... and yes... even little boys .... play with them and there's something about them that's just fun... the old fashioned kind. You don't have to get complicated , just a simple box , add a movement .... add a scrolled in or glued on name.... perfect little heirloom.
This would go for either age..... but you could go a step further and make a jewelry box.... maybe in the shape of a musical note? Or have a treble cleff turning on top of a box. Even without music any type of little storage box is great for girls.

I love Jamies furniture idea..... I'd still love that for my various bears...

The older one might like a turned mirror? I'm sure she's into cosmetics already, or a pen/pencil/brush holder for her drawing? Again.. personlize with her name on it.

Anything with her name on would also work for the younger one. Does she have a fav sport? Something to hold the sporting equipment would work....

One of the things I keep telling people here is that puzzles made from kids drawings make wonderful gifts and it's not hard to do.

CD/DVD storage..... wooden jewelry , bookshelves ..... frames for fav pictures, mirrors for on the wall..... oh there are sooooooo many things.....

Juvy

Garell
20th November 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks gents for your replies.

I came up with some idears.

The eldist, I thought of a wooden game similar to the one that COL made exept I was going to put a labyrinth in the inside so you drop a ball in and move the block around untill it fall's out the bottom. If you get my drift.

The youngest daughter, I though of a balancing board that she can play outside with, or inside.

The boy's, I was going to add to there Thomas's the tankengine train track or make a road of similar type.

Thanks for you sugestions. The biggest problem is when they have most things already that have been colected over birthday's.

They both have a jewelry box, one has a CD rack, a desk, and so on all that I have made them. Any way I will atempt these idear's and post the results.

Regards Jamie

keju
20th November 2008, 02:35 PM
sounds like you've got it all figured out.
Just remember that anytime you're stumped for an idea.... anything simple is good ... just personalize it..... add a name somewhere..... or somethign to do with their hobbies.

Juvy