PDA

View Full Version : What is this for ??? (toolrest)

disperse
15th November 2008, 04:16 PM
This came with the lathe, and I just can't work out what it's for. It fits into the tool rest holders. And the cone part is bearing mounted and rotates..ANY IDEA'S ??

Regards
Troy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th November 2008, 04:18 PM
I wonder if it's someone's idea for a sphere cutter?

rsser
15th November 2008, 04:42 PM
Curious.

Hole right through? Maybe for holding something round at one end while drilling a hole in it ....

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2008, 04:44 PM
Curious.

Hole right through? Maybe for holding something round at one end while drilling a hole in it ....

I was thinking the same thing :think:, whatever it is, it is home made by the looks of it :shrug:

Grumpy John
15th November 2008, 04:48 PM
Curious.

My thoughts too Ern, perhaps for supporting a long pepper mill or lamp spindle whilst drilling. I notice a nease gripple for lubrication also.

Tim the Timber Turner
15th November 2008, 05:47 PM
Could be used for longhole drilling of lamps on a lathe without a hollow tailstock:?

RETIRED
15th November 2008, 05:50 PM
Could be used for longhole drilling of lamps on a lathe without a hollow tailstock:?I agree.

Jim Carroll
15th November 2008, 05:56 PM
:wts:

Tim the Timber Turner
15th November 2008, 06:11 PM
Both Jim and agree with me? Now that's scary.

RETIRED
15th November 2008, 07:40 PM
Both Jim and agree with me? Now that's scary.Be afraid, very afraid.:D

Tim the Timber Turner
15th November 2008, 08:16 PM
Be afraid, very afraid.:D

Naa .

You don't scare me

I know you are just a big cuddly softie.

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2008, 08:21 PM
I've no idea and tend to agree with the brains trust above, but the cup/funnel end has me intrigued. Is it some sort of vacuum attachment?

Tim the Timber Turner
15th November 2008, 09:06 PM
I've no idea and tend to agree with the brains trust above, but the cup/funnel end has me intrigued. Is it some sort of vacuum attachment?

The cone will self centre the round (or square) end of a spindle

Then when the drill is passed through the hole it will be centred in the end of the spindle.

The hole is drilled half way, the spindle is then reversed and drilled from the other end, then, if you are lucky the holes line up.

That's the theory.

Cheers

Tim:wink::wink:

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2008, 09:09 PM
:doh:
bleedin obvious now

joe greiner
15th November 2008, 11:20 PM
Digesting everything, it's a one-wheel self-centering steady rest, or words to that effect, and a very fine idea. A hollow tailstock would facilitate alignment of a long stationary drill bit; a powered drill wouldn't need the rotational capability. A drill chuck in the tailstock would function the same way, but for shorter bits.

As I said, a very fine idea, begging to be put on the bucket list. Not just for lamps, though: tool handles immediately come to mind too.

Thanks for posting it, Troy.:2tsup:

Joe

Groggy
15th November 2008, 11:27 PM
That's the piece you talk into, there should be another one to hold to your ear.

(let's see how many of the kiddies understand that one :p )

rsser
16th November 2008, 06:04 AM
Not sure about the turning reversal part of the theory though; one end's gotta have a tenon don't you think?

Though I guess if it was wide enough you could round the shoulder.

Tim the Timber Turner
16th November 2008, 11:00 AM
Not sure about the turning reversal part of the theory though; one end's gotta have a tenon don't you think?

Though I guess if it was wide enough you could round the shoulder.

I'd drill the hole right through the centre of the tenon.

Tim

Ed Reiss
16th November 2008, 01:30 PM
That's the piece you talk into, there should be another one to hold to your ear.

(let's see how many of the kiddies understand that one :p )

Eh...speak up Sonny, can't hear you!:no::doh:

Tim the Timber Turner
16th November 2008, 02:20 PM
Eh...speak up Sonny, can't hear you!:no::doh:

Ed

I think he said too much wood dust makes you deaf.

It was too much something makes you deaf, I didn't quite hear what he said. :?

Cheers

Tim

rsser
16th November 2008, 03:14 PM
Put a fresh battery in ;-}

btw, for those encountering age-related hearing loss, have a read of David Lodge's new novel, Deaf Sentence. Talk about laugh and cry.

disperse
17th November 2008, 10:25 PM
I managed to find and email the foundry that made this lathe.

And the answer is :This attachment was meant to hold the end of a slender work piece as an external centre so you could then put a chuck in the tail stock and drill a hole in the end of the work piece, e.g. a lamp stand. I think these lathes were first made about 40 years ago and were designed by a local professional woodturner possibly by the name of Wally Fitzpatrick but I am not totally sure of this. Quite a number of them were sold throughout Queensland and northern New South Wales. We stopped manufacturing them about 10 -12 years ago due to falling sales caused by cheap imports. They were considered a good sturdy basic lathe in their time. Les Christensen.

I'm not so sure on the lathe though... I just calculated the 4 speeds

390rpm
1008rpm
2057rpm
5348rpm Time to buy some new gear pullies... As the bark tends to let go at 5300

Calm
17th November 2008, 10:41 PM
.......................I'm not so sure on the lathe though... I just calculated the 4 speeds

390rpm
1008rpm
2057rpm
5348rpm Time to buy some new gear pullies... As the bark tends to let go at 5300

If the original motor has been changed it may have been made with a 720 or 1440 motor not a 1440 or 2880 rpm motor. If this was the case then the speeds would be half i think??:2tsup:

Good luck happy turning and reserve the "top gear" for pens :D:D

Ed Reiss
18th November 2008, 02:29 AM
Put a fresh battery in ;-}

btw, for those encountering age-related hearing loss, have a read of David Lodge's new novel, Deaf Sentence. Talk about laugh and cry.

:jacked:

Seems that Desmond leads quite an "exciting" life!:doh::C

Grumpy John
18th November 2008, 08:13 AM
..........390rpm
1008rpm
2057rpm

5384rpm, 's just getting started at that speed :D:D:D.

hughie
18th November 2008, 09:31 AM
:U yep now its obvious, not a bad idea and real easy to make. :2tsup:

rsser
18th November 2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, be a bit of whip on longer pieces though. It's a pretty open cone. But standard lamps are made in sections no?

The Nova Live Centre system has a cone btw (but its not hollow).

Ed, yep, love Desmond ;-}