PDA

View Full Version : That Redgum Bowl Turned at 's

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2008, 10:16 PM
Thought I'd update you lot with some pics of how the Redgum bowl that I turned at 's is looking.

Hasn't split or cracked anywhere but has moved a bit :roll:

88777 88778 88779 88780

Waldo
15th November 2008, 10:33 PM
Me likes. :2tsup:

Robomanic
15th November 2008, 10:42 PM
Very nice, I like it. The piece was pretty dry though yeah? Starting to think there realy is no escape from movement on redgum pieces - doesn't seem to matter how long it is down for.

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2008, 10:52 PM
It looked dry because it had been sitting around for a while but I'd say it would been at around 20-25% maybe, never did check it, so movement wasn't a surprise, would have been surprised if it hadn't moved.

Have a bigger one that I did from a log that has been done for years and it's dry as a bone and it hasn't moved at all really in the 5 yrs since I did. Think I've got a pic of it somewhere here, I'll go and have a look.

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2008, 11:02 PM
Here we go, found it :2tsup:

[/URL][URL="http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85439&d=1223548059"]http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85439&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1223548059 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85439&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1223548059)

This pic was taken some 3 or 4 yrs after it was turned and as you can see, it hasn't moved at all.

Robomanic
15th November 2008, 11:19 PM
Fair enough - I might have to invest in a meter

Chipman
15th November 2008, 11:25 PM
That bowl looks good DJ:2tsup:

I bought a coolabah turning blank at the wood show... turned it but I think it was still a bit green or damp. Got a beautiful finish with shellawax cream (thanks for the demo on your bowl) but after a couple of days, it was no longer smooth, the surface had gone uneven or ripply if you know what I mean. Still looks good though. I may remount it in a jamb chuck in a few months time and redo it but if Mrs Chipman likes it as it is I am sure not going to change it!

Cheers,

Chipman

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2008, 11:30 PM
the surface had gone uneven or ripply if you know what I mean.

Know exactly what you mean :;, the bowl above is exactly the same :roll:

Robomanic
15th November 2008, 11:59 PM
Yep exact same thing happened to a RG platter I did couple of months back - should have suspected moisture when the scrapings were just a bit too fluffy... At the time I thought it might have been because I raised the grain too much when sanding but must have just been moisture.

Ed Reiss
16th November 2008, 12:01 AM
Lookin' good!!:2tsup:

robutacion
16th November 2008, 02:15 AM
Thought I'd update you lot with some pics of how the Redgum bowl that I turned at 's is looking.

Hasn't split or cracked anywhere but has moved a bit :roll:

88777 88778 88779 88780

Hi DJ's Timber,

I've got no intention to high-jack your thread, and I apologise if anyone things that I am. My intentions are to show some pieces that I've done with one particular large log of red gum, that the wind broke down over a year ago, actually inside of my storage paddock. There are 5 different varieties of gums growing as a wind breaker, all around the back fences. Anyway, I cut these logs lengths to match its width and let them under cover for about 3 months, after that I decided to split/rip them in half, marked and cut them into round blanks. I had enough of this large log for 8 bowl blanks, and I end-up doing the some to another 20 or so I cut from other large branches of those gums in my storage paddock.

I turned green all these 28 bowls, gave them 2 coats of the Fungishield stabiliser, and put away to dry. I was quite impressed with the way and speed these rough turned red gum blanks were drying, with also little movement on them only after 3 months, so I decided to finish some of them and see what would happen!. I end-up finishing 6 out of the 8 blanks from this particular tree and about 6 from the other trees next to it.

I could see that all repairs done before I coated them with the stabiliser, were very stable and the timber was behaving extremely well during the finishing process. Using different products (Organoil, sealer, Scandinavian oil, old Baltic stain and Floorseal) they all come out very nice and not showing any sign of stress. 12 months later, every one of the bowls I made out of that log, didn't crack or move at all, while some of the other bowls finished with the other gums next to it, did no do so well.

This is to show that gum species, like any other timber species, all behave differently, and the majority of cases, have nothing to do with what we do (irregardless), but the tree itself, and the way it develops in the conditions available to it.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Mobil Man
16th November 2008, 02:41 AM
RBTCO--- where did you get the designs you use on those, like the next to last pic.at the bottom? Nice looking bowls there.

rsser
16th November 2008, 06:47 AM
Shannon, redgum moves, esp if it's been blocked down recently. It's the exception that doesn't.

One thing you can try - even with a bone dry lump - is to rough it as if it were green and let it sit for a few days before finishing it.

Chipman
16th November 2008, 08:24 AM
The piece of timber I am talking about has kept its overall shape really well....it is just the surface texture that has changed...from smooth to ripples.... guess that is because it is

a) a burl

b) still a bit damp

Anyway will bring it along to the next gathering at DJ's next month.

Cheers,
Chipman

rsser
16th November 2008, 08:50 AM
RBTCO, maybe the colour balance on the digicam doesn't help but those pieces don't look like any redgum I've turned.

DJ’s Timber
16th November 2008, 10:42 AM
RBTCO, maybe the colour balance on the digicam doesn't help but those pieces don't look like any redgum I've turned.

Agree too, looks more like Yellow Gum or even maybe Sugar Gum, Sugar Gum is used extensively for wind breaks so could be this

dai sensei
16th November 2008, 12:04 PM
Glad to see the bowl, even if it has moved a bit, still looks great.

I also note those great looking pen blanks beside it :rolleyes::D

Shannon, redgum moves, esp if it's been blocked down recently. It's the exception that doesn't.

One thing you can try - even with a bone dry lump - is to rough it as if it were green and let it sit for a few days before finishing it.

:iagree:

I also find red-gum absorbes finishes over time, especially at the end grain, hence why I tend to double polish them with at least 2-3 weeks in between.

DJ’s Timber
16th November 2008, 01:05 PM
I also note those great looking pen blanks beside it :rolleyes::D

Pen Blanks :o, what blanks, oh those ones, nuh :no: those ones are rubbish :q :U

rsser
16th November 2008, 02:54 PM
I also find red-gum absorbes finishes over time, especially at the end grain, hence why I tend to double polish them with at least 2-3 weeks in between.

Useful tip ... I'd given up using Shellawax liquid on the stuff as it never buffed up to much of a shine.