PDA

View Full Version : Article on sharpening blades

derekcohen
13th April 2004, 02:16 AM
Here is a link to a really interesting and useful article on sharpening blades.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/overview.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

bob w
14th April 2004, 01:04 AM
Is this the method you use?
As I stated in a previous thread I was taught to use an oil stone many years ago and old habits die hard.
The information on that site is thought provoking and prompts me to ask for more info from anyone that uses abrasive paper.
a) What is the advantage of the back bevel (we were always told to keep the tool flat when when working on the back to deburr the edge)
b) Is this method suitable for chisels as well as plane irons, and if so are there any jigs available to buy or make?
c) Does this method give a better edge or is it only more convenient? (replacing abrasive paper is easier than dressing and caring for an oilstone)
I must be old fashioned and have failed to keep up but until I joined in this forum I had not heard of using abrasive paper to sharpen any tools.
I look forward to any advice anyone has to offer.

Regards Bob W:D

derekcohen
14th April 2004, 04:20 AM
Bob

No, I wouldn't say that this is my method. However we have frequent rowdy discussions on this Forum about sharpening techniques and the various opinions make for good reading and learning. I would willingly move to a new method if it proved better than my existing one. I have posted this information because I know it will be of interest to many here.

See the following link for a recent discussion on sharpening.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7885

Regards from Perth

Derek

Barry_White
14th April 2004, 05:31 PM
I'm like you Bob, I learnt to sharpen planes and chisels with a grinder and an oil stone. When the hollow is gone from the ground angle I consider it is time to regrind the chisel or plane iron.

I reckon that is an exercise in futility and wont make a hell of a difference when the iron gets dull just retouch it on the oilstone and you are away planing and chiseling in less than a minute.