PDA

View Full Version : Deep Hollowing Tools

Steve Walkom
22nd March 2000, 01:06 PM
I'd like to get anyone's opinions on the various hollowing tools that are on the market. I saw the Woodcut tool demonstrated at the Sydney WWW show on the weekend and then was able to use a previous version of it (the DAHT) and also the Stewart system tool at a friends place. The Woodcut impressed me with its ability to avoid dig-ins/catches. The Stewart system, though, would probably give a better finish as it seems to be a modified scraper. Do any of you have preferences/opinions regarding these type of tools? Are there any web sites/publications which may give me more of an insight as to which of these type of tools would best suit me best? I know there are other brands around. Which do you personnally recommend?

Thanks.

Steve

ubeaut
23rd March 2000, 02:41 PM
G'day Steve

Don't want to sound like a smart but the light bulb has gone on and you are still in the dark. The Stewart System as you said is a scraper. Whilst the Woodcut is a cutting tool. You have answered your own question as to which will give the best finish.

A clean cut finish is always better than a scraped finish. I am sure there are those who might argue this point, but the only way to find out for yourself is to try both a cutting tool and a scraping tool side by side on a few pieces of timber. If you know how to use a cutting tool the scraper will always lose out.

However the scraping system will always win out if you are working on thin walled hollow vessels with a small entry point in the top. If you can afford it there is only one sure fired way to go.

BUY THEM BOTH!!!

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Cheers
Neil

Brett Hammond
13th April 2000, 10:12 PM
I have had the opportunity to use both the Woodcut and the Stewart System. I have found the Woodcut hard to use. The depth of cut varies from timber to timber....I have broken 2 cutters and have given up trying to master this tool.

After 2 years of dejection using the Woodcut I thought I would see if there were a better hollowing tool on the market. I firstly came across the McNaughton range of hollowing tools. These appeared to be what I was after but I found that the handles to be to heavy. I then looked at the Stewart System and liked the arm-brace set-up, as this would give support when doing large hollow vessels.

I purchased a Stewart system at the Sydney Working with Wood show and have since had a chance to use it.I found that although it is a scraping cutting action by a slight rotation of the tool you get a shear-cut which gives a good finish.

The only problem I foresee with the Stewart system could be to cut under the shoulder of the hollow vessel. My solution to this is to buy a set of 17mm McNaughton shafts (straight, slightly bent, fully bent) which should fit into the Stewart system arm-brace. I feel that this would enable you to do any hollowing that you may wish to undertake.

You may well ask the cost of all this. The Stewart system was $215, the McNaughton shafts $95...total $310. I don't find this unreasonable for the amount of work you would be able to do with these tools.

I hope that my exprience with finding the perfect hollowing tool is of some assistance.
If you are still sold on the Woodcut I have one for sale with both straight and bent cutters and long handle. Email me if you are interested.

cheers for now,
Brett

Steve Walkom
14th April 2000, 09:37 AM
Hi Brett.

Thanks for your reply. I found it very useful. I would like to discuss with you further about this topic. I am interested to know how old your Woodcut tool is. Could you email me direct at [email protected]

Thanks.

Steve