PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers in Tasmania

cesky
11th September 2000, 10:22 AM
I am visiting Tasmania, April next year and would like to include visits to woodworkers, amateur or professional making fine furniture and/or woodturning. Any names?

------------------
David

Shane Watson
11th September 2000, 01:53 PM
Not sure if this is what your really after, but anyway it may be of interest.

You may like to visit the Australian School of Fine Furniture.
http://www.asff.com.au/index2.htm

Check there site, it will give the neccessary info. They are only new to the scene, but never the less could prove an interesting side tour...

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

ubeaut
11th September 2000, 03:06 PM
Never been there but am reliably told that they are everywhere and not at all hard to find. I believe all you have to do is open your eyes.

Try Roger Brown 03 6297 0050 at the Geeveston Heritage Centre 20 Church St Geeveston Tas 7116 tell him 'U' from U-Beaut sent you. You might also try the following:

Woodcraft Guild of Tas
Robert Blacklow (03) 6272 4498
PO Box 645 Rosney Park Tas 7018

Tamar Woodworkers Guild
G Heynes (03) 6382 3353
PO Box 49 Launceston Tas 7250

North West Woodcrafters
Pat Milburn (03) 6425 2111
PO Box 8 Ulvistone Tas 7315

Woodcraft Supplies
Roger McMaster 03 6248 5620
"Lazy Acres" Cambridge - Hobart Tas 7170

Legana Woodturning & Craft Supplies
Jim or Tony Baker 03 6330 2522
11 Park Drive, LEGANA Tas 7277

This should help a bit.

Cheers - Neil

Rod
12th September 2000, 08:27 AM
Visit the Salamanca markets any Saturday. Lots of woodturners sell there. At the same time visit the gallerys around Salamanca. The Geeveston Heritage Centre (as U-Beaut has already said) is also normally worth a visit.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 12 September 2000).]

cesky
14th September 2000, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the help. The Fine Furniture design school should certainly be worth a visit and yes, I will be sniffing around in each of the regions we visit. Names in advance can be a help though, especially if they can be contacted by e mail before the visit. Thanks again.

AlexS
15th September 2000, 08:16 AM
You can't go there without coming back with a bootload of timber. Check out this site. www://tastimber.tas.gov.au and get your 6 pack of veneer samples.

I endorse what others have said about the Geeveston heritage centre. While you're there, go to the timber place on Cemetery Rd. and get some timber.

Shane Watson
15th September 2000, 11:31 AM
Oh and on that note, You cannot I repeat CANNOT go to Tassie and not visit the Cadbury Factory! Do the tour and you might be lucky enough to discover the secret of how they get the caramel in the centres http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

yum yum, can I come too?

hehehhe

Cheers
Shane