PDA

View Full Version : Festool CCD12

silkwood
15th April 2004, 08:56 PM
Has anyone had difficulty with a Festool CCd12 drill? After having used them over a couple of years during courses, I decided to take the plunge and purchase one (as well as the Basis table and saw, saw guides, jigsaw, etc., etc...in for a penny) but found it had, admittedly very minor, runout.

My viewpoint is that I could have purchased a drill with minor runout for a fraction of the price, I wanted something that would allow me to accurately place screws for fine hinges on boxes etc.

I took it back to Glenfords and mentioned my problem and was treated like a moron (okay, so they're a perceptive lot).

The Festool rep replaced the chuck, but the problem persisted so I have now returned it again. This time I was treated as a pain in the rear. I have only used the thing twice (purchased two weeks ago). I have never seen this with Festool equipment before, so am I being too picky? The runout is very minor. Do these drills develop runout after a while? Have I purchased the wrong drill?

DarrylF
15th April 2004, 09:09 PM
They are an expensive item, sold on their quality - it shouldn't have a problem like that.

If Glenfords are being a pain, talk to Festool themselves - http://www.festool.com.au/ - I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Barry_White
15th April 2004, 09:15 PM
I don't know much about the Festool Drill but this is what I use to centre screw holes in hinges and consider them a foolproof way of doing it.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=10610

bsrlee
16th April 2004, 01:41 AM
I have one of the old 9.6v drills, no problems.

Is your unit one of the new ones with the interchangeable drilling heads? I looked at those & was a bit concerned about reliability & such - I'm not easy on tools, I've killed my 900w AEG drill twice now by overheating.

As for the retailer - well in most states it IS THEIR problem - fix it to your satisfaction or give you your money back - see your local fair trading department for info.

davo453
16th April 2004, 10:49 AM
Never except treatment from a retailer like that, words such as “not of merchantable quality” and “not suitable for the intended purpose” (which for you it isn’t) usually have them running around trying to fix the problem.

After all Festool manufacture a premium product and publicity such as this is not good, I have received an attempted high handed approach from Glenfords before too it's just a defence mechanism ie trying to scare you away.

Dave

ndru
16th April 2004, 12:42 PM
I've been down the path of getting the SA Office for Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) involved in a "unfit for intended purpose" matter before.

I think this is for the retailer to resolve with Festool, not for you to run around with Festool (although you may find them more useful initially than Glenfords).

My advice is that if, after stating clearly to Glenfords staff in person that you are not satisfied with the poor quality of a premium product, ask for the name of the person with the highest authority in the store (I think this info is available on the Glenfords website). Then, WRITE A LETTER to that person, stating at the bottom of your correspondence that if this matter is not resolved satisfactorily then it will be referred to OCBA on the issue of the item not being fit for intended purpose. It helps to briefly provide the background of when you purchased it and your attempts to have the problem resolved.

This will do one of two things - it will formally put them on notice of your complaint. More importantly it provides evidence to OCBA that you have previously attempted to resolve the matter. If you get no joy after the letter, call OCBA and tell the you have already written to Glenfords. They should then get involved and contact Glenfords on your behalf.

Hopefully you can resolve the issue with Glenfords without getting to the stage of writing letters, but its sometimes necessary to escalate. Can't say I've personally had problems with Glenfords before, but they have recommended Festool to me a couple of times based on its high level of quality.

BTW, Glenfords website states:

"Glenfords proudly stock only name brand tools & machinery that are recognised for their quality & reliability, and tools we know you can get after sales service on ANYWHERE in Australia. We are of the belief that our customers want Quality & value for money, and many brands available on the market just don’t offer that. These are the brands you won’t find in our stores."

outback
16th April 2004, 01:09 PM
Ndru says it all

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Ben from Vic.
16th April 2004, 06:46 PM
Like Ndru says, send a letter.

Make sure you do it registered post. That way their is proof that they received the letter.

Ben

silkwood
16th April 2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks to all. I am (still) waiting to hear back from them after dropping the drill of for the second time.

I appreciate the advice, particularly the detail. In this situation you tend to wonder if you are being too picky, I'll wait for their reply before any letter writing or emails.

Cheers.

sam63
8th August 2004, 12:56 PM
I have had a similar problem with Metabo 705, which I got as a Christmas present last year. I asked this question in this forum a while ago as well. After about 15 drilling, mainly on the wood by the way, chuck started slipping. I took it to the retailer and, as you said, I got the same treatment. I was told that the chuck is consumable and they can not replace it. People on this forum suggested that I should contact Metabo, which I did. They asked me to send the drill to Melbourne, and they came back with the same reply. Now I am considering if I should take it to the Dept. of Fair Trading or just buy a new chuck, which costs about $45. You are at least lucky that they replaced it the first time.

Sam

Medal Collector
18th August 2004, 07:06 PM
Please excuse the ignorance of a new enthusiast but can you tell me what is meant by the term "run out"?

davo453
18th August 2004, 07:28 PM
The term run out is generally used to describe a blade or shaft running out of line, so in the case of a circular saw blade it is the sideways movement of the blade not caused by flexing, so the shaft is moving in and out.

In a drill it would most likely be the sideways movement of the shaft as movement in and out is not really likely to be a problem.

Dave

Perthite
25th August 2004, 10:50 AM
Great timing, I received my festo catalogue yesterday and was of the opinion that there would never be any problems with a product with such a high price tag. Surely these tools should rarely have problems and the after sales service should be amazing. But then I am often called an idealist . Thanks again feedback like I read in this forum is priceless.

Ratbag
27th August 2004, 12:44 PM
I have both a CDD12 & a TDD 14.4, and don't have sigificant problems with either. The former (12V) drill sacrifices speed for torque, whereas the latter has both speed & torque, and feels better balanced to boot. There are better designed drills available these days however. Next time around I'll be looking long & hard at the Panasonic range. They're world leaders in DC motor & battery technology, and are significantly lighter than the newest Metabo or Festool models.

Carpenter
24th April 2005, 08:57 PM
Ratbag'
Beware the NiMh high AH Battery (the trump card of Panasonic). I hear they're not so great after all. I know the military don't use them anymore. I like the NiCad's.