PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench ala FWW

bigAl
17th April 2004, 12:31 AM
Just completed, the new workbench from a design in a recent Fine Woodworking. The bench, trestle legs and drawer fronts are Kwilla. All secondary wood is tassie oak.

The feet are removable shoes that slide off the leg. They hold the wheels that are morticed in off the floor. The wheels were a real good idea. This thing weighs a ton.

Grunt
17th April 2004, 03:05 AM
BigAl,

You deserve a beer after making this. Excellent work. I love it.

DarrylF
17th April 2004, 07:40 AM
A beer??? A KEG!!!! :)

VERY nice work Al :)

After finally starting down the hand plane path, I've recently come to realise how awful my main workbench is - gotta build me something like that too.

Only problem is, that one's too nice to use :D

ptc
17th April 2004, 09:37 AM
That's a Bench. it's a pleasure to just look at it.

Rebus
17th April 2004, 10:10 AM
Greetings,

Very nice work BigAl !

What sort of finish did you use ?

Regards

outback
17th April 2004, 10:28 AM
After studying your design carefully I see a major problem.

This thing is no good as a work bench, it is a work of art. I couldn't contemplate placing anything on it which would mark it or damage it in any way

Cngratulations.

Mick C.
17th April 2004, 11:19 AM
Fantastic Job!!! like Darryl said, the only problem is it's to nice to use! It world be sacralidge to mark or mar the top! :)

ozwinner
17th April 2004, 11:54 AM
Dont use it for woodwork, it too good for that.
Put it your lounge room.

Al

derekcohen
17th April 2004, 11:59 AM
Al

That is simply stunning! I hope that its good looks don't scare you off using it for woodworking!!!!

A great inspiration to the rest of us. Thanks for posting.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ben from Vic.
17th April 2004, 02:18 PM
Very nice work Al.

Could we get some dimentions off you (L,W,H, thickness of top, etc)?

How do you like the Twin screw vise?
Was it difficult to install?

Thanks.

Ben.

Driver
17th April 2004, 06:14 PM
I'm totally envious, Al. That's beautiful work, Well done.

Col

jow104
17th April 2004, 06:35 PM
SUPER
Please put in the post to U.K.

MajorPanic
17th April 2004, 11:20 PM
Lovely Bench!!
It is a beauty to behold & should serve you well for years.
What are the dimensions of this little gem?

bigAl
18th April 2004, 02:28 AM
Hey folks,

Many thanks for the kind words. Praise from ones peers really does inspire you to do better on the next job (which is going to be a Philly Highboy (http://www.sapfm.org/sapfmmay2003/gallery/zoom.asp?Category=High%20Chests&Maker=Eric%20E.%20Wickey&Contact=EWWOODWORKING243%20Jefferson%20Ave.Tenafly,%20NJ%2007670ph.%20201-227-9233&Website=Email:%[email protected];%20Website:%20EWWoodwork.com&Zoom=zoom_42422_ChestZoom.jpg) , see you all in 6 months)

I'm having a beer as I type and saving the vodka for the first serious scratch or dent. This thing was made to work on and I know it's going to get beaten up. First thing I made when I finished the top was a bench hook.

A few specific points worth picking up on:

Ozwinner:- NOTHING is too good for woodworking. Besides, I'm planning on using the loungerrom as a spraybooth;

Ben from Vic:- The bench is 2150L x 720W x 860H minus vises. The twin screw vise is pretty radical. It doesn't use guide rods, just the two screws so it drops down as it extends to maximum opening of about 350mm. That being said, it's tremendous and worth its $375 price tag if you want a really BIG vise. I installed this vise after the apron that became the rear jaw was already fitted to the table. Big mistake. I wish I had taken a picture of how I ended drilling the holes. I'd win dickhead of the week for sure! If you plan to use this vise in a bench you're building, buy it before you buy the wood. It'll define a lot of your dimensions. If anyone is planning on using one of these critters, drop me a line and I'll copy you with the instructions;

jow104:- Only if you're paying the postage mate. It may be cheaper for you to buy a local cabinet shop...

Major Panic:- High praise indeed coming from you. The bench you made for your Father-in-law was the reason this ended up with the drawers.

Rocker
18th April 2004, 05:17 AM
Al,

That is a fine bench indeed.

I have a twin-screw vice like yours. I find that the chain mechanism, which is supposed to ensure that both screws turn together, doesn't work properly on mine - one of the sprockets slips. This doesn't really matter much, and I haven't bothered to make a major effort to cure the problem.

I was intrigued to hear that you are aiming to make a Philadelphia highboy. I presume you are following the plans in FW #117 - 119. I was surprised, when reading the article in #117, that the author follows the traditional method of making the sides with the grain running horizontally, and morticing them into the upper part of the legs. That seems to me to be inviting the sides to split. It would seem much more sensible to have the grain run vertically, and join the sides to the legs with biscuits.

I am afraid I never rose to the challenge of making one of these; though I did make Lonnie Bird's colonial corner cupboard, which is much less demanding.

How are you going with the claw and ball feet, by the way?

Rocker

Geno
18th April 2004, 10:29 AM
Top job Big Al. What finish did you use as it looks far to nice to use as a workhorse.

Bob Willson
18th April 2004, 11:45 AM
A really beautiful piece of work Al, makes me all kind of jealous and I have started planning how to steal it. Luckily, it has wheels, so it shouldn't be too difficult to move.

The question that I would like answered is: How much did it cost to make all up? The vice on its own must cost a couple of hundred.

Damn, I wish I had made one like that now instead of the one I did.

bigAl
18th April 2004, 05:09 PM
Hi Rocker,

Many thanks. The chain mechanism is an easy fix. On the sprocket that doesn't have the pin to disengage the chain are two lug nuts that lock the sprocket to the shaft. You can get to them through the small hole in the side cover with an allen key. It's a five minute fix.

I do have the plan from Fine Woodworking, but there are some very cool variants on the style and I'm still trying to figure out a design. You're spot on about the grain direction in the lower chest. That surprised me too. What I've decided is to run the grain horizontally but cut the mortice and tenons with room to move and make the spacers and runners behind it more structural. Think floating panel glued at the top mortice. and pins in the middle and bottom with an elongated hole in the tenon.

The wood is the real trick. Cuban Mahogany.

What do you think?

GENO:- I mean't to mention in my last post that the bench took just over a litre of organoil to finish. It stop the glue drips from sticking and any errant stain or varnish can be scraped off as required. I anticipate in the future the top will have to be cleaned up, so trying plane and more oil after that on the parts that're planed down.

BOB WILSON:- Now that's the rel question isn't it?...
The wood all up cost about $850.00
Front vise about $80.00
Tail Vise $375.00
Drawer Slides for the 3 large drawers about $15.00
Brass Knobs about $40.00

So material was about $1350.00

Labour cost at $1.00/hr about $300.00 (but seems more)

The satisfaction of having built it and it not crashing through the concrete floor, priceless.

As for your planned theft, best you bring a few mates, even pushing this thing on wheels requires a run up!

Al.

Bob Willson
18th April 2004, 05:36 PM
Whoooa, $1350 plus labour? Ok better lock it up tight because regardless what you might think, I got a few friends and we am gonna get thet thar sucker ASAP. Weem got us a front end loader and a seriously big truck for the removal of said sucker. :)

Rocker
18th April 2004, 06:10 PM
Al,
I am sure the highboy will look stunning in Cuban mahogany, but I still can't reconcile myself to the thought of horizontal grain in the sides, even if that is more 'authentic'. I think it would look more natural with the grain vertical.

I think you are a little modest to cost your labour at $1 per hour.

Rocker

journeyman Mick
18th April 2004, 10:07 PM
Al,
obviously $1 per hour is far too little for your talents, come and work for me and I'll triple it!:D

Mick

bigAl
18th April 2004, 11:00 PM
Hi Rocker,

I've been trying to decide that myself for the past few weeks and I really don't know. There are Pros and Cons for both arguments. The original horizontal grain was an obvious choice for the builders back in the day, wide boards available and mortice and tenon joints. Spin the grain 90 degrees and the tenon is weak. A floating tenon is more work and increases the potential for joint failure over time.

I've no real objection to biscuits and as soon as I see a 300 year old piece of furniture that uses them, I'll get on board.

I don't think it's justified to mess with convention on a piece of furniture that's intended as an heirloom.

That being said, before I start chopping up boards that can't be replaced, I'd be very happy for as many opinions as I can get.

Hi Mick,

$3 an hour sounds great! Do I have to supply my tools?

Bob,

I've now set Claymores to cover the approaches to the garage and there are converging fields of fire from the bedroom windows. Do your worst!

Bob Willson
19th April 2004, 05:53 AM
Err, could you send me your address please? I don't know where you live. :o

Wongo
19th April 2004, 01:28 PM
Hi BigAl,

Fantastic work and I am so jealous. Actually a workbench is the first item that I am going to make when we move to our new house. It is time for my “it does the job” workbench to go.:(

Well done:)

Scott

Rocker
19th April 2004, 02:29 PM
Al,

I see that the author of the highboy article was aware of the cross-grain problem with the sides, but was happy to take the risk of cracking anyway for the sake of 'authenticity'. It seems to me, however, that only an expert on colonial American furniture would know that 18th century highboys were traditionally made with the grain in the sides running horizontally. I can't see that your descendants will bless you for producing an cracked but 'authentic' piece, when in actual fact it is not authentic anyway. If you use biscuits or floating tenons, no one but you will ever know, and you can be sure the piece will be structurally sound.

But I have probably bugged too much on this subject already; so I will shut up from now on:)

arose62
19th April 2004, 04:31 PM
One small question:

is there any reason why the vice handles aren't made of the same wood as the rest of the bench?

My guess is that folks would be tempted to touch something that is clearly designed as a handle, and that the real ones are stored in one of the drawers.

Perhaps the ones pictured are 'sacrificial' ones for touching?

Cheers,
Andrew

bigAl
20th April 2004, 01:12 AM
Hey all,

You know Rocker, I think you've decided me. Thanks. Better to do what's right, rather than authentic and go vertical. Sorry for boring those that aren't into this stuff:o .

Andrew, thanks mate, just when I thought I'd finished the bloody thing, someone goes and points out a glaring defect! I won't be able to sleep now 'til I've fixed it. Still, gives me something to do now the girlfriend's left me 'cause I don't spend enough time with her...:confused:

Cheers,

Al.

PJP
20th April 2004, 09:41 PM
G'day, be gentle as this is my first time.
As another who has been in the shadows for some time
it is great to see a terrific project that obviously we'd all be extremely proud of. Also good questions,answers,and humor. makes this forum a pleasure.

congrats and well done, PJ