PDA

View Full Version : 2 pack poly or danish oil for parquetry?

Cassandra
17th April 2004, 09:29 AM
Old floor, 45 years old parquetry, needs redoing. It has had polyurethane on it. Can we sand and danish oil it or is it better to do a 2-pack again? The problem I have with 2-pack is when it needs to be redone, we have to move ALL the furniture. We have some very large and heavy pieces and are not getting any younger. However we do need durability too.
Cass

bitingmidge
17th April 2004, 09:46 AM
My preference would be a SATIN poly, and the hardest finish you can find. There are a number of products on the market, if you are given advice about a "new" product generally stay away from it! I like to see an example of the product which has been in place for at least five years, but then I've been bitten once or twice using new fangled stuff!

If you are a real glutton for punishment, you could use a flat, then a floor wax which will take lots of maintenance but will give a natural sheen.

As for recoating, if you do the job properly in the first place, unless you are really hard on the floor, or it is exposed to a lot of sunlight, you should get 10 years before it starts to look like needing another!

We have sold houses after 8, and 13 years without recoating.

Cheers,

P

Cassandra
17th April 2004, 10:14 PM
Our real problem with the wear and tear on the parquetry is the amount of grit and dirt that comes in from the backyard. The yard is higher than the house, with a paved patio directly out the back door. The dog and kids collect the dirt and sand on thier feet and track it inside. No amount of mats or other stuff seems to help this problem so its like sandpaper rubbing on the floor every time I sweep. So with the new floor I intend to vacuum. How long that lasts with me is the question! Dragging the vacuum out each day to do it when the broom is so handy might be a serious turn off. Still, I will try. The neighbour reccommended a "SWIFFER" but she has no grit, only dust and hair. A swiffer would still have the same problem of acting like sandpaper.
It has been 10 years since we did the floors last time and they have needed redoing for at least 5 of those 10 years.
Cass

wombat47
18th April 2004, 08:39 AM
Cassandra, the solution is simple. Get rid of the dog and the kids.

bitingmidge
18th April 2004, 01:09 PM
We ran away from home and left the kids 150k's away and that helped.

We use exclusively a Microfibre floor mop designed for the purpose. Not inexpensive but they really do work wonders. For twelve months had large amounts of grit to contend with, (no driveway or landscaping at all) and needed a twice daily mop, but never a vacuum.

Enjo is one brand, but we have a less expensive knock off from "Norges", and find that occasionally a mop with clean water is all that is needed, with a daily dry mop.

In your environment I wouldn't even consider a more "natural" finish, but then I hate hard work!

Cheers,

P

jmohan
6th November 2004, 12:57 PM
Hi, I purchased a microfiber mop by 'Norges' in a Home show in melbourne couple of years ago. I need refill mop pads and I am not able to find them in any shop in Melbourne. I searched the net and I found you guys discussing about these mops. CAn you please let me know where I can obtain the refill pads for the "Norges" microfiber mop. This will be of great help to me, as I really like the mop very much.