PDA

View Full Version : Table saw V's Triton

Shannon
18th April 2004, 03:25 PM
G'day all,

Having recently joined the world of active user after lurking for about a year, I thought that I would ask a question which unfortunately has some strong opinions attached, but one which I would like some help with.

I know that Triton V's table saw has come up before - and I have just spent the best part of the last hour sifting through the archives to glean some info in the hope that I wouldn't have to reignite any old flames - alas some of my answers were not there.

Basically, I am after some clinical responses about the differences between the 2. I guess the big question would be does it allow me more freedom to rip and crosscut larger timbers and sheeting straight away (or do you need to buy extensions as with the triton).

I have a Mk 3 triton and I am happy with it, but it is getting on a bit in years (bought several years ago second hand) and I am more often than not wishing I could afford some of the almost essential add ons (extension table being the BIG one). I am finding that the more wood I demolish, the more limiting my basic Triton set up is. However with all of the add ons needed (or wnted!) I would be looking down the barrel of that money spent taking me a fair way towards a table saw, which got me to thinking..... the sydney WWW show is coming up, gold leader in a recent post has enticed my brain by saying that if a number of people get together, there might be some bigger discounts to be had etc etc.

Having had no real experience with the benefits and drawbacks of a table saw though, I am a little uncomfortable even thinking about the outlay without some more experienced help.

Having said all of that, there would be some good discounts on Triton gear as well.

Which brings me back to the question at hand. What - if any - benefits will a table saw bring me other than the fact that I could now use my triton as a dedicated router table!!

I will also post this on the Triton forum to balance it out a bit.

Sorry for the dragged out post, and HONESTLY, I don't want this to turn into a heated opinion poll - if fact not even an opinion poll at all, I just haven't much experience in the differences between the 2 so am after some facts about them.

Thanking you in advance.
:) :)

echnidna
18th April 2004, 03:44 PM
A triton is a reasonable tool but it just doesnt compare to a mid range sawbench. A good high powered table saw with an induction motor will leave a Triton for dead.

I have never owned a triton but a good friend has had one for years. After using my homemade sawbench a few times he is building one like it.

Graham Jones
18th April 2004, 04:39 PM
Like you i have a Triton table thats done heaps of work,but also have a table saw jointer combo i picked up second hand(mainly for the jointer),but find i use both saws still.
The old Triton mainly for light ripping and the table for the accurate fiddly stuff,mate any cast tilting table with the option for Daddo blades and a quick height adjustment turns the Triton into a poor relation,but i wouldn't get rid of it,you can't have too many saws.
regards Andre.

davo453
18th April 2004, 05:22 PM
I used a Triton Mk3 for many years and used it so much for such a wide variety of uses everything from furniture making to believe it or not cutting sand stone tiles and thick steel box tubing and it performed really very well, I still have it , but it rarely gets used, the table is now so thin you can easily flex it with your finger.

Space is a big issue with a table saw, they aren’t portable, even the light contractors saws are a pain to move from job site to job site. Most cabinet saws weigh in the region of 200kg.

Cutting panels 2.4 x 1.2 will unless you buy a sliding panel saw still require outriggers of some sort. I use 3 roller stands for the purpose. A panel saw would be great but they cost $$$$ and take up even more space.

The accuracy is another thing a nice heavy base is a good foundation for any saw, meaning that once set the blade (should) stay parallel to the fence and miter slot. You can also tilt the arbor on a table saw which is something the triton can’t do without cumbersome jigs etc, if you make sure you get a good fence with your table saw it is much quicker to set up than the Triton system .

The induction motor used on most table saws is so much quieter than the brush motors used in portable saws, this means happier neighbors, living in the burbs next to a very keen woodworker with a Triton and a router must be a bit of a trial.

So it’s down to cost, space, portability, noise and accuracy in my opinion.

Cheers

Dave.

soundman
18th April 2004, 06:03 PM
quieter, safer, more accurate, more real saw for your money.

If you are going to do a lot of 8 x 4 sheet work a real sliding table is good but that a long way past a triton.

$1000 buys you something that will put a triton in the shade, build in feed & out feed tables as required.

I had a triton ( second hand) as a first bench it was a reasonable choice at the time. but the best thing I ever did was sell it.

GeoffS
18th April 2004, 06:04 PM
Own a Triton 2000, have owned Triton gear since a Mk1.
Triton Cons:-
Worst one - can't tilt the arbor.
Noisy
The height winding kit is a must.
Sometimes a bit slow to setup.

Triton Pros:-
Moveable, even portable.
Bit less expensive
Large extension table is very cheap compared with similar facilities on most table saws.

Neither pro or con:-
With care accuracy is as good as you need for woodwork.

If I had the space I would own a table saw but I would not get rid of the Triton.

Cheers

kenmil
18th April 2004, 06:51 PM
I have had both and wouldn't consider a Triton again, unless portability/space was a major issue. In that area, it is good, but in all other aspects, it is a poor relation to a table saw.

As far as large sheets are concerned, why would you want to handle them on a table saw anyway ? I still break mine up on a couple of saw horses outside, and then take them to the saw for final cuts. This is mainly due to a lack of spare space inside my shop, and I don't find it a major inconvenience.

You are really comparing a motorised bicycle to a motor bike, so in many respects the comparison is not even fair.

soundman
18th April 2004, 07:00 PM
Do the math apples for apples the triton isn't cheaper.

I know a couple of ex tritoners who had to be prompted to be rid of their dust gathering tritons after purchase of a real bench.

Its an emotional attachment, an affliction.

davo453
18th April 2004, 08:07 PM
With my old Triton it's more a case of that no sane person would be willing to buy it (I’ll post a picture one day) it owes me nothing though and deserves a quiet retirement.
A mate of mine borrows it occasionally maybe I’ll let him have it on permanent loan.

Dave

zathras
18th April 2004, 08:20 PM
OK, perhaps a naive question, but why can't you adapt a triton sliding table to a table saw, especially if you already have it lying about ?

Shannon
18th April 2004, 09:28 PM
Thankyou all for your replies so far, keep them coming:D

They have helped me to understand the debate a little more. Space is a slight issue for me, but with a little creative thinking I may be able to incorporate the saw into some workbenches to overcome the non portability issue. The whole arbor tilt thing is a huge bonus though.

Kenmil you are right in me cutting bigger sheets outside, I guess I was just hoping from a accuracy - and laziness:) - point of view that it might be an easy thing to do on a tablesaw.

The general feel I am getting so far is that if the funds and space are available, then a tablesaw is something I will never regret investing in, but there are still advantages to be had by having the triton as well. I have some stuff to mull over at least.
Cheers.

Vasco
18th April 2004, 11:47 PM
Shannon,

having owned a triton MK3 for some 14years approx and making many projects with it. Even earning part time money from it making all sorts of furniture and large projects including kitchens. I have plenty of praise for the Triton. My equipment list back then consisted of MK3 triton and extension table and the then Triton router table and a few hand tools. I have recently been on a spending spree and bought many more pieces of equipment ( enough to start a cabinet shop ). My first new piece after some thought of buying a table saw was a series 2000 Triton with the dust extractor and winding mechanism along with Triton saw. Soon after I relented and bought a table saw (KS12-K) and now I wish I hadn't bought the second triton. There is no comparison between the two. I am not bagging the Triton here (I still believe it serves a very good purpose to a segement of the woodworkers out there) it is that until you use a table saw that you realise the limits of the Triton. Don't forget that you don't need to have all the bells and whistles on these devices. A sliding table is great but why wouldn't a home made extension table similar to the original Triton one not surfice for the large sheets. It sure would be cheaper.
My advice for you would be if space is a problem then go for the Triton but if you have the space go for a table saw. Keep in mind that a new Triton with the Triton saw and winding mechanisim will cost you as much as a good bottom end table saw like mine. The Triton is noisy and has a small depth of cut but it is light and movable around your garage/workshop.
Hope that you keep on woodworking regardsless of the equipment you have.
Regards Vasco

DarrylF
19th April 2004, 07:19 AM
I never went down the Triton route - just couldn't stand the noise. I value my hearing and I figured on not constantly fueding with my neighbors :)

I bought an $1,100 contractor style (open base frame) table saw about 3 years ago - 12" blade, 2hp motor, single belt drive with cast iron top. The fence was rubbish, bought a Biesemeyer for $700 or so. Then built a base cabinet with dust extraction and an extension & outfeed table. Of course these days you can buy a reasonable cabinet saw with decent fence for that sort of money.

One day I'll upgrade it to a Jet. For now it does the job nicely. Takes a dado set. Rips 3+ inches - never had it bog down unless I'm doing something stupid. Decent blades are a must of course.

Handles sheet rips up to about 1200mm wide - though I don't have the space to handle full sheets in my workshop anyway, so I have the sheets cut to 1200 x 600mm or 1200 x 400mm, which does 99% of what I want to build. If I need a larger section I have that cut by my supplier. Generally costs little to nothing extra but the time to wait for it.

Take a look at my site below - it sits right in the middle of my workshop. Though it's mobile if needed, it stays put 99% of the time. It generally gets used as a work/assembly table when I'm not cutting. Lots of storage space below for the thicknesser etc.

I've thought about a sliding table, and if I had stacks of space it wouldn't be bad - but the extension table allows me to handle sheet goods in minimum space, and does all I need. I use the CMS to dock long narrow stock to length and a sled on the tablesaw to square up panels etc.

It hooks up to the DC using 100mm pipe, which gets most of the sawdust.

As kenmil says, it's like comparing a motorcycle to a motorised bicycle - both will get you there, but for utility, operator comfort and versatility they're in a totally different league.

silkwood
19th April 2004, 09:32 AM
I've used the Triton saw bench quite a few times and was reasonably impressed, considering its cost and portability. Accuracy is a bit of a fiddle, but more than possible, just look at some of the work produced on them.

I've also used a considerable number of quality table and panel saws. Yes there is a difference, but you don't pick up a panel saw and take it over to the neighbours to help build a pergola. Accuracy is not guaranteed (though it is easier to produce) on even very expensive gear.

Having weighed it all up I needed portability and wanted quality, flexibility and accuracy. Result? I have recently purchased a Festool Basis 1A/AT55E. A little like a Triton, you can take out the saw to use separately. Huge difference in quality and accuracy though. Adding home-built fences and extentions is easy, thanks to well machined, solid channel in the table. There are add-ons to creating a sliding panel saw but I have purchased two of the guides. I can take the saw to the work and make beautifully accurate cuts on anything from narrow planks to breaking down full pannels.

The downside? Costs a damn site more than the Triton. Is it worth it? I love it but only you can tell worth from cost, it's a personal thing.

Cheers,

Wongo
19th April 2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kenmil
You are really comparing a motorised bicycle to a motor bike, so in many respects the comparison is not even fair.

Motorised bicycle!! I like it.:p

OK lets build this motorised bicycle together.

Saw $350
Workbench $460
Height winder $100 (??)
Bevel Ripping Guide $100 (???)
Dust bag $90

Total $1100

No way!

silentC
19th April 2004, 03:23 PM
Wongo,

We know your trials and tribulations with the Triton have left you a bit jaded, mate.

The concept of the Triton gear was created to allow you to make use of power tools that you already own. The whole idea of buying a saw specifically for it has evolved following on from it's popularity. The Triton saw itself is a recent addition to the range and was created to cash in on that market and to provide a saw that is guaranteed to fit.

The original idea was to allow you to have the benefits of a table saw without having to shell out big bucks to buy one - but the saving is only there if you assume that you already have a saw that will fit it.

When you look at it that way, you can remove the $350 for the saw from the price tag. You also don't get a dust collection device with a table saw, so you can remove the $90 for that. Whether or not you need the height winder and the bevel ripping guide is debatable. I don't have either. The point is that if you don't need them, they are features you don't have to pay for.

Naturally a fully-featured table saw is going to be an improvement over a Triton. If you're going to buy a Workcentre, all the accessories and a dedicated saw to put in it, you'd probably be better off buying a table saw. The only reason I can see for still choosing the Triton is portability.

I'm planning on buying a tablesaw myself shortly but I will keep the Triton for it's portability. I'll probably also be a bit fussy about what I cut on the tablesaw and it will be handy to have the Triton for rough work.

Wongo
19th April 2004, 05:08 PM
SilentC, It was a simple example of a typical Triton setup.

How many of you started off with a workbench and ended up collecting the full set out of necessity?

Our fellow woodworkers are suffering. Just take a look of the Triton forum. How many ridiculous problems are there? People pay good money for it and yet they have to put up with all the hiccups. Take Smiffy as example (sorry Smiffy). He first bought a workbench and realised his saw did not fit. He then bought the saw and it had vibration problem. And now he is having problem with the Ruler Arms Scale. So after 3 months and £800, he still cannot enjoy his woodwork. He is probably fine with it now but that is not the point. Is it fair to him? Is he the only one out there? I don’t think so.

People need to these things before going to a hardware store and think that they can go away with a tablesaw for less than $500. I am just expressing my honest opinion.

silentC
19th April 2004, 05:36 PM
You're right, they do need to know.

Like most products, the Triton set up has its pros and cons and its detractors and supporters. As has been alluded to already, comparing a Triton with a table saw is not really comparing apples with apples.

There are a handful of people who have had problems, you being one of them. From my reading of the Triton forum though, the satisfied customers are in the majority. I can say that I'm one of them. My Triton has cost me the original purchase price of the 2000 Workcentre and nothing more. I didn't buy all the other gadgets for it but for some people, building it up as they go along is a more accessible alternative to shelling out for a $1000 tablesaw in one hit.

I don't regret buying mine, it has been very useful for the years that I have had it. I already had a saw to go in it and I thought "what a great idea - I can buy this thing and stick my Makita in it: instant table saw". That's what the Triton is all about. It's better than cutting a slot in an old bench top and screwing your saw to the bottom of it.

Let's not forget that you gave up on yours before you really got it working, so you should ask yourself if you're really in a position to comment on the capabilities of the thing ;)

Wongo
19th April 2004, 05:50 PM
SilentC, I don’t want to make it a personal debate between you and me. Also I have a lot of respect to your opinion in this forum.

I gave up Triton because it knew that even if got it working (I am sure I would have, after all I build my own table saw out of a kitchen cabinet), I still wouldn’t like it. I had it for 2 weeks and I analysed it. It just wasn’t good enough and not worth it.

kenmil
19th April 2004, 06:03 PM
SilentC,

Your description of how the Triton evolved to be something we could add our existing saw to is spot on. On that basis, the cost comparison is a little lopsided.

Nevertheless, the Triton is, and always will be, a compromise for someone who either does not want to spend the $1500-odd required for a real table saw, or cannot justify the cost for the amount of usage it will get. The Triton will never be as good as a table saw, but it is probably not trying to be either.

Probably the most concerning thing about the Triton is all the "wobbly bits" which seem to be causing problems to some of the devotees. I suspect their QC may have slipped a bit. Yes, their after sales service is excellent, and usually very efficient, but I think that's because they have plenty of practice at it.

himzol
19th April 2004, 06:14 PM
Shannon,

I can actually see things from your perspective. I have a triton Mk3 unit, I have had this unit for some thirteen years.

When I baught the unit I was in rental accomadation and knew that I would be moving, also no shed. The other reason was that I owned a shack some two hours out of Adelaide on the Murray which required some TLC (rebuilding). The triton has worked for me with the small cheap circular saw that I had at the time, and is still working with the same saw. (no dust bag, no height winder or bevel ripping guide)

I also baught the extender table and the router table top at the same time.

So what you say. Well at this moment in time I am at a bit of a cross road, and need to decide whether to get a dedicated table saw and just use the triton for the router table or do I just upgrade the Triton Table.

The decision I have reached is to buy the dedicated table saw, not because I have anything against the triton, far from it. The reason is for the features that I will get from the dedicated table such as the tilting arbour etc. The other reason is that I now have room for deicated pieces of equipment such as the table saw and dare I say it a Sliding Compound mitre saw.

I guess what I'm saying is look at the situation YOUR in, how much room have you got? will this change? what can you afford? do you require portability?

Remember, no matter how much advice you get it's your money your spending.

hope this helps,

Himzo.

Vasco
19th April 2004, 07:00 PM
Shannon,
just another quick note. Everytime I did move the Triton 2000 around to the work site I found the saw shifted and I had to realign it which takes about 1/2 hour. This made the portability thing a big pain for me. Mind you it could be just me that had this problem. I do still have mine and use it occasionaly for cross cuts even though I have a SCMS, so that could be a use for your existing Triton.
Regards Vasco

DarrylF
19th April 2004, 09:13 PM
Both have their pros and cons - but the balance has shifted a lot in the last few years. Table saws and compound mitre saws are a lot cheaper and a lot more available than they were even 3 years ago. There's a bigger choice now too.

The Triton is a lot less attractive on a straight out cost basis than it used to be.

soundman
19th April 2004, 10:09 PM
the mooving times i think are catching up with the triton. when I first baught mine you couln't get into a bench of any sort under $2000, and the enviroment was still very much power tool accessory driven.

Now the quality & availability of low priced, reasonably well built specialty power tools is stealing market from various trition products.

They are still a strong contender for the "hardware store shopper" but those of us who know about other sources will choose otherwise.

We buy, we learn, we move up in skill & expectations, our needs will dictate the tools we buy.

When I was a child I thaught and spoke as a child, now I am a man I sold the triton & baught a real bench.

You will always sell a triton in any condition at anytime for far more than it is realy worth. You very rarely see a triton in the trading pose a second week.

Shannon
19th April 2004, 10:44 PM
Thankyou all once again for your input. 24 hours offline has given me quite a bit more food for thought.........MMM food

Anyway I digress, the overall feel remains the same, "motorised bicycles" compared to "motorbikes" - thanks kenmil it seems to sum it up well.

It has been great having people be able to give me an opinion from both sides of the fence (pun not originally intended, but I'll take credit for it now that I have noticed it). It has helped to get info from people who have been there done that, also a few have even been RIGHT where I am at the moment so that also helps to see people come out the other side relatively unscathed!!

Both have ads and disads, but overall it seems that a tablesaw is a great investment as long as the constraints (space, portability, price) can be overcome. And as most have pointed out it is a personal decision depending the afforementioned constraints. Price seems to be less of an issue these days though from what I am reading, which will be good when the lady of the house realises that you bad people are creating a monster!!

On the back of the original question, I would like to become a little greedy and ask another. BRANDS..... I will probably be looking at the lower end of the scale (depending on price) so could I have some tried and true brands of tablesaw thrown at me. I can then visit the websites check them out, track down prices so I can compare a bit better. Vasco, you mentioned in your post a serial number of a tablesaw, could I get the brand name please. Himzol, I would be interested in any input you have regarding brand/price as you seem to be going through the process. And to DarylF, sorry mate I couldn't hear you, I've just switched off the saw, so it will take a while for it to come back.

Thanks again, I look forward to the next 24 hours.

Dion N
19th April 2004, 11:07 PM
When I first started wordworking a few years ago, I had the Triton Compact saw table. I sold it to the next door neighbour within a few months and upgraded to the WC2000.

Ripping is ok once the saw is set up accurately, but the height winder is exceeding slow to use and involve some drilling of the WC to get the adjustment handle to work. I found the cross-cut/mitre guide somewhat inaccurate and bought a Makita SCMS which I am very happy with and use for all crosscut work. The WC has been relegated to ripping only.

I am living in a rental place and my employer tends to send me to a new location every few years, so my workshop is generally half of a two car garage (and also has to fit my motorbike). Hence a 100kg plus table saw is not feasible and I suppose that I will be keeping the WC for a while yet (although I will definitely buy once once I have a place of my own! :D )

If I was starting out again, would I buy the WC 2000? No, for the following reasons:

1. For the price of a WC, Saw, dust collection, wheel kit, height winder etc etc you could come close to buying a quality circular saw and a SCMS or CMS.
2. You can cross-cut on a SCMS or a CMS. They are very versatile and well worth the money.
3. You won't have the ripping capacity, but you can either design your projects out of standard size timber or you may be to rip your own using the circular saw and a straight edge (aluminium channel).

Having said all that, I'm neither a rabid Triton fan or a hater. I tend to agree with those who have said that the Triton concept is becoming dated as the price and availablility of table saws have changed. Whilst the WC is the centrepiece of the Triton range, I believe that some of the best Triton products are the accessories. The Triton router is very good and I am happy with the Triton random orbital sander attachment for my angle grinder.

Whatever your opinion of the quality, accuracy or versatility of the Triton range, you have to admire the sheer marketing genius behind the concept. I don't suppose there are many Triton owners who have been able to resist the lure of the many accessories available... I know I wasn't and now rather wish I had saved the $$ for something else... ::(

Vasco
19th April 2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Shannon,
The table saw I mentioned, which is the one I have is a KS-12-k(305mm blade 100mm depth of cut). I bought mine from Timbecon (timbecon.com.au) but it is availabe from Carb e Tec (carbetec.com.au) under the same model number and I dare say from other suppliers as well. If you look around you will find that most of the equipment at this level is the same machine with different paint colour and brand badges. I went with Timbecon because they are not far from me, I have gotten to know them there and they have a 36month warranty on all there "Sherwood" brand equipment. I have bought equipment from Carbetec and do not have a problem with them at all, for me it is the drive to them is longer and I haven't a personal relationship with any of their sales people although they are friendly people.
Check out both their web sites make calls to them and go with the one you feel comftable with.
Hope this is of help to you.
Regards Vasco

Guy
20th April 2004, 01:07 AM
Take a look at the versatool http://www.versatool.com/ this unit seems to be good value for money. i was looking at importing them to sell here, but finaces were lacking on my part
I am in the process of talking with the designer and has mantioned that he is adapting the mechanism to fit home made benches.
http://www.versatool.com/ShopMight.htm
http://www.versatool.com/versatool_history.htm
and take a look at the picshttp://www.versatool.com/thumbnails.htm

Pulpo
20th April 2004, 02:09 AM
Its really already been said.

However to add, the only true reason I have a Triton WC and the triton saw was the portability.

Would I buy the WC again: No, but I would buy the Triton saw stand and buy a SCMS, in fact I have forgotten the benefits of the WC over the saw stand, for I almost use it exclusively in table mode.

Once my workshop is built, a good table saw will be on the list but low priority, not for desire just the triton will suffice whilst other acquisitions will have higher priority, i.e. bandsaw, or router & table.

Good luck with your purchase; if space and portability is not an issue then I would be leaning heavily towards a table saw over the Triton.

himzol
20th April 2004, 12:39 PM
Hi Shannon,

I haven't decided on any brands as yet, what I have decided on is a somewhat flexible shopping list for the coming working with wood show in Adelaide.
These include a table saw, probably a contractor saw type. A SCMS, agian I haven't decided on the brand though the DEwalt is very tempting. I will also be looking for a jointer though I'm not sure if the finances will strech that far.

As said I haven't decided on brands because they all look like the same saw with different badges, and paint jobs. What I will be looking at is to see the different distributors products side by side ( so to speak) and make up my mind then. There may also be some sort of enticements given by the distributors at the time and these may be the clincher as to who gets my money.

regards,

Himzo

Smiffy
7th May 2004, 05:21 AM
Triton V nothing at all
Hiya Shannon,

I've worked in a few woodworking shops in my life, one tooled up with super, money no object scribing panel saws, spindle moulders and 4 edge planers. All were a joy to use, needed loads of space, 3 phase power and serious dust extraction. The dust extraction units themselves were much larger than my double garage/workshop.

I have also made furniture and kitchens with just a small circular saw, a power planer, a router (with a good selection of cutters) a B&D workmate style bench and a homemade router table. Also the usual hand tools of course. I also had to contend with working outside.

So I have worked at both ends of the scale. The latter was a complete pain in the ass as you can imagine, so before I started on a major kitchen project, I just couldn't face doing this all again.

Since I do not have the money or the space for even low end workshop machines, which I have also used, the Triton WC and accessories seemed to fit all I wanted to do. And to some extent it does.

There is no way that I will delude myself or others by saying that Triton gear will compete with even the cheapest multi-function workshop machinery, which will set you back a good few grand. It is just in a different league. Like comparing a Kia Pride with a BMW 5 Series Both get you from A to B but.......! The latter is five times the price though.

The point is though, on a budget and/or limited space, it at least makes wood working a LOT more tolerable than doing it with nothing at all. Maybe that is why I am so easily pleased ;)

If I could afford it, I would certainly trade my Triton in for a decent combination machine from say, KITY.
The cheapest one is 3-5 times the price of the corresponding Triton gear, but it would pay for itself if it has a lot of work to do.

The triton has its place though, and it is not serious furniture output. Since I fall into the 'as long as it does a better job than a chainsaw or an axe' school of standard, I am happy with it.
Only kidding, it is easy to get good results, and some people have produced some stunning work. It just needs constant fiddling to keep the thing accurate and to get these good results.
If you go Triton, just be prepared to accept compromise and maybe have to put up with some questionable quality problems as I have.

If I was buying the tools to help me make my living, I would certainly advise against getting the Triton stuff, but for hobbyist guys like myself(I am into computers now), who cannot justify spending twice as much cash (especially to the wife) for more professional tools, it does the job.

Cheers,
Raymond.

Pulpo
7th May 2004, 10:02 AM
One would have to be keen building furniture and cabinets in an open air workshop, front or back yard in Scotland.

Now that would be a challenge, moving a decent table saw outside to use it everytime

One thing that I love about my Triton is portability.

Smiffy
7th May 2004, 05:43 PM
I only ever did the work on good days in the summer. It was not my living so I was not too bothered by it. I put a good sized tarp on the ground to catch the sawdust, and kept another one handy if it looked like rain.

I never really got caught out.

I also had my tools near a large shed, which was not big enough to work in, but I could quickly throw my tools in when finished.

This was the bit that was the pain in the bum. Taking my tools out, watching the weather, putting up with the wind blowing the sawdust everywhere, and then putting it all away again.

When I finally got the chance to work in my own workshop and also start to use some tools, like the Triton stuff, to make other jobs quicker and easier, it was sheer heaven.

Probably the same feeling of relief that somebody who had been using Triton stuff for years, finally upgraded to a real combination machine with real dust extraction. ;)

Cheers,
Raymond.

Mr. Minimax
7th May 2004, 06:09 PM
The versatool workcentre seems like an amazing idea!
Has anybody used one?
Are they available in Oz?
The look to have just about as many features as a Triton 2000
And the cost should be a fraction

Smiffy
7th May 2004, 06:27 PM
Drool on this (http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product2004.asp?iProductID=1978)

The tool featured is a particularily good one(expensive)

Also, when you have to buy other accessories, especially spindle moulder cutter sets, appropriate extraction etc, we are talking serious, suck up to the bank manager type money.

If I was furniture making for a living, I would be putting a tool like this in high priority.

I hope this is what you mean by versatool.

Cheers,
Raymond.

Mr. Minimax
7th May 2004, 06:30 PM
Nope, I was referring to www.versatool.com that Guy referred to earlier.

Shannon
10th May 2004, 02:15 PM
Well thankyou yet again for your very valued opinions regarding the equipment.

My latest thoughts are as follows:

I will be going with a tablesaw.....eventually. The whole point of the question was to try and decide before the WWW sydney show, but alas the family funds just aren't going to justify such a large dent at the mo. There is light though for next year. This time around though, I have been encouraged enough to keep plugging away with the restrictions presented by my current set up (mainly the lack of accessories as opposed to the actual debate of tablesaw V's Triton) and also the restrictions of the user, which I assume would be the same if I had a TS :)

So, I will be at the WWW show on Friday or Saturday and might pick up a few other items that will come in handy for my modest workshop.

Thanks again, and I shall keep you posted when the TS is set up - even if it is after a couple more birthdays (and maybe a few promotions to help the kitty :cool: )

Cheers.

mat
10th May 2004, 03:09 PM
Versatool is available from Timbecon in WA

smidsy
11th May 2004, 07:16 PM
I own the current model triton and I have to say that for the money and for a hobbiest it is a good peice of gear - at the time we bought ours (about 12 months ago) the equivlient priced bench saw was a flimsy low end heap of junk that had significantly less table area.

But I think the idea of being able to use your existing saw is bit of a con - we got the triton home, took one look at all the farting around to install and align the saw and went straight back to the shop for another power saw.
The blade alignment is also a cow to get right - at the moment my blade is about 1mm out, but that 1mm means that I can't run the blade guard so I am breaking every rule in the book by running an exposed blade.

So factor in the cost of a saw when you decide to buy but you don't need all the add ons, all we got was the wheel kit and a stand.
Cheers
Smidsy

rhook
12th May 2004, 07:45 PM
From this thread, and a lot of other reading, I'm starting to think that buying a table saw would be a better option than buying the triton workcenter/triton saw combo, since I need a table saw more than i need a portable saw.

Two questions, though. What on earth is the difference between a "contractors" saw and a table saw? And are there good saws on the market for a comparable price to the triton combo?

Bob Willson
12th May 2004, 08:03 PM
A contractors saw needs a degree of portability whilst the cabinet saw proper can weigh a ton and the lower half is usually totally enclosed.

The cabinet saw is usually the better of the two.

davo453
12th May 2004, 08:03 PM
I think you mean the difference between a cabinet saw and a contractors saw as the term table saw would cover all saws mounted in a table.

A cabinet saw is larger and heavier than a contractors saw and therefore even less portable but inherently more stable.

Timbecon are currently selling a 12 inch 2hp contractors saw (brochure arrived today) for $799 which makes me spit cos I paid over $1k for mine and apart from the colour it's identical. The saw is generally a good one for the price. even if the fence is annoying at times.

Cheers Dave

rhook
12th May 2004, 08:44 PM
even if the fence is annoying at times.

That's an intriguing comment - tell us more...

Seriously, that's one saw that caught my eye (my catalogue arrived yesterday), and I hope to have a look at them at the WWW show this weekend.

ozwinner
12th May 2004, 08:58 PM
and some people have produced some stunning work.
Like this?
Dadaaaahhhhh

All built on a triton, apart from the thinneser.

Cheers, Allan

Barry_White
12th May 2004, 09:05 PM
Thats an impressive clock Allan which of course would be a piece of cake on a Triton.

ozwinner
12th May 2004, 09:34 PM
Like Elvis said, Thank you very much, Uhuh

Al

jacko
12th May 2004, 09:51 PM
Local paper has a second hand, almost new Triton for sale today, including router table, extension table, sliding table and dust collection, all for $400! Tells you something doesn't it!
Jacko

Barry_White
12th May 2004, 09:54 PM
Yes someones desperate for money.

Shane Watson
12th May 2004, 10:14 PM

!!!! Spoken like a true Ozzie! ;)

John Saxton
13th May 2004, 01:33 AM
I must admit that I liked the Triton whilst I had it, it's only short comings in my view was the capacity to handle heavy work.
I moved on to the Ryobi BT3000 (a MISTAKE) because it also had it's limitations with heavy work, but it had some convenient features without add -ons that was the buying decision at that time but eventually fell short of where I wanted to be with my gear.
It was at this point in time I realised woodworking was going to take up a fair bit of my time so the decision on real serious gear and in discussion with the war office it then became paramount that I upgrade once and once only hence I had an opportunity to pick up a second- hand and in good nick combination workbench, a 7 function Lab 30 SCMS Italian manufactured that obviously will see me out and will stand the test of time with it's robustness the only shortcoming with this facility is the changing between functions moreover if you have to go back and rip/plane etc to a previous dimension.
But all in all, horses for courses I guess especially where room dictates necessity.

Cheers :)

Sprog
14th May 2004, 01:01 PM
Like this?
Dadaaaahhhhh

Cheers, Allan

Nice clock Allan and just goes to prove it is the person using the equipment that counts.

Wongo
14th May 2004, 02:08 PM
just goes to prove it is the person using the equipment that counts.

Agree. I am sure Allan could have done it with a hand saw but it would have been a lot harder. :)