PDA

View Full Version : Tear out-bowl turning ?????

disperse
16th November 2008, 12:02 PM
Hi all, could someone direct me to a good page or two on how to stop/repair tear out.:~

Regards
Troy
Ps. I have tried searching, but with little luck.

dai sensei
16th November 2008, 12:09 PM
Highest speen possible, razer shape chisels with fine cuts, stabilise with thin CA if necessary and if all else fails try the 80 grit chisel.

Jim Carroll
16th November 2008, 12:15 PM
Tear out is usually caused by too agressive a cut with too big a gouge.

The large gouge is good for getting the bulk material out but it also pulls the fibres from deeper out as well.

Revet to a smaller chisel and slower feed rate and take lighter cuts, it will take a bit longer but usually means less sanding.

Blackwood is one timber that shuns from this way as it nearly always has end grain tearout., So bring out the heavy duty scraper and wet the offending areas and take very light cuts.

If all else fails then revert to the 40g roughing gouge and work up from there.

rsser
16th November 2008, 12:20 PM
Add to that: reduce your tool overhang to absolute min. Tool flex -> chatter -> rough cuts.

Also: if it's very hard or very soft wood, take the burr off your scraper.

Ed Reiss
16th November 2008, 01:05 PM
:wts:

plus....on the final clean-up cuts, put some oil (doesn't matter what kind...tung, danish, mineral, olive, vegetable, etc.) on the wood. this method helps a lot on getting clean cuts, especially on the end grain portions of the bowl.

rsser
16th November 2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, and sometimes you'll find soft woods with the grain running every which way which stays fluffy even after sanding - oil or water treatment helps swell and hold the fibres as a last resort.

Mulgabill
16th November 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks Guys! :2tsup:
Some good tips there for everyone!!

rsser
16th November 2008, 05:10 PM
... Interesting how the same issues get recylced.

Troy, there was an earlier thread on this and no the internal forum search engine is not reliable. I googled "hate sanding" + rsser and limited the search to this website. I expected it would return the earlier thread since I was a contributor.

See if this link works and the one it links to:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=51816&highlight=reduce+tearout