PDA

View Full Version : Fourex 'build a boat' promotion

Fair Dink
19th November 2008, 10:26 PM
Am I the only one concerned about this simplisticand ill-researched beer promotion?

The premis is that a bunch of 'blokes' can 'knock up' a boat with a beer in one hand.

Anything more than a paddle, oar or pole-powered craft would surely need at least basic engineering and an inherant degree of safety, but these facts seem to be brusher over.

I'm not sure the Wooden Boat Assn of NSW was consulted before their link was listed.

http://www.xxxx.com.au/boat/knowhow/

Ron Dunn
19th November 2008, 10:47 PM
Don't care.

Don't think the ads are great, but they are ads, as far divorced from reality as any other ad.

I'm sick and tired of wowsers.

Fair Dink
19th November 2008, 11:01 PM
Fair point, Ron

The unveiling of a 70 hp outboard does, however set up quite an ambitious project,

The follow-up ad shows a few bits of pine nailed together. Could be Titanic #2?

Next year it can be 'build an airliner from old telegraph poles and a few sheets of roofing iron'

Come to think of it- that's QANTAS these days.

b.o.a.t.
20th November 2008, 02:40 AM
Am I the only one concerned about this simplisticand ill-researched beer promotion?

Probably.

It's only TV mate, not the real world. :wink:

AJ

Fair Dink
20th November 2008, 10:23 AM
I don't really want to persue this topic. I was referring to the website more than the ad.

Thanks for your views.

Boatmik
20th November 2008, 01:59 PM
Don't care.

Don't think the ads are great, but they are ads, as far divorced from reality as any other ad.

I'm sick and tired of wowsers.

Don't think he is being a wowser at all. It is a legitimate criticism. You should see the links they give on the website as starting advice! One link comes to a thread on this forum which is good ... but the others are about the worst place to go.

Though the crash and burn aspects of the sikaflex challenge is a nice balance of fun.

Good to get people involved ... but these guys fire up the enthusiasm then dump people in the wrong places to make use of it.

Yep ... very ill conceived.

MIK

Fair Dink
20th November 2008, 04:53 PM
O.K. I'm back- some meaningful discussion.

Consider this; 4 banjo players try to take a gerry-built contraption oner a bar in rough conditions - there is a disaster - the real 'wosers' start legislating against amateur-built boats.

The Builer's plate is one thing, but how would our hobby be if you need a current inspection certificate before you tke your PD Racer off the trailer?

I know it all sounds "conspiracy theory" but governments work in mysterious ways- to the lowest common denominator.

Ron Dunn
20th November 2008, 05:05 PM
So I should go and stir up a bunch of medieval weaponry nutters over the beer ad using a trebuchet to fling deer and sheilas into the clouds?

It is a joke.

It might be a joke which intrudes into your areas of expertise, but it is nevertheless a joke.

And the next time somone utters the words "legislate against" in my presence, I'm going to vomit on their shoes.

(PS: Please don't take this post any more seriously than I take the ad and web site)

Fair Dink
20th November 2008, 08:24 PM
A JOKE?

You mean, there are no mermaids?

b.o.a.t.
20th November 2008, 08:44 PM
O.K. I'm back- some meaningful discussion.

Consider this; 4 banjo players try to take a gerry-built contraption oner a bar in rough conditions - there is a disaster - the real 'wosers' start legislating against amateur-built boats.

I have trouble imagining 4 beer-swilling banjo players holding focus long enough to
build a boat. Even the simplest boats take considerable commitment to complete.

The Builer's plate is one thing, but how would our hobby
be if you need a current inspection certificate before you tke your PD Racer off the trailer?

I know it all sounds "conspiracy theory" but governments work in mysterious ways -
to the lowest common denominator.

I think this will happen in due course. Unfortunately, there is a vocal minority of do-gooders
who actually believe legislation does something useful. :C We see their meddling
fingers in all sorts of places including a kayaker charged with annoying a whale when it
followed him at a distance of less than 200M along the coast south of Adelaide...

cheers
AJ

Darce
22nd November 2008, 08:39 AM

The premis is that a bunch of 'blokes' can 'knock up' a boat with a beer in one hand.

Anything more than a paddle, oar or pole-powered craft would surely need at least basic engineering and an inherant degree of safety, but these facts seem to be brusher over.

I'm not sure the Wooden Boat Assn of NSW was consulted before their link was listed.

http://www.xxxx.com.au/boat/knowhow/

Let's get our own back and build a beer!!!

STEPHEN MILLER
22nd November 2008, 09:39 AM
Lets make an annoying Ad about "Where you can get it" or " Wait there is more " or maybe "It does get it " reffering to boat coat or west system maybe:D

Or legislate against the legislators so we can legislate any need to legislate against any thing that could or might be potential legislation that in turn will require more legislation to fix the problem of the original legislation that was needed to stop the proposed legislation from stopping man inventing the wheel !!! or boat even !!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Boatmik
22nd November 2008, 11:58 PM
Howdy ... well ... I for one was interested to see what I could do with the crazy amount of internet traffic that the campaign by four x would generate. So I put some useful links up in some of the places the xxxx site linked to.

I did include a PDRacer and Eureka link ...

and the amount of traffic???

Zero ... zip. They have about 12 people involved with their utube site and their facebook group.

hehe

MIK

b.o.a.t.
23rd November 2008, 12:56 AM
Let's get our own back and build a beer!!!

Already am. :U :2tsup: :U

b.o.a.t.
23rd November 2008, 12:57 AM
Lets make an annoying Ad about "Where you can get it" or " Wait there is more " or maybe "It does get it " reffering to boat coat or west system maybe:D

Or legislate against the legislators so we can legislate any need to legislate against any thing that could or might be potential legislation that in turn will require more legislation to fix the problem of the original legislation that was needed to stop the proposed legislation from stopping man inventing the wheel !!! or boat even !!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Steve
I reckon you'd better stick to beer mate.
That soft-drink stuff does wierd things to your brain. :U
AJ