PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathe for sale on eBay - Endeavour Hills Melbourne

NeilS
20th November 2008, 11:01 AM
This Woodfast lathe re-listed here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280287050370) on eBay may be of interest for someone who doesn't particularly need swivel head function. Just 1yr old with electronic variable speed 2HP motor with outboard turning attachment. Starting bid is currently $2.5k.

Carrolls currently has same model (M9100) without the outboard attachment and sundries listed for $3k.

No connection to seller.

Neil

wands
20th November 2008, 10:30 PM
Lucky b....r is upgrading from that. :oo:

No connection - just wish I was in a position to even be able to consider upgrading from a lathe like that.

Cheers, Steve

GC
26th November 2008, 11:12 PM
relisted twice......

Would suggest a bit pricey then.

Anyone care to guess what that'd be worth then?

GC

Calm
26th November 2008, 11:34 PM
relisted twice......

GC

Now that is a great question.

It is worth what someone will pay for it

which

could be the same as what i would give for it

or

It could be what the seller has in mind but is not telling you

but

it is obviously not what it is advertised for at the moment

Unless

the potential buyer has not found it yet.

Then again if you are upgrading sometimes you have to be prepared to take a hit and let it go for less than you think it's worth.

Cheers yep i know that answer is absolutely no help.

NeilS
27th November 2008, 11:25 AM
relisted twice......

GC

Hi GC - as a rule of thumb, half the full new price is often a starting point. In this case there is a couple of extras which may or may not be of value to the buyer. Only being 1 yr old on a piece of equipment that would have many years left ahead of it would normally push the starting point above half price. Perhaps about $1,750 - $1,850 if outboard not wanted and $1850 - $1,950 if outboard required. Then supply and demand will take the price where it will go!

Assuming that the outboard attachment (worth $200 new) is of no value to you, for an extra $500 you could buy a new M910, plus get 12mths warranty. So asking price is not exactly a steal, but if you only have $2500 to spend this may be the buy for you.

Then what are the alternatives for the same price? Will you make sufficient use of this level of build to get your value for money. Woodfast typically position themselves in the institution (mainly schools and TAFE) and 'professional' turner market, they are built to last. Do you need this level of build? For about half the asking price you can get a new fully featured economy lathe that will outlast most 'hobby' turners. But, if you are looking for a robust lathe (Woodfast, Vicmarc, Stubby & perhaps Nova) then you have probably noticed they don't come on the market secondhand very often, and if they do it is usually at the other end of the country to where you live...:)

Keep in mind that the $3k price tag on a new M910 (and any other imported lathe) is likely to go up considerably with new stock when next imported with our A$ so low at moment. The Woodfast C1000X that I bought just a few weeks ago for about $2.6k is now selling for about $3.5k... ouch!

Hope that this was of more help than hindrance.

Neil

rsser
27th November 2008, 11:49 AM
btw, Carbatec Melb (national too?) have a special on a Woodfast lathe at the moment.

Big Shed
27th November 2008, 12:25 PM
At $2495 that is a good special:2tsup:

They have lots of other Christmas Specials (http://www.carbatec.com.au/pdf/ChristmasSpecials08.pdf) too, interestingly a lot of the "specials" are actually the pre-price rise catalogue price:rolleyes:

The CT110PH Cabinet Saw is on special for $1395, normal price $1795:2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
27th November 2008, 02:46 PM
Hi GC - as a rule of thumb, half the full new price is often a starting point. In this case there is a couple of extras which may or may not be of value to the buyer. Only being 1 yr old on a piece of equipment that would have many years left ahead of it would normally push the starting point above half price. Perhaps about $1,750 - $1,850 if outboard not wanted and $1850 - $1,950 if outboard required. Then supply and demand will take the price where it will go!

Assuming that the outboard attachment (worth $200 new) is of no value to you, for an extra $500 you could buy a new M910, plus get 12mths warranty. So asking price is not exactly a steal, but if you only have $2500 to spend this may be the buy for you.

Then what are the alternatives for the same price? Will you make sufficient use of this level of build to get your value for money. Woodfast typically position themselves in the institution (mainly schools and TAFE) and 'professional' turner market, they are built to last. Do you need this level of build? For about half the asking price you can get a new fully featured economy lathe that will outlast most 'hobby' turners. But, if you are looking for a robust lathe (Woodfast, Vicmarc, Stubby & perhaps Nova) then you have probably noticed they don't come on the market secondhand very often, and if they do it is usually at the other end of the country to where you live...:)

Keep in mind that the $3k price tag on a new M910 (and any other imported lathe) is likely to go up considerably with new stock when next imported with our A$ so low at moment. The Woodfast C1000X that I bought just a few weeks ago for about $2.6k is now selling for about $3.5k... ouch!

Hope that this was of more help than hindrance.

Neil

Good analysis, Neil. It would be interesting to complement the point of " fully featured economy" as compared to "robust" lathe with a further element, call it precision, technical refinement, or something like that relating to overall quality. My interest has been aroused because I chose a lathe which seems to be a compromise between all these, the Jet 1440.

Having learnt the ropes on a TAFE Woodfast I would say that kilo for kilo of cast iron the Jet is at least as "robust". It has more features (variable speed and rotating headstock) but the experts seem to think that the Woodfast "quality" is much better. That is not immediately evident to the hobbyist like me who does not know any better.

If in the concept of "robustness" we also include the fact that what you do not have ( eg variable speed) does not break down the argument gets a bit circular.

Given that virtually all the price difference is justified by this difference in "quality" it would be very useful to know which are objective criteria to measure that quality so that an informed decision about their cost and benefit to the individual buyer can be made.

rsser
27th November 2008, 02:57 PM
Yes, and don't assume that the quality of 'old' Woodfast is the same as new, Chinese made WF.

GC
27th November 2008, 10:48 PM
Wow thanks for the Carba-Tec tip. Think a visit to Springvale may be on the cards.

GC

NeilS
28th November 2008, 09:47 AM
btw, Carbatec Melb (national too?) have a special on a Woodfast lathe at the moment.

:2tsup:spotting, Ern.

At $2.5k that's very good value. Don't like the chances of that eBay seller getting the same $ for the same model, second hand.

Neil

NeilS
28th November 2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, and don't assume that the quality of 'old' Woodfast is the same as new, Chinese made WF.

Good point Ern. It is yet to be seen how well the Chinese made WF will stand the test of time compared to the earlier Australian made WF. As far as I can tell at this early stage the level of finish appears to be up to their usual standard. The material quality in the castings and fittings will be the ultimate test.

Of course the Chinese will build a product to whatever quality the customer requires. However, most Chinese products have been made to the lowest possible price, so we tend to associate Chinese made with lowest quality. That was the case with Japanese made when they first started manufacturing for the west, but as we now know they can and do make some of the best optical, electronic and automotive, etc., goods. Perhaps some products manufactured in China have also now started to move above 'make it as cheap as possible' range. I'm hoping that is the case with the WFs.

Neil

NeilS
28th November 2008, 11:48 AM
Good analysis, Neil. It would be interesting to complement the point of " fully featured economy" as compared to "robust" lathe with a further element, call it precision, technical refinement, or something like that relating to overall quality. My interest has been aroused because I chose a lathe which seems to be a compromise between all these, the Jet 1440.

Having learnt the ropes on a TAFE Woodfast I would say that kilo for kilo of cast iron the Jet is at least as "robust". It has more features (variable speed and rotating headstock) but the experts seem to think that the Woodfast "quality" is much better. That is not immediately evident to the hobbyist like me who does not know any better.

If in the concept of "robustness" we also include the fact that what you do not have ( eg variable speed) does not break down the argument gets a bit circular.

Given that virtually all the price difference is justified by this difference in "quality" it would be very useful to know which are objective criteria to measure that quality so that an informed decision about their cost and benefit to the individual buyer can be made.

Frank - I'm not sure that I can readily or satisfactorily provide objective criteria on what I mean by 'quality', but here are some thoughts on what I would look for.

Alignments indicate engineering tolerances

The smoothness and firmness of adjustments are an indication of finer engineering tolerance.

The finish quality of the machining is some indication of overall quality of the engineering, but that could just be surface deep window dressing.

How smoothly does it run unloaded - any vibration may indicate misalignment of drive components which will be amplified under load.

Sufficient embedded mass and stand construction - important to reduce vibration

A reasonable match between power and swing capacity, a little reserve power is better.

Number, configuration and specs for bearings is another indicator or quality

Source and design of electronic components may indicate reliability - I have found the European designed and built ones to be very reliable

Some of the quality in the build won't be evident until the lathe has been used constantly for a few years. Perhaps you can see or feel the robustness of the components that may indicate that they will last the distance, but looks can be deceptive. Your own experience over time and that of others will be the final arbiter on robustness. If, for example, or Raffan should say, that's been a good lathe, then I'd take that recommendation as an indicator of robust quality.

So for what it is worth, albeit quite subjective, that is how I would look for quality as distinct from function and features in a lathe. Then it comes down to how much you need or are prepared to pay for that quality.

Neil

rsser
28th November 2008, 04:49 PM
As an aside, I have a one-year old WF bandsaw and am underwhelmed by the price/quality ratio.

NeilS
28th November 2008, 07:15 PM
As an aside, I have a one-year old WF bandsaw and am underwhelmed by the price/quality ratio.

Yep, their bandsaws and dust extractors haven't been as good as their lathes. And it is yet to be seen if their more recent lathes are still holding their own.

Neil