PDA

View Full Version : Thinning Araldite

Grumpy John
20th November 2008, 03:53 PM
"Very cool piece GJ! Lots of patience and determination on your part.

For ref., the 5 min. and 30 min. two part epoxy can be thinned with DNA to help it flow into tiny spaces."

The statement above was made by Texian in my Chinese Elm WIP. Just out of interest has any one thinned Araldite using DNA (Metho in Oz).

Does it affect the curing time of the Araldite?

Do you mix the Araldite as usual then add the metho until you have the consistency you require?

Any and all information appreciated.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Frank&Earnest
20th November 2008, 04:12 PM
AFAIK epoxy is thinned with acetone or xylene (after mixing and yes it slows it down), not metho, but I am no expert. Was that supposed to be paternal or maternal DNA?:D

Grumpy John
20th November 2008, 04:15 PM
AFAIK epoxy is thinned with acetone or xylene, not metho, but I am no expert. Was that supposed to be paternal or maternal DNA?:D

Thanks Frank, same questions apply.

Frank&Earnest
20th November 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Frank, same questions apply.
You caught me while I was still editing.:)

Grumpy John
20th November 2008, 04:25 PM
I just got off the dog n bone to Selleys and they recommended Metho or Acetone or a mix of 2 parts toluene to 1 part alcohol. None of these will weaken the bond strength and all are suitable for cleanup before curing.

Frank&Earnest
20th November 2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for answering your question and mine.:)

Grumpy John
20th November 2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for answering your question and mine.:)
Sometimes we just get too lazy and depend on others to do our research for us. I know this is the first place I come to for all sorts of information now.

hughie
21st November 2008, 10:46 AM
Aha! just what I needed. This will be very handy with brass powder in crack filling, as CA or super glues goes off too quick in the thin variety and wont fill in the slow gel type.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st November 2008, 02:58 PM
Obviously not much chop with 5 min Araldite, though... otherwise by the time you mix, then thin it, it will be "metho on the rocks.". :rolleyes:

RETIRED
21st November 2008, 03:42 PM
Could be a new taste sensation?:D

Cliff Rogers
21st November 2008, 04:01 PM
...by the time you mix, then thin it, it will be "metho on the rocks.". :rolleyes:

Could be a new taste sensation?:D

It would have a grippy finish. :think:

Frank&Earnest
21st November 2008, 04:38 PM
"metho on the rocks.". :rolleyes:
I have it from a good source that they mix it with milk.:D

Frank&Earnest
21st November 2008, 04:58 PM
Aha! just what I needed. This will be very handy with brass powder in crack filling, as CA or super glues goes off too quick in the thin variety and wont fill in the slow gel type.

I am happy with brass powder (coffee, etc) mixed with slow 2 part epoxy. The consistency is good enough to press into small cracks, but flowing enough that it is necessary to tape the bottom of the wider ones, say over 2mm, lest gravity pulls it down. Anything less than 1/2 mm is probably not worth inlaying IMHO. Slowing down the quick setting type saves some time, but whether it is worth the added difficulty to get it right would depend on individual circumstances and preferences, I suppose.

echnidna
21st November 2008, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't mess around thinning araldite.
Just buy some West System Epoxy, its already thin and much cheaper than Selleys

OGYT
23rd November 2008, 12:09 PM
Okay. Somebody help the poor yank. What's araldyte? :D

Frank&Earnest
23rd November 2008, 12:35 PM

Local brand name for quick setting 2 part epoxy.:)

Grumpy John
23rd November 2008, 02:40 PM

Links supplied :).
http://www.selleystrade.com.au/Araldite-Super-Strength/default.aspx

http://www.adhesivehelp.com/vantico.html

OGYT
24th November 2008, 05:58 AM
I appreciate the info from both of you. Thanks. It's more of a "putty" style of epoxy, than a liquid, so I wouldn't try to thin it, either. I'd go with the liquid type myself.
I buy that stuff they sell in the borgs here, it comes in a dual tube, and when you push the plunger, you get equal amounts of each. I learned from Hughie that you can mix it with acetone to thin it, if necessary. (I think it was Hughie);
When I have some really small, hairline, cracks that I want to fill, when I'm using crushed turquoise elsewhere on the vessel, I'll give it a shot of thin CA, wipe with paper towel, rub turq powder from the bottom of the jar across the crack, and give it another shot of CA. It works pretty well in thin cracks.

Cliff Rogers
24th November 2008, 10:00 AM
....comes in a dual tube, and when you push the plunger, you get equal amounts of each. ....

We can buy Araldite that way too.

Frank&Earnest
24th November 2008, 12:22 PM
When I have some really small, hairline, cracks that I want to fill, when I'm using crushed turquoise elsewhere on the vessel, I'll give it a shot of thin CA, wipe with paper towel, rub turq powder from the bottom of the jar across the crack, and give it another shot of CA. It works pretty well in thin cracks.

Yep, that's what I was saying also about very fine cracks. The only difference is that instead of an inlay powder for these fine, generally multiple cracks which obviously follow the stress lines of the wood I prefer powder sanded off the wood itself, i.e. hiding instead of highlighting. Conversely, I prefer chiseling out the profile of the larger cracks to be inlaid so that they look like a decoration, not just filled cracks. Different style but same techniques. :2tsup: