PDA

View Full Version : pine boards

dzcook
20th April 2004, 11:32 PM
well scored a whole lot of cheap ( ie FREE ) rm divider panels about 1.8mt square doudle sided with pine tongue and groove boards ( like a little wall with framing etc ) varnished and about 10 yrs old have dissmantled them and was thinking off useing the pieces to line a room with thought of using them turned over ie the unvarnished side to the rm interior and then painting then ( easier to fill old nail holes etc ) and also dsoent date as fast as varnished pieces ??

now was wondering to make neater joins ( the pieces are only 1.8 mtrs long ) should i angle cut the ends wher they join on the studs as then would stagger the pieces alng the wall studs ?? hope u get the idea 1 join on stud 1 next on stud 4 next on stud 3 or what ever

did think about just cuting the peces all the same size and then just run a cover strip up the middle to cover the joint but that way would end up with a lot of little pices left over ( the rm is about 3mtres wide ) and the rest of the hse is full of cover strips anyway so a extra few would not matter but would haveing all the boards nailed into the one stud weaken it ?

am thinking of time as well as waste here but as i got the boards for free the cost is not a bigy the rm is currently lined only on 1 side , old qlder

so open to any ideas

thks david

ps the old hse has been restumped during the easter break so am slowly getting on with it , wont tell u how many tudes of no more gaps i have used either but the rms are starting to look useable

julianx
21st April 2004, 12:04 AM
Hi David

My 2 bobs worth

first I'm assuming you are talking about V.Js or beaded pine boards.

I don't think you will get an invisible Joint whether you but join or splice and personally I think that many joints will look ugly.
The cover strips sound better ,if you're worried about spitting the stud wack another one in beside it.

Have you thought about battening out the studs and running the boards verticaly, this way you could have a nice neat picture rail 1800 off the floor.

Julian

seriph1
31st May 2004, 07:02 PM
am wondering if you have horizontal boards in the room already and if so are they old?

If not old then these newies will look fine I guess - but if the others are old then will they look ok next to the others?

Been a couple of years since I looked through a genuine Qlder, so cant recall if the boards were V joint or Regency bead .... would be keen to know though, if you could tell me

cheers

dzcook
31st May 2004, 11:47 PM
the boards i am using ( in the hse i am doing up ) are newies they are single width about 100ml wide and i think they would be the v cut u where talking about ?

the old hse i live in has boards about 170ml wide with a rolled edge at the top is this what u mean by the regency shape ? i uncovered them in this hse when i removed all the masonite from the walls
david

seriph1
1st June 2004, 08:49 AM
ok - it is possible to make the new boards regency bead as well using a router and the correct bit.

the concern I have is how the two different sizes/styles might look in the same room....

.... you musta been happy to see the lovely boards underneath the masonite! I know that feeling as we have a 120 yr old home here in Victoria which had masonite on the walls - when we unconvered one room we found old regency-bead pine lining.